The REIGN OF TERROR is over! RIAA no longer suing downloaders!
Dec 20, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #16 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RIAA was only a threat if people were stealing music. Otherwise, why worry?

Ian

Only, they consider you ripping your own CD and loading them into your MP3 player is stealling.

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #17 of 83
Yes, that's over the top, but I think they were targeting Internet users and haven't got anyone on the street yet with an mp3 player.

It's not possible to enforce the ripping of your own CD's. That would also make it difficult to use the DVD recorders which are blatantly used to record TV.

Reminds me of the old days of CB radio in the UK. It wasn't illegal to own an American (am) CB, but it was illegal to use it.

For some reason, I thought that ripping your own CD for personal purposes was legal.

Actually, I have bought MORE music since MP3 appeared. If I really liked something, then I've tended to go for better quality recordings.

I'd better hide then.

Ian

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 83
They want to set a precedent by successfully suing ISPs, to force them to censor our access to the internet. They are already doing this in Australia, suing a major ISP. If anything this is bad news. We can only pray that they fail, or our internet will end up being slowed down to a grinding halt (such as it is in China) while everything we access is filtered.

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #19 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I have bought MORE music since MP3 appeared. If I really liked something, then I've tended to go for better quality recordings.

I'd better hide then.

Ian

This is the trend with me also, as I listen to more music online, from any source(last.fm lately), I tend to buy more cd's and albums to listen to the best quality I can.
I still shop my local used music stores, and have bought a few used cd's on Amazon, not to prove a point, just because I'm cheap
icon10.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #20 of 83
That's how much out of touch they are with this digital DNA age. This age, people don't really use their CD players to listen to their purchased CDs but rather as a source to rip. Having hundreds and thousands of music on a portable music player made it very convenient for a listener to explore new genres and artists than they ever would with conventional CDs thus strengthening the whole music industry. If RIAA doesn't realize that and keep coming up with ideas to intimidate people, then more and more people will start stealing the music and it would only kill them in return.

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not good news, I'm a bit irritated with all of you for jumping up and celebrating

It's like you only read half of the news? Don't you understand the implications? Here comes a blow to the internet, and our freedom.

Not quite. They're quickly going to find it impossible to tell the difference between traffic. My guess is that filesharers will find a new scheme to make their use look the same as a videoconference or other legitimate business purpose. If ISPs start losing business because legitimate customers are throttled, they're going to fight back. I don't believe that ISPs are liable for what their customers do, so the RIAA has no legal right to enforce this, other than by agreement. If that agreement becomes unprofitable for the ISPs, they'll stop agreeing to it.

Also, this does nothing to stop filesharing off the Internet. If I put my library on a $25 hard drive and give it to my friend, they would never know and could do nothing to stop it.

I'm just waiting for Big Music to run out of money. Only then will things get better.

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #22 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who ever had the bright idea to sue one's customers mercilessly as a strategy to stop lost profits anyway?

Well, if someone is downloading music illegally, then they're not a customer of the RIAA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This makes me think how damn stupid they were in the first place thinking that they could intimidate people by suing hard working everyday people.

So it's okay for hard working people to steal?

Quote:

That's how much out of touch they are with this digital DNA age. This age, people don't really use their CD players to listen to their purchased CDs but rather as a source to rip.

Speak for yourself. There are still some of us dinosaurs out there.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not good news, I'm a bit irritated with all of you for jumping up and celebrating

It's like you only read half of the news? Don't you understand the implications? Here comes a blow to the internet, and our freedom.

Hi there, are my PM's (2) reaching you?

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #24 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it's okay for hard working people to steal?

Depends on the definition of "steal". Is it such a big crime for a person to download handful of songs from internet? I don't know. Do RIAA think it's a terrible crime? Yes, and they choose to go against weak, vulerable people to make their case. Sure, it's easier to attack those people but it's nowhere an effective way to send the message.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speak for yourself. There are still some of us dinosaurs out there.

I sort of imagine someone would say this since I, too, have a vintage cd player. But I was more or less speaking for the majority of the popularity. I think we're the minority when it comes to CD player vs. MP3 player battle.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #25 of 83
Quote:

Depends on the definition of "steal". Is it such a big crime for a person to download handful of songs from internet? I don't know.

Since the U.S. Copyright Act grants to the copyright owner the exclusive right to make copies of and distribute the work, there is little doubt that it is stealing. The only defense to making unauthorized copies is "fair use". I know of at least one Federal Court that has specifically rejected the argument that uploading and downloading mp3's constitutes a fair use.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #26 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the U.S. Copyright Act grants to the copyright owner the exclusive right to make copies of and distribute the work, there is little doubt that it is stealing. The only defense to making unauthorized copies is "fair use". I know of at least one Federal Court that has specifically rejected the argument that uploading and downloading mp3's constitutes a fair use.

Theft deprives an owner of their content. Downloading does not do this. It is copyright infringement, but it is NOT stealing.

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #27 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Theft deprives an owner of their content. Downloading does not do this. It is copyright infringement, but it is NOT stealing.

Admitted. I was only referring to the poster's apparent belief that copying was not wrongful.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #29 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Still illegal.

I don't get what the problem is here. Don't break the law, and there's nothing to worry about.

I have not, do not, and will not download music illegally. The only music I download is live recordings from www.archive.org, which does not constitute copyright infringement, and which I use to find new bands so that I can buy their CDs, like a regular ol' law-abiding music lover.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #30 of 83
I don't know about you guys, but before buying a CD i download it first to see if i like it. If i do i buy it because i want to have certainty to have highest quality sound possible (you know we're all crazy about that stuff), and if i don't i delete it because it's useless to me. There were many cases i got disappointed with quality of music/recording like that new album from Metallica for example, so i find torrents and similar very useful for trying before buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back