The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
Oct 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #46 of 458

Quote:
hmm these sound like they're just what i'm looking for! any chance of seeing those pics of the headphones on your head VariableScope? :)

Sorry it took forever, but here is a set of pics I snapped with my Lumix G1 :p http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimramk/sets/72157627892684050/

So far after owning them for over a month, I can say with ease that they were worth every penny. These are my first headphones that can be considered upscale. I got a tiny dent on one of the cups unfortunately (invisible unless up close). Overall though the build is solid. It doesn't feel as luxurious as the titanium in my mom's pair of T50p's but it is better than say the Beats Solo by miles. The ear pads are somewhat larger than expected. They aren't exactly circumaural but they do over most of my ear. I can easily wear the headphones for 2 hours on end unless it's very hot in the room. Isolation is pretty good on these but again behind the T50p. When my volume is set at about 50%, it blocks out most anything though.

If I was to describe their sound, I would say their bass extension is good but I'm sure other headphones go lower. But the bass is nice and tight and doesn't feel boomy or invade in the mids. When I play a song like Tomahawk by BT & Adam K, the bass is full & present. When I play a song like Turning Tables for Adele, it is restrained :) Mids can sometimes come across as recessed but it could be my source (my next purchase will be a DAC/AMP combo). Generally, I can EQ to compensate. Highs are present and non fatiguing for me. I've never felt any sibilance from them. A 4dB boost around 4kHz adds a little twinkle to the sound.

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #49 of 458
Long-time lurker who's finally made an account- just came by to say thanks for the review on the WS55's.  I read it a week ago in my search for new headphones, and I knew I had to order these.

After receiving the red ones a few days ago and burning them in, I have to say that I definitely like these headphones.  Very nice, tight bass that doesn't muddy up the mids (meaning that I can play both electronic and orchestrated music on these without worry).  I can play it at 50-70% full volume and still get a nice impact from it.  It's not exactly an audiophile's phone, but very high quality nonetheless (to my ears, at least).  Not to mention, I love the look of these cans.

I only have a few gripes, though.  One is, I wish they were a little more portable.  If they could fold up rather than just swivel, I'd be able to store it in my backpack a bit easier.
Second problem I have is that these things are still clamping the sides of my head pretty tightly.  I've stretched them out over books for a few nights now, but they're still pretty fatiguing to wear for more than an hour.  I guess I just have a huge noggin :frowning2:
Once I take care of clamp, I will be a thoroughly happy camper 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #50 of 458

Quote:
Long-time lurker who's finally made an account- just came by to say thanks for the review on the WS55's.  I read it a week ago in my search for new headphones, and I knew I had to order these.

After receiving the red ones a few days ago and burning them in, I have to say that I definitely like these headphones.  Very nice, tight bass that doesn't muddy up the mids (meaning that I can play both electronic and orchestrated music on these without worry).  I can play it at 50-70% full volume and still get a nice impact from it.  It's not exactly an audiophile's phone, but very high quality nonetheless (to my ears, at least).  Not to mention, I love the look of these cans.

I only have a few gripes, though.  One is, I wish they were a little more portable.  If they could fold up rather than just swivel, I'd be able to store it in my backpack a bit easier.
Second problem I have is that these things are still clamping the sides of my head pretty tightly.  I've stretched them out over books for a few nights now, but they're still pretty fatiguing to wear for more than an hour.  I guess I just have a huge noggin :frowning2:
Once I take care of clamp, I will be a thoroughly happy camper 
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad you like them.. They are a blast to listen to music with and ultimately that is what it's all about.. They do clamp but will loosen up with use/time.. Keep them over some books over night and they will loosen up nicely...So far it seems every person that ended up getting these end up loving them... They are awesome set of cans and unique in that not many have them or heard of them.

Love how the bass come out to play on bass heavy tunes but is tame on bass light ones...What is funny is I actually thought the red ones were pink based on pictures online. But I like the red ones a lot.. If I knew they were actually red I think I would have gotten them over the black ones. .Notice the other phones I did the review on were both red?  Happy listening and let your friends hear them to spread the word. These WS55s are underrepresented in every way.. But for those that do have them...Great cans..

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #51 of 458
After some time searching for nice headphones, this thread convinced me and I got myself the red WS55s. And they're amazing. Great sound quality (for the price I guess, since I'm not a pro). Rich sound overall. I hear things I didn't even know were there. Bass is great, not humming or muddy, it's clear and exactly where it's supposed to be with nice impact.
They are a bit smaller than I expected them to be but they sit fine and tight around my ears and make perfect seal, although I wouldn't describe them as completely over-ear headphones, the cushions press on my ears as well. The clamp seems a bit too strong for me and my ears ache after some listening time so I hope they'll loosen up a bit.
Great headphones overall, definitely worth the money. And the red is cool.
Thanks for recommendation, I recommend them as well.

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #52 of 458
Damn.. All you guys are making me want to get the red ones. Lol.. Glad everyone is enjoying their WS55s. Based on the score I gave them. I am glad you guys are seeing it the way I heard them.. Believe it or not I have portables that cost double but these remain one of my all time fave portables.

Let your friends hear them so they get jealous...Spread the word on them.. They are awesome for the price and a blast to listen to music with. I own several Audio Technica headphones and these remain my favorite from them.. That bass. What can you say.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #54 of 458
I mostly listen to D'n'b, a little bit of dubstep and hip-hop. I really like nice bass :wink: Will use it with Xperia Play , or with sansa clip+ will it be ok with these devices?

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #55 of 458

Quote:
I mostly listen to D'n'b, a little bit of dubstep and hip-hop. I really like nice bass :wink: Will use it with Xperia Play , or with sansa clip+ will it be ok with these devices?

These are perfect for Dub, Hip hop trance. Anything with bass in it. Yes they are true portables and will drive on anything.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #56 of 458
I picked up a pair of WS55 in black a few weeks back after reading this thread, thanks Dsnuts for the write-up.  I would have preferred them in red, but black was available and the price was right.  

These are very good semi portable HPs and do an awesome job deliverying the bass without mucking up everything else.  I agree with all the comments posted here on performance and comfort.  I also found the clamp too tight, but I carefully bent the headband outward and resolved that issue.  Now, it has a nice snug fit without the excessive pressure on the ears.  Not the most portable, especially if compared to my PX100, but are lightweight with a cord designed for portability and has good isolation.

I'm happy with them and would recommend to anyone listening to a diverse genre of music, wanting a great sounding semi-portable HP that can deliver the bass in the sub $100 price range.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #57 of 458
I think if the drivers or size was smaller on the WS55s. I would be doubtful if they would have the bass as they do now.. You are right that they are kinda in between a full size and a smaller portable but portable enough. I kinda like the size of them..Lets others know you got a serious HP on your head..Lol!  Glad you guys all like them they are indeed a lot of fun to listen to music with.  The Pioneer HDJ500s are big compared to these actually.. I am listening to some state of trance on these now. I think if one had big ears these wouldn't work out so much. They are more supra aural vs circum aural.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #58 of 458
I have been looking for good headphones and those have been in my mind for quite some time now !! All those good reviews make me want to buy them...

I only listen to Electronic Music ( dubstep, techno, electro, minimal...) and for the moment i have some intra's( creative CX 400 II ) wich are good for when i go to school but a bit limited when i am at home.
My question is if those headphones are as good as home then in the transports ? I'm talking about noisy areas such as the train station, in the bus or in the metro, areas where
my intras have provided good isolation, i don't want to be pushing my ipod's volume to its maximum so i want to know if those headphones are really worth it ?

Thanks. (Sorry for any mistakes i am not a natural born englih speaker)

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #59 of 458

Quote:
I have been looking for good headphones and those have been in my mind for quite some time now !! All those good reviews make me want to buy them...

I only listen to Electronic Music ( dubstep, techno, electro, minimal...) and for the moment i have some intra's( creative CX 400 II ) wich are good for when i go to school but a bit limited when i am at home.
My question is if those headphones are as good as home then in the transports ? I'm talking about noisy areas such as the train station, in the bus or in the metro, areas where
my intras have provided good isolation, i don't want to be pushing my ipod's volume to its maximum so i want to know if those headphones are really worth it ?

Thanks. (Sorry for any mistakes i am not a natural born englih speaker)

You are talking about isolation.. These have great isolation.. about the best for any of the portables I own.. These cans are truly for guys that enjoy bassier type music. Electronica, trance, Dub..But will do other genres just fine.  All of it sound awesome on these cans. I can definitely recommend them for your needs.. They drive perfectly on a big stereo or a small Mp3 with no amp needed as well..You will get your monies worth that is for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back