The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
Nov 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #436 of 458
Quote:
I own the Ultrasone DJ1. The mids aren't recessed at all. The M50s have more of a dip in the mid section than the HFI-580 does. AT has addressed the mid section on the M50 on their earphones the CKM500 which has a lush deep mid section. AT has changed the way they do sound tuning and is use a much more balanced sound signature on their newer headphones and earphones. The WS55, CKS77, CKM500.

As for the HA-S500. Yes. They are shockingly great. Carbon nantube drivers are no joke. You guys can read the thread here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes#post_8581957  There are some guys that Achmedisdead who bought and loved the WS55 is now loving his new HA-S500..The thread is filled with overwhelming praise on the new headphones..

Hi,

I've been reading relentlessly on this site (and others) and have finally pulled the trigger on a pair of headphones (take 2).  I'm just sharing my thought process in case someone else is hesitating and has similar needs, and maybe someone will respond to my assumptions...!

I mostly listen to electronic music on my iphone but will also listen to rock on occasion. I had initially purchased the Sony XB700 and spent a whole 7 hours straight listening to them, I was in love (newbie that never had any type of decent headphone/earphone on his head before) I felt the sound was very appropriate for my listening habbits as I like bass but also enjoy hearing every sound clearly.

Unfortunately I had to return them as I want to be able to use the headphones on long bus rides and the XB700 had open slots on the cups which leaked sound way too much for me to still consider myself a respectful person when using them on the bus...

Now I had to find a replacement and was debating between:
Pioneer HDJ-500 (auditioned)
ATH-M50 (auditioned)
ATH-WS55
M-Audio-Q40 (i think that's the name) - but that didn't last as I was too afraid of sound leakage and couldn't audition them
JVC HA-S500 - (Weren't part of short list untill the very end)

As I read on and on, and also testing the HDJ-500 and M50's, this is what I thought:

HDJ 500 - Nice sound, big bass, on-ear but not uncomfortable, limited sound leakage
ATH-M50 - Crisper sound, especially noticeable in snare-ish sounds from an EDM song I listened, felt like I could hear the drum snap more than on the HDJ. The sub-bass was more pleasing on the M50 but the rest of it was lacking (in my bassy preference) compared to the HDJ. Highs were maybe a bit to clear I thought, but then I went back to the HDJ and thought they sounded a bit muffled on these HDJ's now that I had listened to the M50. Comfy enough for me, but I do prefer around ear (M50) to on-ear (HDJ500). Just a bit more sound leakage than HDJ. Minor annoying detail, the M50 plug did not fit with my iphone case, the HDJ-500 plug did (wasen't the Iphone version either).

At this point I thought I wanted something in between the 2  :S - (great...!!) Not many places offer to try headphones... I also tried the sony V55 (or something) but I prefered the HDJ500 (also cheaper)

As for prices well I could've got the HDJ for 90$ and the M50 for 120-130, so a bit of a difference here.

Then I read about the ATH-WS55 (90-100$) and thought these were my best choice. But couldn't audition them... So i hesitated for a while, and at the last minute I went for the JVC HA-S500 (70$ shipped + possible hanlding at customs and tx.).

What I expect to get out of the JVC HA-S500:

A bit less bass quantity (unfortunately) compared to ATH-WS55 and more so HDJ-500, yet still good presence and definition.
Sub-bass a bit closer to M-50 than HDJ in definition as lesser presence of the mid bass than with HDJ. Maybe comparable to WS55 (but I haven't heard those)
Good sound isolation, and low sound leakage.
Overall bassy headphone, that still presents all sound frequencies with a bit less emphasis on highs than M50, but not as muffled as HDJ (which aren't that bad).

Here's hoping I don't get something too clear sounding and thin in the lower ends! Rather something between the M50 and the HDJ-500 soundwise. I'm just a bit worried that I should've just went with the ATH-WS55...

Again thank you for all your input, special thanks to Dsnuts! 

Max

I

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #438 of 458
Good to hear! I'll come back with my noob impressions once the HP arrives in the mail. Although my appreciation for them will be tainted by my excitement to finally have my HP! Plus a side by side comparison to M-50 or WS55 won't be possible...

I'll just edit this post to minimise the number of posts (don't want to be trolling!!)

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #440 of 458
The HDJ is a bit bulkier on the head. They are on ear and kinda thick so they stick out more. Cals are nice average sounding cans. The HDJ500 are more fun sounding in every way. For example these headphones are what what people should be using for EDM especially Trance. The Cals not so much. Cals are good for acoustic vocals rock ect. The cals are much more comfy but don't have the fun sound that is on the HDJ500. The bass end don't even come close. 

A can that is an upgrade to all the cans mentioned on this thread is the new JVC HA-S500. I recommend trying one out.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #442 of 458
A more detailed sound over the WS55. Seriously a nice upgrade. Very good quality bass end too. The HA-S500 has the ability to change sound tuning with a change of pads. There is like 5 different pad mods on the thread. You can ask this same question on the HA-S500 thread as there are a few guys that used to own the WS55 on that thread. They will tell you. Archmedisdead will tell you. He used the HA-S500 the most out of anything he owns. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes#post_8581957

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #443 of 458
A more detailed sound over the WS55. Seriously a nice upgrade. Very good quality bass end too. The HA-S500 has the ability to change sound tuning with a change of pads. There is like 5 different pad mods on the thread. You can ask this same question on the HA-S500 thread as there are a few guys that used to own the WS55 on that thread. They will tell you. Archmedisdead will tell you. He used the HA-S500 the most out of anything he owns. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes#post_8581957

Looks like I need to drop another 60$ jeez lol

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #445 of 458
The HDJs and the WS55 stage wise is a wash. The HDJ500 seems like it has the wider stage as it is clearly more V shaped in sound balance over the WS55. I would say staging is very similar.  Ample for the sound tuning..The HDJ500 does have more impact over the WS55 but not by big margin. The balance in sound is better on the WS55. The WS55 has the better imagery.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #446 of 458
what should i get for rock/rap/pop the pioneer hdj 500 or the AT WS55 or something third?  i already have k81dj and denon hp500 how do they compare to them,is the bass better than on the denons? i especially like how the denons sound so i would pick the cans which are similiar/better to them ,the dj81 sound kinda shallow to me :/
thanks for your help!

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #447 of 458
The WS55 is best for your music. The HDJ500 is more for EDM genres.. Another one to look into it the new WS77 that just came out for not much more if you buy it from Amazon Japan using Tenso forwarding service.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #448 of 458
unfortunately i don't have that option, i'm just checking if  the models you recommended can be found in the local shops. i can get the ws55 for 70e ,they don't have the ws77 only the ws50 (70e) and ws70 (130e), but even if they get the ws77 they'll probably copy-paste the price of the ws70 like they did with ws50->ws55. maybe i can order the ws77 via that shop but are they worth the 130e? i'm in need for some portable laptop phones nothing too fancy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back