The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
Feb 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #166 of 458
Hey Dsnuts

How does the bass on teh AKG518s compare to the bass on Panny HTF600s. I have the Pannys right now (which happen to be AWESOME) but I want to know if the AKGs are an upgrade.
Or should I just save up for something nicer?

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #167 of 458
The AKGs are portable meaning they are smaller with smaller drivers. They are good for on the go but they don't compete with the bass on the Panasonics. Or the over all sound imo. The one that will compete bass wise out of the 3 on this thread will be the Pioneer HDJ500.

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #169 of 458
When amped yes. Without an amp with some eq it will be close. The Panasonics will have a bit more impact and sub bass will have a bit more extension. The WS55s also have smaller drivers 40mm. But for being portable they definitely do bassy music justice.. The Pioneers have the most bass out of the 3. The WS55 overall has the better SQ.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #170 of 458
Previously owned some PortaPros. Now upgrading. I was originally going to buy the AKGs given how many reviews I've read about them. The things that drew me to them was the price, isolation, and bass. I am a fan of rap songs that have that have the bass come right in your face, but I also enjoy listening to alternative rock and hearing every nuance of the song. So that's why I was hesitant to buy the AKGs + comfort level. The ath-ws55 seem more of my type, but I have two questions...

1. Does the ath-ws55 come with a pouch? I'll be using this at home and everywhere I go. Usually I dump my headphones into my second back pack pocket (which has nothing in it), but I want to be careful with these. So if there is no pouch, how do I store them?

2. How is the isolation compared to the AKGs? Examples would help.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #171 of 458
I like everything on the WS55s better than the AKGs. Better isolation, better bass, better sound quality, better build, everything.  I know the AKGs are half the cost of these WS55s and at $50 bux the AKGs aren't bad but for anyone that listens to hip hop. You gotta hear what these WS55s can do for your hip hop.

The one thing that just throws a wrench for me in the AKGs is the very constrictive sound stage. It is the smallest sound stage I have ever had in any headphone. Heck even over my earphones if you can believe that.. I forgot if they came with a pouch or not. I have to check in my box. I have it stored away will check tomorrow.  I don't think they do..In any case if you are gonna carry these around. The build quality of these alone will be worth it imo..Solid all the way around. Worth the extra money to get them.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #172 of 458
Just to expand a bit relative to the PortaPro. How does the ATs compared to it? I have a PortaPro right now, and loving it, but since it's open, and I take the subway to uni everyday, it's not ideal. Besides, since I did the quarter mod for the PortaPro ear cushions, it almost sounds very balanced, with the bass extends deep and a bit forward compared to the other sounds. Would the WS55 be as close to that but being closed back?

I read your impressions on it and like what I read, but just making sure some more. I'm not a basshead, but appreciate good bass reproduction when it calls for.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #173 of 458
Music has much more weight definition on the WS55 and bass is much tighter on the WS55. The isolation while not the best on the WS55 you actually will get isolation with music playing you can't hear anything outside at all. The WS55 does have a bit warmer sound presentation and is musical the Portapros are more airy as they are open. Mids are kinda muffled a bit on the portapros. The mids on the WS55 are cleaner and smoother at the same time. Highs come in cleaner on the WS55s as well. 

The portapros have been a good cheap go to portable for a reason. For the bux they produce a good sound but they are out classed by the WS55. The sound signature while a bit different instruments have better separation and definition. The bass presentation is similar but the WS55 has the better quality bass here. Sub bass is much weaker on the porta pro.I noticed since the mids on the porta pro is a bit recessed the high notes seem to be more prominent on them giving them the V shape sound so the WS55s are balanced better as well.

Now these do have some big bass so if you want even a more balanced closer to a neutral sounding portable I suggest for the same amount or less you should look up these. ATh-ES55. These are not bassy headphones but are more balanced while providing a similar amount of isolation. I think these will be even better for you vs the WS55s. Especially since you don't want a bassier headphone.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #174 of 458

Quote:
Music has much more weight definition on the WS55 and bass is much tighter on the WS55. The isolation while not the best on the WS55 you actually will get isolation with music playing you can't hear anything outside at all. The WS55 does have a bit warmer sound presentation and is musical the Portapros are more airy as they are open. Mids are kinda muffled a bit on the portapros. The mids on the WS55 are cleaner and smoother at the same time. Highs come in cleaner on the WS55s as well. 

The portapros have been a good cheap go to portable for a reason. For the bux they produce a good sound but they are out classed by the WS55. The sound signature while a bit different instruments have better separation and definition. The bass presentation is similar but the WS55 has the better quality bass here. Sub bass is much weaker on the porta pro.I noticed since the mids on the porta pro is a bit recessed the high notes seem to be more prominent on them giving them the V shape sound so the WS55s are balanced better as well.

Now these do have some big bass so if you want even a more balanced closer to a neutral sounding portable I suggest for the same amount or less you should look up these. ATh-ES55. These are not bassy headphones but are more balanced while providing a similar amount of isolation. I think these will be even better for you vs the WS55s. Especially since you don't want a bassier headphone.

Hmm I see. Thanks for the input. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #175 of 458
Hey I was just wondering exactly how comfortable are the WS55s, I'm trying to find another pair of portables since my CALs died on me.Comfort is really important because I was able to wear the CALs for a LONG time.I know the WS55s are on the ear;do they hurt after a while?And how good is the isolation?

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #176 of 458
Isolation is way better on the WS55s. There is almost none on the Cals. Comfort wise they need to be broken in. When new they do have a clamp but loosens up considerably over time..You need the fit to be somewhat tight otherwise you will get almost no isolation much like the Cals. While not as comfy as the Cals these aren't bad. I have an average sized head but for bigger heads I can see how these would be a bit un comfy.  Even then I am willing to bet if these was stretched over some books for a couple days they would stretch out good enough for comfort.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #178 of 458
Very soft. pleather cushy style..Once you get the headphone stretched out they become comfortable and with the smooth warm sound signature you can listen to your tuned for hours without fatigue.

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #179 of 458
I have both WS55 and WS55i, they both sound different. The WS55 sounds like a smaller version of the PRO700MK2s while the WS55i is more laid back like the M50s. I think it's in the pads, the WS55 pads measure 75mm while the WS55i has 80mm stock pads. The WS55i has a circular pad while the WS55 is elongated.

The pads in the left are the WS55i, in the right are the WS55. FYI: I bought my WS55i in Japan so they might be different from the International releases

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #180 of 458
I ordered my WS55's last night.....should be here in about a week.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back