The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
Mar 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #272 of 458

Quote:
And do the sennheiser ear pads fit on the WS55...? and what is the difference between the normal and the velour pads from the hd 25....?

HD25s pads will fit on the WS55s both have the same 70mm diameter. Unfortunately, the opening in the HD25s are smaller, so they might muffle the sound a bit.

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #275 of 458
If you guys find the comfort a bit tight on the headphones. Stretch them over some books for over a night and they should loosen up.. They will become snug but not uncomfortable in any way with just use. But you can speed up the issue with stretching. They do become much more comfortable.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #276 of 458

Quote:
If you guys find the comfort a bit tight on the headphones. Stretch them over some books for over a night and they should loosen up.. They will become snug but not uncomfortable in any way with just use. But you can speed up the issue with stretching. They do become much more comfortable.

This exactly.Just stretch them out over books and they become a lot more comfortable.Speaking of ear pads...I might actually try the HD25 pads out. But really just stretch it and it becomes way better.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #277 of 458
My preliminary reactions to the WS55,

Decent thump for little guys, nothing my DT770 cant trump totally and completely though.  They sound good for portable headphones, clarity is mostly in tact.  It had this low mid end sound, and is way better than the MDR-v6, there is actual separation here.

The brainwavz M3 disappear from my ears if you ignore the feeling or t he fear of it popping out, where these will never be able to give me that music out of thin air feeling.  Still a compromise for the fun sound of these phones.

Way better than the fanny wangs I owned before, those had a giant veil.  Absolutely no clarity, bass was just boomy.  Apparently they were supposed to be even better then beats by dr dre.  If I found the wangs to be bad I can't imagine beats then.

In terms of style, for full sized headphones they are surprisingly compact and sexy.  They don't make a round head look round like many other headphone headbands so its shape is really good.  The mix of Red, Black and Chrome makes it seem like a luxury item in terms of what the uninitiated would think.  The Red on the cups is not a deep red, perhaps a little pink from certain angles or lighting but I love the overall design.  It looks fancy, colorful and classy without being retro.

That is all I could gather from one day of usage.  Can't comment on isolation yet as I havent taken it on the train nor could I explain the sound without listening to it more.  Just know it was not repulsive as many other low end headphones usually are.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #278 of 458
Thanks for your impressions there ninjikiran, I would bet these will grow on you with more use as they have for me. Try them out on a small amp or just use a bit of eq for the big bass. It will surprise you. Let us know how they are treating you with some more use/ burn time. They get better.

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #279 of 458

Quote:

Quote:
This exactly.Just stretch them out over books and they become a lot more comfortable.Speaking of ear pads...I might actually try the HD25 pads out. But really just stretch it and it becomes way better.

i have stretched them a little but there the pads are still quite hard and isolation isn't great. let us know if end up trying the pads

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #280 of 458
Since everyone here is going crazy over pads I decided to put my J$ Lambskin Pads over the pads that come with the headphones.

Isolation increase is night and day, Comfort level is +100%.  No real SQ change.

But did I mention it looks silly, and makes them look like full sized headphones for better or for worst.  This is without them glued or otherwise attached to the headphone.  Clamping force holds them on perfectly.

Maybe i'll take pictures later, though I dont plan on using them since I prefer the compact size of the phones.

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #281 of 458

Quote:

This did help me with mine.
beyersmile.png

Quote:
Thanks for your impressions there ninjikiran, I would bet these will grow on you with more use as they have for me. Try them out on a small amp or just use a bit of eq for the big bass. It will surprise you. Let us know how they are treating you with some more use/ burn time. They get better.

Just today played with EQ for the first time....the 10-band one in PowerAmp, and all I can say is ,"hell yeah!"
basshead.gif
L3000.gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #282 of 458
Hi, I've been reading this thread, but don't knew whether anyone's answered this about the ws55i's controls. Do the ws55i controls catch on things and produce cable noise? I had a pair of IEMs with ipod controls and they were terrible. (It didn't help that the cable wasn't great...)

Also, how close are the controls to the neck? In winter, I tuck the cord beneath my scarf and am worried they'll be out of the way.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #283 of 458
Anyone that has experience with the ATH-WS55s could tell me how they fare with anything less bass-oriented? (Jazz/rock)

Thinking of jumping ship from my old AKG K518DJs to ATH-WS55 (or WS55i), but I still want them to be overall performant. :)

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #284 of 458
Tbh my IEM's sound better, and the WS55's don't fare well on the train.  Their comfort level is atrocious without the huge pads.

Only redeeming quality for me thus far is how sexy they look, but the isolation is a huge bomb on the train making them sound muddier than what they really are.  Therefore they will more than likely be sold.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #285 of 458

Quote:
Anyone that has experience with the ATH-WS55s could tell me how they fare with anything less bass-oriented? (Jazz/rock)

Thinking of jumping ship from my old AKG K518DJs to ATH-WS55 (or WS55i), but I still want them to be overall performant. :)

If I listen to them without any EQ, I find them to be very accurate, with rock, pop, singer-songrwriter, etc.. If there is bass in the song, they will produce it, but they do not overemphasize it,. and it does not in any way creep up on the mids or highs. If I put on some trance music though, there's abundant bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back