The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
Mar 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #211 of 458

Quote:

did you have sibilants issues at first with WS55? It seems like the "S" sounds are really harsh on your ears and distorts the song. The EQ on the ipod is on setting "flat" it's a lot more harsh than my 15 dollar earphone and M50 headphone

To be completely honest I have no idea what your talking about. The last thing I want is throw up a nice 8.5 score for all the guys that get them to have sibilance. I have none. What is your source? You listening to high quality rips? I don't know how you can have sibilance on these. They are fully burned in?

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #212 of 458

Quote:
To be completely honest I have no idea what your talking about. The last thing I want is throw up a nice 8.5 score for all the guys that get them to have sibilance. I have none. What is your source? You listening to high quality rips? I don't know how you can have sibilance on these. They are fully burned in?

I am listening on my Ipod, i purchased songs through itunes (around 257-290 kbps), should i just return them to audio technica and get them fixed? Maybe my headphone is a defect =/ I just got them last night lol and i haven't been using it for long maybe 30 mins tops

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #213 of 458
I don't know I am listening to female vocals right now. I have no sibilance with flat eq. I even up the treble end on mine with the bass. A bit more fun sound signature. I have no sibilance at all. Did you do at least a 50 hour burn in? If not I suggest you do..Burn in can only help the rough edges. To my ears these have the perfect amount of sparkle in the highs but there is no grating sibilance for me at all.

I own many an Audio Techinica earphones and all of them have defined highs but sibilance is generally not an issue for me. These WS55s have a bit warmer sound signature and is easy to listen to music for hours without ear fatigue. Bright sounding earphones I own the SSs are much more prominent. The isurus for one and the CKM77 but the CKM77 is more refined but is clean instead of sibilant. I would burn them and see what happens. There is no sibilance on my end at all. Maybe someone else can chime in as well. I doubt everyone is hearing harsh highs. I certainly aint.

I would throw them on a source and let them play overnight and see what happens in the morning. If not you can always return them.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #216 of 458

Quote:
How you enjoying your WS55s. Not bad eigh?

Everything I was hoping for.....decent bass that doesn't drown out everything else.
L3000.gif

I haven't even tinkered yet with EQ or amping.....maybe tomorrow on my day off I will, but I certainly enjoy them as is.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #217 of 458
Nice to hear. Damn I am listening to them on my Sony S545. Man these things rock. Lol! I've been so busy with my earphones threads I haven't heard these in a while. This is just my opinion guys but I think these are a better value than the $200 M-80. While those are certainly nice the bass is a neutral bass and it is ample but man when you want your bass to hit those kinda flounder plus these are half the price of those. Thats just me. I find myself grabbing for these instead my more balanced M-80.LoL!

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #218 of 458

Quote:
I don't know I am listening to female vocals right now. I have no sibilance with flat eq. I even up the treble end on mine with the bass. A bit more fun sound signature. I have no sibilance at all. Did you do at least a 50 hour burn in? If not I suggest you do..Burn in can only help the rough edges. To my ears these have the perfect amount of sparkle in the highs but there is no grating sibilance for me at all.

I own many an Audio Techinica earphones and all of them have defined highs but sibilance is generally not an issue for me. These WS55s have a bit warmer sound signature and is easy to listen to music for hours without ear fatigue. Bright sounding earphones I own the SSs are much more prominent. The isurus for one and the CKM77 but the CKM77 is more refined but is clean instead of sibilant. I would burn them and see what happens. There is no sibilance on my end at all. Maybe someone else can chime in as well. I doubt everyone is hearing harsh highs. I certainly aint.

I would throw them on a source and let them play overnight and see what happens in the morning. If not you can always return them.

You're probably right, WS55 does have warmer sounds and bass is the way i like it. Like I've said i have only listening to it for 50 mins now (on and off) so just let it play it for 50 hours straight on medium volume? Do you have any preset EQ that's on the IPOD that you might recommend for this particular headphone?

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #219 of 458

Quote:

You're probably right, WS55 does have warmer sounds and bass is the way i like it. Like I've said i have only listening to it for 50 mins now (on and off) so just let it play it for 50 hours straight on medium volume?

Everyone has their methods for burn. For me I throw them on my laptop with sound card and I have a 5 hour long Drum and Bass track and I just let play fairly loud volumes. Not too loud but fairly loud to you. See what happens. It should smooth out your rough highs. Believe me I have no sibilance what so ever even on vocal trance with females hitting them high notes. Nothing. It sounds nice but no grating sibilance.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #220 of 458

Quote:

You're probably right, WS55 does have warmer sounds and bass is the way i like it. Like I've said i have only listening to it for 50 mins now (on and off) so just let it play it for 50 hours straight on medium volume? Do you have any preset EQ that's on the IPOD that you might recommend for this particular headphone?

None of the iPod presets are worth much, to be honest. If you have an iPod Touch, I'd say get the Equalizer app, but if not, better to just disable the EQ.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #221 of 458

Quote:
Everyone has their methods for burn. For me I throw them on my laptop with sound card and I have a 5 hour long Drum and Bass track and I just let play fairly loud volumes. Not too loud but fairly loud to you. See what happens. It should smooth out your rough highs. Believe me I have no sibilance what so ever even on vocal trance with females hitting them high notes. Nothing. It sounds nice but no grating sibilance.

That's what happens to me right now the highs are rough for my taste, so should i play some rock music to smooth out the rough highs? 

Thanks for helping out man i really appreciate it :)

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #223 of 458

Quote:
Rock should work fine. I like bassy tunes to punch out them drivers but anything that throws out the sound should be fine.

I followed your advice and it's in progress and look how happy my assistant is LULZ

Edit: I came back, it's not the broke-in period, but it's actually caused by me not changing the volume like i should. I don't use my headphones, so i use JVC marshmallow earphones and they need to be cranked up on my IPOD to get the sound out of it. I was using the same volume. Imagine JVC's Maximum volume on Ipod = WS-55/M-50's mid volume on Ipod. That what caused all the Distortion. Simply i had my volume up too high for the headphones!!!

Okay, now that's out of the way here's my Review:

Bass quality: 9/10 NOW LET ME EXPLAIN something. WS-55 do NOT i repeat do NOT vibrate like the BEATS STUDIO when there's a bass present. A lot of people think vibration is a good thing, but it's not, it could cause muddiness of the actual music, which i don't like. WS-55 dual air chamber design prevents muddy sounds that you would get from high priced Beats STUDIO or PRO. I can actually hear different bass tunes, when they change during the song. Now with my fiiO E5 amp, MUHAHAAHAHAHAAH eargasmic.

Sound quality: around 9 - 9.5/10 It really is a whole different experience for me. I never knew all these sounds existed! here's a Test for you WS-55 users. Listen to "Get buck in here" and listen to the sound in the beginning. The bass-like effects goes left to right, back and forth. Since i used cheap earphone to listen my ipod i never hear all the details. I do have ATH-M50, but it's too bulky to carry around, so i decided to purchase an earphone pair (JVC marshmallow earphone from walmart).  Also i was listening to some old albums from the 90's 80's and on some tracks you can hear panning effects they had to use in order to fit all the instruments together (around early 70's to 80's). The reason why i didn't give a 10 is simple, the highs were a little rough for my taste, but that doesn't mean i'm right. Everyone's different 
smily_headphones1.gif

Built quality: 8/10 Anyone will tell you that a pair of good headphones are those that can isolate ambient sounds without even turn up the volume. These headphones do a very good job sealing the sounds. If you have a pair, place the headphones on your thigh and see if most of the sounds are contained within the headphone. On my ipod, the volume is at 2/3 bar and the sound is already full on my ear, whereas my JVC earphone it was around 75 to 80. I've noticed that My left side had way more sound than my right side at first. Now it's getting more evened out, however it's still noticeable. I wish it had a little bit more pad on the top side. 

Comfort: 8.5/10 Personally, i can wear the headphone for 5 hours without any problems, but the top side i can use a little more cushion.

Overall experience was good, but the slight lob-sided sound decreased my headphone experience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back