The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Jun 25, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #2,071 of 10,123
Never did get hold of the Bendix 6080 graphite plate. In the UK its another tube that's impossible to find at a reasonable price.
Got ya. They are on another level compared to all the other 6080's, but are getting harder and harder to find.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,072 of 10,123
How bout the Bendix 6080WB graphite plate? I am curious if you have you heard that one? I have the 5998 too, but it can't hold a candle next to the Bendix, for my taste. Pair the Bendix with a Tung-Sol BGRP, and magic happens.

Canare RCA connectors and boots and their cable or Belden 1505 would be my guess for your interconnects.

Getting back to 6sn7's, I am having a discussion with a Russain on what he believes 1578's are, what he has to say:

Thanks Tom. On ebay many write to me questions about whether I have tubes of 1578 60s. I explain to everyone that in the 60s there were no 1578 tubes, they appeared in the 70s. In fact, this is all the same 6n8s, but selected from a large batch for the balance of plates in one tube.

Basically he is explaining when some were marked 1578 starting in the 70's but they are the same tube. This is one person's thought on these, ask someone else, get a different answer I suppose, but this is a gentleman I know and trust and he is careful not to call his 63 Melz 1578's, just trying to be honest. Knowing what kind of solder they had, I would be amazed if very many were well balanced until that was replaced.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,073 of 10,123
I had been back and forth between Rca vt231 and Kenrad vt231.

Rca give more spark and air.

Eva Cassidy's voice is more exciting through Rca.

KR give more sweet and laid back sound,

KR has a good reputation of bass but compared with RCA just tad a bit more fullness.

RCA appears to have slightly wider soundstage than KR.

So far, my conclusion is that they sound different but I can not say which is better.

It will depend on personal taste, system and genre of music.

So far I had paid between 50-170$ per pairs of Nos 6sn7 tubes including RCA and KR.

But pair of Tungsol BGRP cost me 575$ including shipping.:gs1000smile:

I expect to get TSbgrp on Tuesday.

But I am not sure whether I will like it in my system.

Sylvania vt 231 sounds a little bit hot in my system and TS may sound similar to Syl.

I will have my finger crossed.

I just bought RCA Vt231 and Ken Rad Vt231 and agree with your impressions. The only observation is that Ken Rad's stage is a little deeper. However, the RCA stage is wider.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #2,074 of 10,123
ThomasKong78 - Was the Ken Rad used in the comparison the transparent glass or the black glass?

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #2,075 of 10,123
Canare RCA connectors and boots and their cable or Belden 1505 would be my guess for your interconnects.

Getting back to 6sn7's, I am having a discussion with a Russain on what he believes 1578's are, what he has to say:

Thanks Tom. On ebay many write to me questions about whether I have tubes of 1578 60s. I explain to everyone that in the 60s there were no 1578 tubes, they appeared in the 70s. In fact, this is all the same 6n8s, but selected from a large batch for the balance of plates in one tube.

Basically he is explaining when some were marked 1578 starting in the 70's but they are the same tube. This is one person's thought on these, ask someone else, get a different answer I suppose, but this is a gentleman I know and trust and he is careful not to call his 63 Melz 1578's, just trying to be honest. Knowing what kind of solder they had, I would be amazed if very many were well balanced until that was replaced.
Pretty close on the interconnects, but they are custom parts made by the same companies (Canare & Belden), for Blue Jeans Cables. :wink:

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #2,076 of 10,123
Pretty close on the interconnects, but they are custom parts made by the same companies (Canare & Belden), for Blue Jeans Cables. :wink:
Yeah I know about such things, the 1505 is a Belden number, it should be on those cables, F is stranded center conductor, A is solid copper. The owner of that company is a pretty good guy.

Anyway I am back to listening to some one of a kind RCA 6sn7's, I need to return them soon before Finnegan takes a liking to them and starts batting them around. His face was buried in a pillow last I checked. Finnegan and WS.jpg

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #2,077 of 10,123
Yeah I know about such things, the 1505 is a Belden number, it should be on those cables, F is stranded center conductor, A is solid copper. The owner of that company is a pretty good guy.

Anyway I am back to listening to some one of a kind RCA 6sn7's, I need to return them soon before Finnegan takes a liking to them and starts batting them around. His face was buried in a pillow last I checked.
I figured you know a few things about cables. :wink: Not sure they say 1505 on them as these Blue Jeans interconnects are quite a bit thicker than the 1505 cables I bought from them. I was under the impression they had this cable custom made by Belden specifically for Blue Jeans. It has a thicker insulation, and thinner solid copper core, compared to the 1505. Blue Jeans calls this the LC-1.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #2,078 of 10,123
I figured you know a few things about cables. :wink: Not sure they say 1505 on them as these Blue Jeans interconnects are quite a bit thicker than the 1505 cables I bought from them. I was under the impression they had this cable custom made by Belden specifically for Blue Jeans. It has a thicker insulation, and thinner solid copper core, compared to the 1505. Blue Jeans calls this the LC-1.
That could well be, it has been years since I checked their products. Anyway very nice tubes in the BH Crack.

I need to get @bcowen's thoughts on the 80's Melz tubes compared to the 63 version I sent him, I recall he was not to thrilled with the 80's for the price, and I gifted him the 63 so maybe that helps with his assessment.

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #2,079 of 10,123
That could well be, it has been years since I checked their products. Anyway very nice tubes in the BH Crack.

I need to get @bcowen's thoughts on the 80's Melz tubes compared to the 63 version I sent him, I recall he was not to thrilled with the 80's for the price, and I gifted him the 63 so maybe that helps with his assessment.
That sure is a nice gift! 63' or 80's. . . I think I would take the 63' without even hearing them. Older is always better with tubes, so they say. :wink:

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #2,080 of 10,123
That sure is a nice gift! 63' or 80's. . . I think I would take the 63' without even hearing them. Older is always better with tubes, so they say. :wink:
Oh I just gave him the 63, he did not care for the 80’s versions he bought so I bought them from him.

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #2,081 of 10,123
The ECC35 is equivalent to a 6SL7, a higher gain tube than the 6SN7.
It is compatible with my WA22 but you should check compatibility with your amp.
Thanks, will do. Is the pin-out different from 6SN7 / adapters needed or do you just mean to check comparability re.: electrical characteristics?

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #2,082 of 10,123
I may need to re-write the warranty on your free amp, so that one of us (me) is not constantly having to fix said amp each time you blow it up. Other than say a Psvane driver and Cetron power tube, you should get my written permission before changing any tubes. :ksc75smile:

Then can you email me a permission slip for this, or do I have to wait for a notarized hard copy in the mail? Mo' power is mo' better, right? :)

Big Tube.jpg

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #2,083 of 10,123
Oh I just gave him the 63, he did not care for the 80’s versions he bought so I bought them from him.

Oh I liked the 80's....just didn't like them so much at $100. But the '63 is much better, especially for the money. :)

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #2,084 of 10,123
Oh I liked the 80's....just didn't like them so much at $100. But the '63 is much better, especially for the money. :)

Much, much better? I've had the 80's for only a couple of days and I'm already a big fan of the midrange of those tubes. I haven't compared them to my stock tubes that came with my amp yet, the shuguang we6sn7, but to be honest I don't think it's worth it. The melz are in another league. As soon as they were in. The first song I listened to. I was already a very happy guy. Good news I found a guy willing to sell me his melz 63's. I am receiving the tung sol ladder plates 6f8g's monday or tuesday though, and I'm not sure if I will prefer the sound of those, I can't wait to try them out. If I'm not a fan of the 6f8g sound, there's a high chance that I get a pair of melz from the 60's! What are your thoughts about the 63's compared to the 80's? What's better?

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #2,085 of 10,123
Thanks, will do. Is the pin-out different from 6SN7 / adapters needed or do you just mean to check comparability re.: electrical characteristics?
Its a drop in replacement. Just check with your amp manufacturer that the electrical characteristics are compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back