The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #4,067 of 4,191
Glenn was a well known amp builder on here. He built my 300B amp. These are his thoughts on C3G vs 6SN7 as drivers for the 300B. Please also be aware I've heard 300B amps being driven by 6SN7 and they sound amazing! So, even though you might not agree with Glenn, some of this might be interesting:

"Every thing is a compromise these company's are in business to make money not have the best sounding amplifier.
It just has to sound good enough so you will buy it.
The 6SN7 is not a proper driver for a 300B The Woo only uses 1/2 of the 6SN7 to do the driving so this is essentially the
same as the one 6SN7 in the BA. After 10 or more years of dealing with the 300B trying the 6SN7 then going to the
6DN7 that is really 1/2 a 6SN7 and 1/2 a 6BL7 and also trying the 6BM8/ECL82. I found that #1) the 6SN7 cannot drive
the 300B properly #2) even though the 6DN7 and 6BM8 can drive the 300B neither of these tubes sound that great in the first place.

So I went to the #10/210 this sounded fantastic but I had to go through the DC on the filament thing to use this tube.
Especially as the driver It had to run it on DC. The #10 can drive the 300B with 1.5 watts. Recently I have experimented
with the C3g and this tube can also drive the 300B with 1.5 watts of drive and not have to run the filament on DC.
And these tubes sound almost as good as the #10 and have more gain
I have sold a couple of amps that use this tube as the driver for a 300B to Clayton you can ask him about the SQ
These company's have to give the people what they want and everyone wants a 6SN7 so they can tube roll.

I didn't understand why some company's used large Input capacitors after a 5U4 causing some of them
to blow up. Now I know. People want to here what they call a black background no hum or noise with the volume
turned all the way up and no input. What does this matter? This causes the rectifier to produce switching noise that
you can't here but it makes the amp sound harsh. "

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #4,068 of 4,191
I'm 'burning in' a pair of heavy black metal 6J5 branded Brimar, Made in USA. The one for the left channel is stamped '6J5-L' vertically on the the side and the one for the right channel is stamped '6J5-R' in the same way. They knew their stuff. :wink:
I don't remember what this means. One of the boxes is branded Radiotron Westinghouse and has a logo with the text Canadian Westinghouse. Rebranded x2?
(The other box is branded Philips and is probably not original).

I will receive these next week. I hope for a L + R so they are useable.
1710804585343.jpeg

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #4,069 of 4,191
Glenn was a well known amp builder on here. He built my 300B amp. These are his thoughts on C3G vs 6SN7 as drivers for the 300B. Please also be aware I've heard 300B amps being driven by 6SN7 and they sound amazing! So, even though you might not agree with Glenn, some of this might be interesting:

"Every thing is a compromise these company's are in business to make money not have the best sounding amplifier.
It just has to sound good enough so you will buy it.
The 6SN7 is not a proper driver for a 300B The Woo only uses 1/2 of the 6SN7 to do the driving so this is essentially the
same as the one 6SN7 in the BA. After 10 or more years of dealing with the 300B trying the 6SN7 then going to the
6DN7 that is really 1/2 a 6SN7 and 1/2 a 6BL7 and also trying the 6BM8/ECL82. I found that #1) the 6SN7 cannot drive
the 300B properly #2) even though the 6DN7 and 6BM8 can drive the 300B neither of these tubes sound that great in the first place.

So I went to the #10/210 this sounded fantastic but I had to go through the DC on the filament thing to use this tube.
Especially as the driver It had to run it on DC. The #10 can drive the 300B with 1.5 watts. Recently I have experimented
with the C3g and this tube can also drive the 300B with 1.5 watts of drive and not have to run the filament on DC.
And these tubes sound almost as good as the #10 and have more gain
I have sold a couple of amps that use this tube as the driver for a 300B to Clayton you can ask him about the SQ
These company's have to give the people what they want and everyone wants a 6SN7 so they can tube roll.

I didn't understand why some company's used large Input capacitors after a 5U4 causing some of them
to blow up. Now I know. People want to here what they call a black background no hum or noise with the volume
turned all the way up and no input. What does this matter? This causes the rectifier to produce switching noise that
you can't here but it makes the amp sound harsh. "
A 6sn7 can drive 300b really well with a mosfet follower. That’s how Tomas designed his Telemachas amp, pity that almost no one was able to hear it. But to Glenn’s point, manufacturers have to give people what they want. Many audiophiles would pass out in a dead faint at the idea of polluting their amps with solid state devices. But sometimes the best tube for the job is a chip. Or of you want to get crazy you can use an interstage transformer like some of the crazy Japanese makers did. I think that both the solid state and transformer approaches would make it impossible to roll different tube types though.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #4,071 of 4,191
A 6sn7 can drive 300b really well with a mosfet follower. That’s how Tomas designed his Telemachas amp, pity that almost no one was able to hear it. But to Glenn’s point, manufacturers have to give people what they want. Many audiophiles would pass out in a dead faint at the idea of polluting their amps with solid state devices. But sometimes the best tube for the job is a chip. Or of you want to get crazy you can use an interstage transformer like some of the crazy Japanese makers did. I think that both the solid state and transformer approaches would make it impossible to roll different tube types though.
Cary Audio did this as well in their 805 amps.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #4,073 of 4,191
While I continue trolling the depths for the elusive Tung Sol VT-94 I was told “You’ve gotta get!” I came across a quad of these- and they were dirt cheap. They’re marked Sylvania VT-94-D with some kind of marking on the side of the base that seems to be old yellow ink. The first character is illegible but they have the number “72” next to it. I won’t be dropping these in immediately as I’m still breaking in the recent quad of 6C5C’s.

IMG_0824.jpeg

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #4,075 of 4,191
Or of you want to get crazy you can use an interstage transformer like some of the crazy Japanese makers did.

Eric of McChanson amps built my previous 300b amp using interstage transformers. The amp is heavy with so many irons.

IMG_6709.jpg

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #4,076 of 4,191
That is not true. There are 3 owners with Telemachus.
I consider 3 to be hardly any. Should have been a nice long run:frowning2:

I’ve lost track, you have a 300b amp now right? What does it use for drivers?

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #4,077 of 4,191
I consider 3 to be hardly any. Should have been a nice long run:frowning2:

I’ve lost track, you have a 300b amp now right? What does it use for drivers?

Telemachus is a custom 300b amp and at AUD$10,000 fully optioned, it will always be a limited run. I was supposed to get mine.

The McChanson 300b that I had (in the picture above) use 6EM7 or 6FD7 with adapters as drivers. That's a dissimilar triode. The stronger MU section of the triode is 1/3 the power of a 2a3. Eric is fond of using 6EM7 as drivers in his KT170 and 300b speaker amps.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #4,079 of 4,191
So tonight I have the Lampizator sporting the new 6C5C’s and I think these are definitely winners! They are going to need a little more break in time but I’m quickly becoming comfortable with the presentation. This is only day one and they have been running about 10hrs now so I’m sure it will only get better! More to come…

IMG_0822.jpeg
So I’ve had the 6c5c in my Lampizator for about a week now and I have to say that these are one of the best quads I’ve purchased so far! The low end reproduction is very defined with clarity and impact. What really stands out to me here is the balance held within the mid and treble frequency range. The detail is amazingly clear but I’ve never found the presentation to be clinical- there has been no fatigue whatsoever while listening. The midrange is very fluid and extends just far enough. The overall ambience, air and soundstage stage are natural within the setting of the recording with instruments and voice clearly defined and no sense of congestion.
Thanks again to all who recommended these tubes!

Mar 21, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #4,080 of 4,191
Does anyone have a preference between round anodes and flat ribbed anodes?

The round anodes are the same family tree as the 37, 56 and 76 that preceded the 6J5.

37 RCA.jpeg56 NU.jpeg76 Kadette.jpeg

I do. Or did. Early on in my Twin rolling adventure, I noticed my fav 6J5Gs (at that time) had round (Sylvi/Visseaux) or oval (Brimar/STC) plates (anodes). For lack of a better, more interesting explanation, I made up my own - using the best available physics data I had - from the internet.

While I haven't seen the electrons in my Twins, those keen-eyed physicists that have, state that electrons are round. Spherical even.

Note this scientific fact in the graphic:
Electron-Diagram.jpg

As seen here, electrons are round. Makes sense that tubes with round plates (anodes) would make the freshly generated electrons more comfy due to the curved structure. I like my phones to be comfy. Want my amp to sound comfy. Only fair the electrons in the tubes be comfy as well. :ksc75smile:

Later as my simplistic electron comfort model evolved a cloud descended on the anode of my dreams. Turns out electrons, even the ones in big Twins, are very, very small - so small they behave like a wave and not that choosy about comfort when whizzing from the vast cathode of tube life through the controlling grid at or near the speed of light - dependent on the mood (charge) of the grid.

Many of the flat plate (anode) GEC Twins sound just as wonderful to me - some more so. I've had to re-bias my round plate bias to just enjoy the magic Twins of any anodic geometry.

In my roundabout philosophy of tube lore, seems we might be more concerned about the shape of the grid - if we were concerned about the comfort of electrons. Which we're not. We're just boiling them off the cathode for our selfish personal audio pursuits. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back