The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Mar 21, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #4,083 of 4,183
So I’ve had the 6c5c in my Lampizator for about a week now and I have to say that these are one of the best quads I’ve purchased so far! The low end reproduction is very defined with clarity and impact. What really stands out to me here is the balance held within the mid and treble frequency range. The detail is amazingly clear but I’ve never found the presentation to be clinical- there has been no fatigue whatsoever while listening. The midrange is very fluid and extends just far enough. The overall ambience, air and soundstage stage are natural within the setting of the recording with instruments and voice clearly defined and no sense of congestion.
Thanks again to all who recommended these tubes!
Happy to help! :beerchug:

That clarity without ever sounding harsh is something special and the bass that is huge and grippy yet never gets in the way, coupled with staging that is open and truthful is flat out magic. Some tubes are just better than most, and this is one of them. :grin:

1000004914.jpg

Long live the 6S5S!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #4,084 of 4,183
I do. Or did. Early on in my Twin rolling adventure, I noticed my fav 6J5Gs (at that time) had round (Sylvi/Visseaux) or oval (Brimar/STC) plates (anodes). For lack of a better, more interesting explanation, I made up my own - using the best available physics data I had - from the internet.

While I haven't seen the electrons in my Twins, those keen-eyed physicists that have, state that electrons are round. Spherical even.

Note this scientific fact in the graphic:
Electron-Diagram.jpg

As seen here, electrons are round. Makes sense that tubes with round plates (anodes) would make the freshly generated electrons more comfy due to the curved structure. I like my phones to be comfy. Want my amp to sound comfy. Only fair the electrons in the tubes be comfy as well. :ksc75smile:

Later as my simplistic electron comfort model evolved a cloud descended on the anode of my dreams. Turns out electrons, even the ones in big Twins, are very, very small - so small they behave like a wave and not that choosy about comfort when whizzing from the vast cathode of tube life through the controlling grid at or near the speed of light - dependent on the mood (charge) of the grid.

Many of the flat plate (anode) GEC Twins sound just as wonderful to me - some more so. I've had to re-bias my round plate bias to just enjoy the magic Twins of any anodic geometry.

In my roundabout philosophy of tube lore, seems we might be more concerned about the shape of the grid - if we were concerned about the comfort of electrons. Which we're not. We're just boiling them off the cathode for our selfish personal audio pursuits. 🤣
ROTFLMAO!!!🤣

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #4,085 of 4,183
Hope you're not referring to the guy who sent me some stuff that fried my Lampizator and took out some adjacent NOS along w/ it...
I think it may very well be!

Mar 21, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #4,086 of 4,183
Hope you're not referring to the guy who sent me some stuff that fried my Lampizator and took out some adjacent NOS along w/ it...
Dunno, are there many Italians selling overpriced tubes on eBay? I always assumed they were all the same dealer but I never looked into it.

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #4,087 of 4,183
Hello everyone, I've been out of this hobby for a awhile but lately have been circling back and found this thread. I have a custom La Figaro 339 that uses 6AS7 and L63/6C5/6J5.

IMG_5104.jpg

In addition to the L63/6C5/6J5 I have an adapter for EF86 (EF806S, E80F) which was created by the amp maker:

IMG_5105.jpg

However, I can't find anyone else using 6J5 to EF86 adapter, nor can I find any for sale on ebay. Does anyone else have experience using EF86 tubes in 6J5 amps?

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #4,089 of 4,183
Hello everyone, I've been out of this hobby for a awhile but lately have been circling back and found this thread. I have a custom La Figaro 339 that uses 6AS7 and L63/6C5/6J5.

IMG_5104.jpg

In addition to the L63/6C5/6J5 I have an adapter for EF86 (EF806S, E80F) which was created by the amp maker:

IMG_5105.jpg

However, I can't find anyone else using 6J5 to EF86 adapter, nor can I find any for sale on ebay. Does anyone else have experience using EF86 tubes in 6J5 amps?

No experience with them, but I did see that 1101audio lists them as possible 6j5 adapters: https://1101audio.com/Tube-Socket-Adapters.html#content5-2c

How do you think they sound compared to 6J5?

Mar 22, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #4,091 of 4,183
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #4,092 of 4,183
No experience with them, but I did see that 1101audio lists them as possible 6j5 adapters: https://1101audio.com/Tube-Socket-Adapters.html#content5-2c

How do you think they sound compared to 6J5?

Haven't heard the EF86 myself, but has pretty nice triode curves when strapped as pseudo-triode:

EF86_Triode.jpg

Note that the electrical properties of EF86 are different than 6J5's - Only 1W max dissipation (vs the 2.5W of the 6J5), higher amplification factor, different transconductance and bias point, etc.

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #4,094 of 4,183
A 6sn7 can drive 300b really well with a mosfet follower. That’s how Tomas designed his Telemachas amp, pity that almost no one was able to hear it. But to Glenn’s point, manufacturers have to give people what they want. Many audiophiles would pass out in a dead faint at the idea of polluting their amps with solid state devices. But sometimes the best tube for the job is a chip. Or of you want to get crazy you can use an interstage transformer like some of the crazy Japanese makers did. I think that both the solid state and transformer approaches would make it impossible to roll different tube types though.
As one of the lucky “almost no ones” I can attest the Telemachus is a gem. I’ve also replaced the 6SN7 with 6C5/6J5 adapters and never looked back

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #4,095 of 4,183
As one of the lucky “almost no ones” I can attest the Telemachus is a gem. I’ve also replaced the 6SN7 with 6C5/6J5 adapters and never looked back
You are lucky! I too feel lucky in that mine was one of the last amps Tomas was able to deliver. Sigh. I'm glad 3 people at least were able to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back