The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Jun 27, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #2,101 of 10,028
Shhhh

Everything has to be somewhere and at that moment I just needed a place to set it down lol.. My wife has the shop already so I am setting up dual amps to check an 86 Melz against the 63, amps, cables, everything is as identical as I can get it. Source is a Gungnir with some special test tracks where I can concentrate on any portion of the sound spectrum.

I already shared my secret of lighted tubes in a headphone rack with you, you should take that to the grave.

If I look around some more I might find more Melz tubes but I did come across some from 63,69,73, and 86 so I have a small assortment but I will concentrate on 63 and 86 right now. Power tubes will be matched winged C Svetlanas from 1979, and maybe later some Tung Sol 5998's.

Tubes and switch boxes are in place, I may check out the 73's vs the 63 and 86 if I get time.

The bass is a bit more pronounced on the 86 version but a little muddled compared to the 63.IMHO, mids are definitely more pronounced on the 86 as I said earlier. I am monitoring volume levels with meters on each amp to assure all is equal.

I am happy listening to either but side by side there are certainly differences. These are just initial reactions, more testing to follow.

I am picking out things in the 63's I do not hear as well with the 86 version, generally low frequency range.

The 73 is like a cross between the two, I will have to listen to this one more. A test track that is fairly accessible is Daft Punk's Around the World, it is pretty redundant but that is a good thing when you are switching back and forth between tubes.

They are all interesting in their own way but for bass accuracy I would go with the 63, then the 73, and lastly the 86. Mids are more out front in the 86, 73 is more linear like the 63. I can understand anyone loving the Melz from any of those three decades.

73 has much higher bass thump than a 69, about to try a 56 Melz with most of the same parts, just to see where it stacks up.

Ok this tube shows promise but I need to listen to a few more. Bill I may have to send you a 73 and an 80's Melz so you can listen in the Incubus. Also if you have an Melz with the metal top wings, stepped bottom mica but no holes in the plate, let me know, 55,56, and 57 preferably. Bill the 73 and 86 are only loaners, keep that in mind. :ksc75smile:

No worries. I'll return them promptly. Subjective return terms are always best. :)

And sorry to say I struck out on the non-hole plate Melz. I have '52's, '54's, 56's and '57's, but none of them have the 1578 features -- all have the plastic mica supports up top and both top and bottom micas are oval. Bummer.

But lo and behold I *did* get this and a Chatham graphite plate today. The Priority Mail box looked like it had been run over by a truck (and probably was), but the tubes seemed to survive the brutality. Both the Tung Sol and the Chatham test quite nicely right at NOS levels and with decently (but not perfectly) balanced triodes. The 3rd tube? Well, the seller DID state it was a freebie which is a good thing as it's pretty close to dead at 250 GM (675 is minimum good on the Hickok for a 6080) and extremely high interelement leakage on both triodes. Have no idea who made it -- only marking on it is "6080WB" up top with a '307' below that (not a valid EIA code). Plates are graphite but totally different shape than the TS and Chatham, and it has dual O getters up top versus the dual D getters in both the TS and Chatham. And no, I haven't listened yet...just got here about an hour ago. Special delivery 4 days late. :)

Tung Sol 6080 Graphite Plate.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #2,102 of 10,028
No worries. I'll return them promptly. Subjective return terms are always best. :)

And sorry to say I struck out on the non-hole plate Melz. I have '52's, '54's, 56's and '57's, but none of them have the 1578 features -- all have the plastic mica supports up top and both top and bottom micas are oval. Bummer.

But lo and behold I *did* get this and a Chatham graphite plate today. The Priority Mail box looked like it had been run over by a truck (and probably was), but the tubes seemed to survive the brutality. Both the Tung Sol and the Chatham test quite nicely right at NOS levels and with decently (but not perfectly) balanced triodes. The 3rd tube? Well, the seller DID state it was a freebie which is a good thing as it's pretty close to dead at 250 GM (675 is minimum good on the Hickok for a 6080) and extremely high interelement leakage on both triodes. Have no idea who made it -- only marking on it is "6080WB" up top with a '307' below that (not a valid EIA code). Plates are graphite but totally different shape than the TS and Chatham, and it has dual O getters up top versus the dual D getters in both the TS and Chatham. And no, I haven't listened yet...just got here about an hour ago. Special delivery 4 days late. :)

At some point listen to the Tung Sol with the 63 Melz and see what you think. The Chatham is no slouch as well. It you get a good buy on a 73 Melz 1578 go for it, an extraordinary tube.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #2,103 of 10,028
Shhhh

Everything has to be somewhere and at that moment I just needed a place to set it down lol.. My wife has the shop already so I am setting up dual amps to check an 86 Melz against the 63, amps, cables, everything is as identical as I can get it. Source is a Gungnir with some special test tracks where I can concentrate on any portion of the sound spectrum.

I already shared my secret of lighted tubes in a headphone rack with you, you should take that to the grave.

If I look around some more I might find more Melz tubes but I did come across some from 63,69,73, and 86 so I have a small assortment but I will concentrate on 63 and 86 right now. Power tubes will be matched winged C Svetlanas from 1979, and maybe later some Tung Sol 5998's.

Tubes and switch boxes are in place, I may check out the 73's vs the 63 and 86 if I get time.
I spy, a pair Alpha Prime.

Nice! There are like 5 or 6 different versions of the graphite plate 6080WB all made by Bendix. I look forward to hearing your impressions. That one in the picture has the thickest plates of all the versions.

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #2,105 of 10,028

Nice military Bendix...congrats

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #2,106 of 10,028
After receivtng two more pairs of 6n8s metal base tube made in 1952 today, now I have 5 pairs of 6n8s metal base tubes in addition to 3 pairs of 1578 tubes made in 1980 and 83.

6n8s metal base sounds more female like with nuanced details while 1578 sounds more robust with deeper bass.

I will take turns at tubes depending on my mood.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #2,108 of 10,028
Only since you restarted your incessant tube rolling... :wink:

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #2,110 of 10,028
At some point listen to the Tung Sol with the 63 Melz and see what you think. The Chatham is no slouch as well. It you get a good buy on a 73 Melz 1578 go for it, an extraordinary tube.
Thinking I lucked out big time with that 73' (got it on a blind bid ) =)

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #2,111 of 10,028
Jul 2, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #2,112 of 10,028
After receivtng two more pairs of 6n8s metal base tube made in 1952 today, now I have 5 pairs of 6n8s metal base tubes in addition to 3 pairs of 1578 tubes made in 1980 and 83.

6n8s metal base sounds more female like with nuanced details while 1578 sounds more robust with deeper bass.

I will take turns at tubes depending on my mood.

"Female like"? I love it! Sweeter and kinder, right?

Except females don't have tubes, they have sockets. :)

(sorry for that....I must been infected by @Ripper2860 -vid19 somehow...)

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #2,113 of 10,028
Is it just me or tubes in general have come up in prices by a huge margin lately... by a lot.

Only the expensive ones. :)

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #2,114 of 10,028
My very first upgrade purchase was the "new" Tung Sol 6SN7GTB. That was a few years ago. It replaced a no name tube and was held to it's highest esteem by me. As my collection grew it's use was less and less. But it stood out as my first, right there,top shelf, right corner, tucked away. Once in a while, I'd bring it out for a short listen, just to remember and relive that very first purchase/upgrade. I sadly sold her yesterday. Hoping she brings joy to the next person in her lifes journey.

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,115 of 10,028
What do you say about this valve?

Attachments

• CB48F04F-9863-44C9-83BF-08919DBAC328.jpeg
    CB48F04F-9863-44C9-83BF-08919DBAC328.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back