The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Jul 3, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #2,116 of 10,123
Aside from on eBay, does anyone know where I can get a pair of TS bgrp?

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #2,117 of 10,123
They have been hunted down to nearly extinction, from all the reputable tube dealers not on ebay. Perhaps you might get lucky, if you post a wanted ad in the classifieds. The only one's I have seen lately are on ebay, going for insane amounts.

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,118 of 10,123
They have been hunted down to nearly extinction, from all the reputable tube dealers not on ebay. Perhaps you might get lucky, if you post a wanted ad in the classifieds. The only one's I have seen lately are on ebay, going for insane amounts.

Yea crazy prices on ebay. I emailed vacuumtubes.net but they were out of stock too. Ended up ordering a pair of RCA smoke glass vt231 just to console myself.

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #2,119 of 10,123
Yea crazy prices on ebay. I emailed vacuumtubes.net but they were out of stock too. Ended up ordering a pair of RCA smoke glass vt231 just to console myself.
The RCA have quite a different sound sig, but in the right application (needing lots of warmth), they are the best tube.

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #2,120 of 10,123
The RCA have quite a different sound sig, but in the right application (needing lots of warmth), they are the best tube.

Yeah I read they were a bit warm sounding so wanted to try them out with the Utopia and Abyss. Vacuumtubes.net seems to have the most sane prices out there. Even the RCA vt231 were priced much better on that site than on ebay.

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #2,121 of 10,123

Vintage Tube Services shows a couple in stock. Andy has been in the business since even before my addiction was diagnosed and has a stellar reputation for his knowledge of genuine tubes and very thorough testing. But cheap he's not, and when the price is listed as "call", best be sure your wallet is sitting down before you whip out your phone. :)

http://vintagetubeservices.com/octal-tubes/

1593776874652.png

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #2,122 of 10,123
Vintage Tube Services shows a couple in stock. Andy has been in the business since even before my addiction was diagnosed and has a stellar reputation for his knowledge of genuine tubes and very thorough testing. But cheap he's not, and when the price is listed as "call", best be sure your wallet is sitting down before you whip out your phone. :)

http://vintagetubeservices.com/octal-tubes/

I am not seeing the BGRP? However, his tubes are without a doubt the best I have ever bought. He is super expensive, but the tubes are stunning. He cleans the pins to where they look brand new and test the heck out of the tube. He takes a while to ship, as he does all the stuff mentioned, but if money is no option and you want a true NOS tube, Andy is it.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #2,123 of 10,123
I am not seeing the BGRP? However, his tubes are without a doubt the best I have ever bought. He is super expensive, but the tubes are stunning. He cleans the pins to where they look brand new and test the heck out of the tube. He takes a while to ship, as he does all the stuff mentioned, but if money is no option and you want a true NOS tube, Andy is it.

Very last line in the screen shot. Unless there's a clear glass round plate? I've never seen one, although they could certainly exist...

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #2,124 of 10,123
Jul 3, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #2,125 of 10,123
Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #2,126 of 10,123
Very last line in the screen shot. Unless there's a clear glass round plate? I've never seen one, although they could certainly exist...
I see it now, thanks. From the past, "call" either means they are crazy expensive or out of stock.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #2,127 of 10,123
This sure looks like a BGRP, to me. This is one I just bought on ebay for $150 NOS. :wink:

That certainly is. Nice looking tube! And for $150? Nice score!!

The ones I pictured above are T-plates that the seller has advertised as round plates. Unless he meant that the tubes themselves are round. :) Probably still some nice sounding tubes, but TS round plates they most certainly aren't. :)

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #2,128 of 10,123
LOL...all the tung sol talks...you guys just successfully pushed up the bgrp price (look at the $500/pair just sold). Keep it silent so that I can possibly score one. :beyersmile:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Tung-Sol...lack-round-plates-matching-pair-/224036094872

That aside I have noticed the seller igolioto for long time. His 6SN7 testing values always seem way too high, normally in 3300 - 3500 micromhos range. And he calls his TV-3 tester calibrated - I highly doubt it. Remember a 100% NOS 6SN7 has Gm = 2600 micromhos.

Another seller I've noticed for long time is brhines2012. His 6SN7 testing values with some Mercury tester is suspiciously way too high either, in 3300 - 3500 micromhos range.

Beware and verify their testing values if you buy tubes from them.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #2,129 of 10,123
Yeah I read they were a bit warm sounding so wanted to try them out with the Utopia and Abyss. Vacuumtubes.net seems to have the most sane prices out there. Even the RCA vt231 were priced much better on that site than on ebay.
There's a few of them on bid in the UK. Saw a few go for under $150. Might get lucky checking there

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #2,130 of 10,123
Not a fan of the RCA, and excited to read that they need lots of warmth, have the right pairing in mind for them. Will try that over coffee this morning. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back