The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
Aug 26, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #421 of 458
Hey Dsnuts, how would you compare the sound of the Pioneers to the Crossfade LP2?

I haven't tested them, but I liked how you compared the sound of the Pioneers to the "club sound". I'm looking for a portable alternative to my Ultrasone Pro 900 (good bass, while still hearing details, etc). I'm excluding the Pioneer and Audio Technica because they're on-ear and since I use glasses, I found it too uncomfortable after a few minutes.

I know the M-100 is about the be released, so I'm also considering it, but I'm not sure if they will have the fun signature I'm looking for.

Thanks

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #422 of 458
They do sound like a club in your head but they will be uncomfy for eye glass wearers..I have never heard the LP2s but I would wait a bit for the M-100 impressions to roll in. I am waiting for impressions myself.

Currently for portables nothing beats the new JVC HA-S500..Carbon nanotube 40mm drivers. Unreal sound for $50 from Japan.  These are on ear too but I bought Sennheiser HD25 velours to put on them and they fit perfect so comfort is not an issue.. I have them on my head as I type actually..

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #423 of 458
Quote:
Here you go.  http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-80-ohms/product-reviews/B0016MNAAI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Also look into a HFI-580.. DJ-1 ultrasone cans. I believe Amazon has the HFI-580s for $120 which is a great deal for one.

I have heard the Ultrasone's have pretty recessed mids, and what I love about the AT's is that the mids are just gorgeous. Do you agree?

Oh and about those new JVC's, are they really that good??

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #424 of 458
I own the Ultrasone DJ1. The mids aren't recessed at all. The M50s have more of a dip in the mid section than the HFI-580 does. AT has addressed the mid section on the M50 on their earphones the CKM500 which has a lush deep mid section. AT has changed the way they do sound tuning and is use a much more balanced sound signature on their newer headphones and earphones. The WS55, CKS77, CKM500.

As for the HA-S500. Yes. They are shockingly great. Carbon nantube drivers are no joke. You guys can read the thread here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes#post_8581957  There are some guys that Achmedisdead who bought and loved the WS55 is now loving his new HA-S500..The thread is filled with overwhelming praise on the new headphones..

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #425 of 458
I recently have the WS55 with me along with my 8-month old SJ55 (maybe the closest comparison), thanks to the OP for introducing the headphone to the public, and i must say the WS55 is a better buy overall (again, thanks to Dsnuts).

In comparison with the SJ55, WS55 seems to be more forgiving with low-bitrate files, cymbals sound cleaner, more consistent in reading bass guitar lines/notes, if you know what i mean, maybe its the bass depth, and it will be more durable than the SJ55 imho, especially the aluminum headband vs. SJ's plastic one.

SJ on the other hand has more thump/kick on the bass, more female-vox oriented (maybe it's just me, it has an unusual spike at upper mids that can be painful at times), more comfortable by means of less pain on clamping, more ideal earpads, and more portable/foldable.

I certainly feel overall that SJ55 is good for trance/hiphop and the like, WS55 the rest of the way. I'm an apprentice bassist, formerly at lead guitars, so with Rock/Metal being my genre, WS55 sounds more appealing to me, but then again, we have different ears. Sorry for my bad english, i just want to help.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #427 of 458
Quote:
I recently have the WS55 with me along with my 8-month old SJ55 (maybe the closest comparison), thanks to the OP for introducing the headphone to the public, and i must say the WS55 is a better buy overall (again, thanks to Dsnuts).

In comparison with the SJ55, WS55 seems to be more forgiving with low-bitrate files, cymbals sound cleaner, more consistent in reading bass guitar lines/notes, if you know what i mean, maybe its the bass depth, and it will be more durable than the SJ55 imho, especially the aluminum headband vs. SJ's plastic one.

SJ on the other hand has more thump/kick on the bass, more female-vox oriented (maybe it's just me, it has an unusual spike at upper mids that can be painful at times), more comfortable by means of less pain on clamping, more ideal earpads, and more portable/foldable.

I certainly feel overall that SJ55 is good for trance/hiphop and the like, WS55 the rest of the way. I'm an apprentice bassist, formerly at lead guitars, so with Rock/Metal being my genre, WS55 sounds more appealing to me, but then again, we have different ears. Sorry for my bad english, i just want to help.

Nice to hear your views, I used to love the SJ55 but then I got the WS55 and I can't even listen to the SJ's anymore, the WS's are so good. They have such a gorgeous clarity and there is no bass bleed whatsoever. Whereas the SJ's are kind of muddy and slightly veiled.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #430 of 458
I still like my HDJ500. I'm listening to it right now. Love the bass on this thing.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #432 of 458
No one does club in ya head like Pioneer does. You gotta try them at that price. Though I would make sure the headphones are in good condition. Some guys are rough on their phones if you know what I mean..If it is in sub par condition I would pass..

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #434 of 458
you can also get the ws55 for $60 used.  pretty sure there is someone selling one in these very forums
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #435 of 458
Still loving the WS55 so much. I'm yet to find another can that I enjoy listening to as much as these things. The Ultrasone HFI-580 comes close but the brightness and recessed mids still put the AT's on top. The search continues for a full-size set of headphones that sounds as good as these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back