The REIGN OF TERROR is over! RIAA no longer suing downloaders!
Dec 20, 2008 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
"The Recording Industry Association of America said on Friday it had abandoned mass lawsuits against Internet users who steal music, and instead would work with Internet service providers to discourage piracy."

http://www.reuters.com/article/music...4BJ07620081220

HUZZAH!!!

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 83
One has to wonder how many innocent people will have their bandwidth throttled.

I don't pirate music, but I buy everything either used or directly from the band. No more money to the RIAA from me.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 83
who ever had the bright idea to sue one's customers mercilessly as a strategy to stop lost profits anyway?

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 83
Yes, instead they will pleasure the ISP to do the dirty job for them. I foresee the same group of blood sucking lawyers will still continue to do the same thing, just different employers.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 83
Music is too commercial nowadays..i dont even listen to half of these commercialized artists..their vocals are poor..and the music is all the same..catchy beats

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #10 of 83
Yes, cartels peddling their wares to those of us needing our fix, without any real interest in the product per se. I dumped all free downloads years ago, sometime after Nxpxtxr first hit the internet, but that was for the purpose of respecting living artists, who needed to make a living. However, I enjoyed the feeling of getting the free stuff when Nxpxtxr first started like many of us here. What's funny is that I started buying more CD's based on hearing free tunes that I didn't know about otherwise. So my conscience is clear now. :wink:

Dec 20, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #11 of 83
Really great news!
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #12 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One has to wonder how many innocent people will have their bandwidth throttled.

I don't pirate music, but I buy everything either used or directly from the band. No more money to the RIAA from me.

I'm pretty much the same way now, though I still listen before I buy. Last.fm and similar places are where I find a lot of new artists or artists I hadn't ever heard before.

These days, buying from the bands is even easier than ever before, because usually you can order CDs right off the band's website for prices far lower than what it'd cost you at a big-box music store. I purchased all four of Isis' studio albums directly from their online store at $10 an album.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We need a music industry collapse, so it can be rebuilt by those who actually give a darn, and let these bums go think up a new scheme for Wall St.

This.

This happened to the video game industry in the mid-80s and the industry got so much better because of it.

Electronic Arts came very, very close to being another Atari, but they have been changing their behavior recently and now I don't see another video game crash on the horizon.

The market is a shifting, ever-changing environment that has a life of its own. Companies who cannot adapt to the demands of consumers will fall to creative destruction.

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 83
This is not good news, I'm a bit irritated with all of you for jumping up and celebrating

It's like you only read half of the news? Don't you understand the implications? Here comes a blow to the internet, and our freedom.

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #15 of 83
This makes me think how damn stupid they were in the first place thinking that they could intimidate people by suing hard working everyday people.

Why not sue celebrities? I'm pretty sure they do it too. Wouldn't it be more effective to sue John Mayer and lock him up for the rest of his life to tell the message? Nooooo. They won't do it because they're afraid that he won't sign the next contract if they do.

I buy lots of CDs and digital downloads to support the artists that I love and admire but what RIAA does is nothing but discouraging people to not buy the music. I just hope they come more to their senses now and get rid of their stupid DRMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back