The Qudelix-5K thread
Jan 31, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #2,911 of 4,821
Hey guys, anyone considered a DIY Qudelix 5K project to include a bigger battery? I am currently trying to 3D print a new enclosure in order to place a bigger battery (2600mah). Found a 20cm usb-c extension cable, but probably too big. Any ideas are welcome.

1643666765221.png

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #2,914 of 4,821
Just got mine a bit less than a week after ordering. Can't express how great this little $100 box the size of a 9v battery sounds!
completely agree, which is why I want a second one!

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #2,915 of 4,821
Quick follow-up question: is there a way to ensure it defaults to a given EQ preset (and other DSP settings I guess) every time it's turned on? And likewise is there a way to save those settings when it's then connected to another device? I mostly listen to music from my iPhone but I'd like to be able to connect it to my Mac and have those EQ settings transfer over (as there's no OS X app to change settings for it). Or is what I'm asking for already its default behavior?

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #2,916 of 4,821
Hey guys, anyone considered a DIY Qudelix 5K project to include a bigger battery? I am currently trying to 3D print a new enclosure in order to place a bigger battery (2600mah). Found a 20cm usb-c extension cable, but probably too big. Any ideas are welcome.

1643666765221.png
The idea is sensational! Keep us up to date on DIY please

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #2,917 of 4,821
Hey,

I'm using the 5K with my IEMs as a bluetooth amp and I'm really happy with it.

In 2022 I want to dive into the headphone world and the first thing that came to my mind was if the 5K is "strong" enough as a standalone USB DAC or if I should invest in a bigger, non-mobile amp?

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #2,919 of 4,821
Anyone that has experience with both products - completely ignoring price to value ratio and functionalities, how does the Qudelix 5K compare to the Chord Mojo in terms of sound quality?
I have both. They're different in terms of SQ, almost like apples to oranges. If you can afford it and if absolute best SQ if what you're after, go for the Mojo. Otherwise, the 5K is still super good.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #2,920 of 4,821
Any reason not to look at xDSD Gryphon, if you want:
- step up in SQ from Qudelix
- more powerful
- just slightly bigger
- still supporting BT
- not crazy overpriced as everything from Chord which is more like a famous fashion brand, when they charge for name mostly, not the product itself.

xDuoo XD05 BAL is another similar, even cheaper than Gryphon option.

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #2,921 of 4,821
Using it with HD800 balanced and can not find good settings.
Does someone using same setup and have some advice?
Used oratory1990 and crinacle settings from qudelix app and also tried to manually add these settings from oratory1990 website, but i am not happy with the hd800 sound...

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #2,922 of 4,821
Any reason not to look at xDSD Gryphon, if you want:
- step up in SQ from Qudelix
- more powerful
- just slightly bigger
- still supporting BT
- not crazy overpriced as everything from Chord which is more like a famous fashion brand, when they charge for name mostly, not the product itself.

xDuoo XD05 BAL is another similar, even cheaper than Gryphon option.
I have an ifi xcan (predecessor to the gryphon) and a 5k, and I think the big question is, do the headphones you have need EQ to get the sound you want for the music you like? If no, the ifi devices are larger, more powerful, and undoubtedly “better” (though I think the 5k is a bit better for noise reduction with Bluetooth audio then my xcan at least). They are more expensive though, at 300 for the xcan and 600 for the gryphon (give or take).

On the other hand, if you do need EQ the 5k is the better choice due to the 10 band PEQ that can be applied to any source. In my mind you will notice EQ settings a lot more than relative DAC/amp quality for most music. So I think that’s really the deciding factor, and if you don’t need EQ or exclusively use an app with it built in, then there are better choices than the 5k. That said I love mine and I don’t think anything else really compares at it’s price point.

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #2,923 of 4,821
I have an ifi xcan (predecessor to the gryphon) and a 5k, and I think the big question is, do the headphones you have need EQ to get the sound you want for the music you like? If no, the ifi devices are larger, more powerful, and undoubtedly “better” (though I think the 5k is a bit better for noise reduction with Bluetooth audio then my xcan at least). They are more expensive though, at 300 for the xcan and 600 for the gryphon (give or take).

On the other hand, if you do need EQ the 5k is the better choice due to the 10 band PEQ that can be applied to any source. In my mind you will notice EQ settings a lot more than relative DAC/amp quality for most music. So I think that’s really the deciding factor, and if you don’t need EQ or exclusively use an app with it built in, then there are better choices than the 5k. That said I love mine and I don’t think anything else really compares at it’s price point.

Slightly off topic, but I find it surprising/frustrating that you can't find a DAP with system-wide PEQ. It seems like such a fundamental feature for a music player but yet no one offers it as far as I know. Yes, there are some apps, but nothing system-wide. I want to be able to enjoy high-resolution, MQA, etc and have PEQ at the same time.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #2,924 of 4,821
Slightly off topic, but I find it surprising/frustrating that you can't find a DAP with system-wide PEQ. It seems like such a fundamental feature for a music player but yet no one offers it as far as I know. Yes, there are some apps, but nothing system-wide. I want to be able to enjoy high-resolution, MQA, etc and have PEQ at the same time.
I haven't looked into but I'll take your word for it. I guess this is the cost of using el-cheapo Android for most music players rather than a custom OS. I avoided Android-based DAPs so far but if I have to start flying again I'll have to upgrade and I'm sure there is already no choice.

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #2,925 of 4,821
I agree - phone and DAP system wide PEQ would be great.

Coming close, while not PEQ, the MSEB is system-wide on HiBy DAPs (though i think it does not touch bit perfect stream).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back