The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Mar 20, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #9,931 of 10,006
Speaking of Eastern European tubes, my tube man just let me another interesting one. This 6SN7GTA has Telefunken markings but based on his info and from here it seems likely that this is made by RFT. Curiously the ring getter looks very TFK-ish though…

I haven’t had the time to test it yet, maybe tonight.

This doesn't look like the RFT 6SN7 I've seen. I think it is a Telefunken.

For starters, check out the ribs and folds on the plates (vs flat, welded on RFT).

Here's a pic of the RFT 6SN7 (not mine, but same construction) from the internet:
1710963884717.jpeg

Let us know how it sounds!!

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #9,932 of 10,006
This doesn't look like the RFT 6SN7 I've seen. I think it is a Telefunken.

For starters, check out the ribs and folds on the plates (vs flat, welded on RFT).

Here's a pic of the RFT 6SN7 (not mine, but same construction) from the internet:

Let us know how it sounds!!
Yeah, that halo getter and the welding to the rod sure look like TFK made.

Mar 21, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #9,933 of 10,006
Been listening to the “Frankie” 7n7 for most of the week. It reminds me a lot of the round plate NU 7n7, clearly a high quality tube but I can’t make it work with my current set up. It is very open sounding and generally well balanced. I just can’t find an output tube that really jells with it to give me the combo of sweetness, extension, or detail. It’s missing something for me.

Speaking of missing something, the BL63 is a tube that I just can’t get to work on my PP amp. Apparently it just isn’t biased properly or something. Always sound like it can’t drive the outputs well, the sound gets thin and the soundstage collapses. It’s a pity because I love it so much in my SE amp. Since I had mostly been playing with my PP amp for months I forgot about it. Now that I’m only using my SE amp (for a little bit) I remembered this tube. It is everything I remember. Rich is the word that springs to mind first. Not the most detailed or open sounding tube but it gives me what I always associate with MOV tubes. Creamy timbres, lushness, richness. It’s a bit chocolate cake-like with this amp. Love it with jazz in particular.

The prices of these have gone higher recently though you can still get ok-ish prices if you’re patient. Just watch out for the higher heater draw, not every amp can handle it. You’ll need the same adapter as used with the 6f8g/6c8g.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #9,934 of 10,006
@TLO @raindownthunda
Thanks for the tips. It does look like TFK made when comparing the getter construction to my TFK E88CC but I am still not too clear because TFK has no history of making this tube?

IMG_6121.jpeg

As for the sound it kinda reminds me of the Elrog: seems detailed, neutral and airy if not a bit lean with great extension. There is a sweetness that I really like in the midrange.

I will try to compare against the Sylvania 6SN7W metal base and Tesla 6CC1 soon.

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #9,936 of 10,006
@TLO @raindownthunda
Thanks for the tips. It does look like TFK made when comparing the getter construction to my TFK E88CC but I am still not too clear because TFK has no history of making this tube?

IMG_6121.jpeg

As for the sound it kinda reminds me of the Elrog: seems detailed, neutral and airy if not a bit lean with great extension. There is a sweetness that I really like in the midrange.

I will try to compare against the Sylvania 6SN7W metal base and Tesla 6CC1 soon.
If it looks like a Tele and sounds like a Tele. . .

Mar 21, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #9,940 of 10,006
This is the third tube I ordered off eBay in my blind buying spree that finally arrived today. This is actually THE tube to pique my interest in buying different tubes for the Lyr+. Wife likes the look of this one as well so maybe it’s a sign that I can have a tube amp in the common living room as well at some point. 😂

IMG_0263.jpeg

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #9,941 of 10,006
@TLO @raindownthunda

Update : After a couple of days, the Sylvania 6SN7W metal base overall still seems to pull a bit ahead (used in the EC Balancing Act, with KR PX4 power tubes and Focal Utopia OG). It has this sparkle in the top end but without harshness (my favourite feature), the Telefunken seems a bit rougher in this area. The Telefunken is possibly more detailed and has an edge in separation but has a leaner sound compared to the Sylvania. Hmm... let's see if I can solve this issue with a different power tube.

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #9,942 of 10,006
Seems so, according to reliable source right here.

"However, in the chaos after the war, RFT acquired the former Telefunken factory located in Neuhaus"
Since the subject of RFT came up (and I wasn’t sure where else to ask) has anyone used the EC360 tube made by RFT? It’s an interesting looking tube and seems able to be run at either 6.3V or 12.6V. I’ve not seen this tube before- has anyone tried it?

Attachments

• ec360.pdf
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #9,943 of 10,006
Since the subject of RFT came up (and I wasn’t sure where else to ask) has anyone used the EC360 tube made by RFT? It’s an interesting looking tube and seems able to be run at either 6.3V or 12.6V. I’ve not seen this tube before- has anyone tried it?
Similar to the 6C41C soviet-era regulator. It's a low mu output triode, not an alternative to a 6SN7 or a 6J5. A pair could replace a 6080 in an OTL amp. Just as a pair of CV4079/A2293s or ED8000s can.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #9,944 of 10,006
Similar to the 6C41C soviet-era regulator. It's a low mu output triode, not an alternative to a 6SN7 or a 6J5. A pair could replace a 6080 in an OTL amp. Just as a pair of CV4079/A2293s or ED8000s can.
@LobalWarming
👍 Thank you!

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #9,945 of 10,006
Sigh. Gave in and ordered another tube. Metal based b36 tubes have gotten crazy expensive. I already had one but needed a companion to use in my amp. Not new but I'm ok with used tested tubes from dealers. I'm hoping this is the last expensive (for me) tube I buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back