The PENON official thread
Apr 20, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #13,546 of 13,723
All in due time folks. They got the necessary burn in overnight. Will post some impressions soon. Been dealing with a family emergency so I have to do some family support today but I am very much looking forward to dissecting the Voltage.

Unfortunately a product this premium will have the price tag to go with it. I will try to help get the pricing on these to be reasonable so more folks can purchase them. I am curious myself as to what they will charge.

All I am saying is. If you had your heart and soul set on the successor to the Volts. Start saving cus these will be worth whatever Penon will be charging for them. They sound absolutely spectacular on my PB5 amp. Speaking of which I will also show you guys here first another product I got custom made from Penon... It has to do with my PB5 amp.

For guys that own the Ibasso PB5 amp. Keep tabs here. I got something to show you and it involves the TOTEM material!

The tuning switches gives a versatility only the Penon Turbo had. Each switch change makes the voltage have a premium take on a different signature but it stays safe at the same time. These are a clear upgrade on the 10th anniversary as well. With switch's up they are like an Uber 10th. With bass switch up they are uber Volt. They remind me of the mids on the Impacts but then you add them two dynamics handling the bass and I think Impact owners might have a good idea what to expect.

I can literally hear all the good parts of Penon products past on this set. It is that good. It took them a while to bring this one out. I do know they have been working on them since last year. The insides of the Voltage is a stunner. Such a clean layout. Will have more photos and impressions very soon.
If you still have the Impact around try it with the PB5. It sounds fantastic.

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #13,547 of 13,723
Prepare yourself to be disappointed. This VOLTAGE is using the latest generation of Sonion drivers and Penon has been working on this set for at least 2 years. This basically is the Impact with DD.
Then the naming and advertisement that this is the "Volt" sucesor is totally misleading.

In that case I'll have to go with other OEM propositions at my budget.

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #13,548 of 13,723
Prepare yourself to be disappointed. This VOLTAGE is using the latest generation of Sonion drivers and Penon has been working on this set for at least 2 years. This basically is the Impact with DD.

Tuning looks entirely different from Impact.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #13,549 of 13,723
I have no doubt that Voltage will be an excellent iem and I certainly don't expect it to be cheap either, however I think they will have to find a balance equally as there are more and more prominent brands and competition in the IEM market.

Not to mention that today for approximately 2K you can find iems of the caliber of RN6 and Grand Maestro on the second-hand market, which without counting some iems from 4 to 6k we are talking about products that are absolutely at the top of this hobby.

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #13,550 of 13,723
I have no doubt that Voltage will be an excellent iem, and I certainly don't expect it to be cheap either, however I think they will have to find a balance equally as there are more and more prominent brands and competition in the IEM market.

Not to mention that today for approximately 2K you can find iems of the caliber of RN6 and Grand Maestro on the second-hand market, which without counting some iems from 4 to 6k we are talking about products that are absolutely at the top of this hobby.

Agree 👍

As mentioned before, 500-700$ is Not cheap at all.

The 2K and upward iem's are a luxury most hobbyists can't reach. & of course, I would like to hear, but so far, I can't justify them.

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #13,554 of 13,723
Agree 👍

As mentioned before, 500-700$ is Not cheap at all.

The 2K and upward iem's are a luxury most hobbyists can't reach. & of course, I would like to hear, but so far, I can't justify them.
CanJam time! You can demo all the expensive toys you'll never own. That's my plan anyways lol

Apr 20, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #13,556 of 13,723
For guys that own the Ibasso PB5 amp. Keep tabs here. I got something to show you and it involves the TOTEM material!
Do tell!!!

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #13,557 of 13,723
DSC01780.JPG

Voltage. They remind me of a lot of the prior Penon stuff but all the good parts of them. The switches brings a new flavor. Base tuning is fairly neutralish/ harmonish with excellent balance. Folks that was worried about treble roll off, with treble switch on it gives a nice additional sparkle and shimmer to the treble notes handled by the ESTs. So far, all of it sounds good with or without the switches. It will be a matter of what you prefer. Want a less colored sound, use the base balanced mode. Want a bit more bass, lower mid warmth/ fullness. Turn on the 1 bass switch. Want a bit more extra treble and air the treble 2 switch.
DSC01778.JPG

Want all of it, both switches does a great job and this is where these remind me of a much more refined 10th anniversary.
4 sound tubes with 4 distinct zones of sound separation all jiving at once. Bass end is fantastic. I prefer the bass switch. It's nothing like the 10dbs of bass for something like the TSMR-X but more like the bass end of the balanced 2 switch or about 7dbs of bass. Tasteful. Solid impact and texture is fantastic. So far quality all around. Definitely one of Penons best efforts. It shows just how much they paid attention to detail of the overall design on this one. The switch thing is not a gimmick on these. They are for real.
DSC01779.JPG

The base tuning itself could have been an IEM people would have gladly bought but them added switches brings real variability.
DSC01782.JPG

As per my custom item. I recently saw this item on Penon web site. It is a USB-C to USB-C cable but with one very important distinction. It is using the Totem material.
1713657604897.png

For those of you that don't know anything about what the TOTEM is. It so happens to be one of Penons greatest achievements in cable land. Take a look at this.

1713657723344.png

The cable itself is flagship material which sells for $699 for the IEM cable version
1713657874099.png

Penon already makes a 4.4mm interconnect to 4.4mm, pigtails, extenders. All sorts of goodness with this marterial.

1713657916176.png

Sells for $59. But my only issue with this cable was that it is a bit too short. So I asked them if they can make one with double the length. Or about 8 inches. Then the idea came to me they have custom plugs as well. So I asked if they can make an 8 inch one with something like the purple plugs or Rhodium plugs and. Whala. This is the result.
DSC01781.JPG

DSC01777.JPG

Dont know how much you all believe in what cable material does for a sound but the reason why I had Penon make these for me was I knew as soon as I got the PB5. These had to be a part of the chain. The stock interconnect Ibasso provides is decent but is by no means optimal. These Totem interconnects on the other had. Is optimal. Going back to the Stock interconnect. There is no comparison what these Totem cables do. What makes these customized was that I am now able to connect any of the 3 plug materials on the shorter interconnect as it is modular on both sides. So what does that do for the PB5 you ask? Hows about supercharging that sound. Greater note weight, fullness, better textures, even a greater expansion of sound.-- And this is exactly what the Totem IEM cables does for your IEM sound as well.. I know a lot of you might think a small portion of the TOTEM material can't make much of a difference... OH it does. There is no going back to the stock included interconnect. For folks that invested in the IBasso PB5.. Get yourself at least the stock Totem interconnect. Or if your interested in getting one with modular plugs that will cost a lot more but being able to change out plug material does make a slight shift. I prefer the purple or palladium plated plug the most out of the 3. Believe me if you never thought you would hear a change using a simple interconnect. Thats because you have never used a TOTEM interconnect. These make a very noticeable difference. When you get one thank me later. It will make what is already ground breaking in the PB5. That much better.

You know upon looking at the Standard 4.4mm interconnect. That cable is too short. If you do order one you might want to ask Penon if they can make a longer one or mention my name and my version of the interconnect and they might be able to accommodate. Might set you back a few more bucks but it will be worth it.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #13,558 of 13,723

Voltage. They remind me of a lot of the prior Penon stuff but all the good parts of them. The switches brings a new flavor. Base tuning is fairly neutralish/ harmonish with excellent balance. Folks that was worried about treble roll off, with treble switch on it gives a nice additional sparkle and shimmer to the treble notes handled by the ESTs. So far, all of it sounds good with or without the switches. It will be a matter of what you prefer. Want a less colored sound, use the base balanced mode. Want a bit more bass, lower mid warmth/ fullness. Turn on the 1 bass switch. Want a bit more extra treble and air the treble 2 switch.

Want all of it, both switches does a great job and this is where these remind me of a much more refined 10th anniversary.
4 sound tubes with 4 distinct zones of sound separation all jiving at once. Bass end is fantastic. I prefer the bass switch. It's nothing like the 10dbs of bass for something like the TSMR-X but more like the bass end of the balanced 2 switch or about 7dbs of bass. Tasteful. Solid impact and texture is fantastic. So far quality all around. Definitely one of Penons best efforts. It shows just how much they paid attention to detail of the overall design on this one. The switch thing is not a gimmick on these. They are for real.

The base tuning itself could have been an IEM people would have gladly bought but them added switches brings real variability.

As per my custom item. I recently saw this item on Penon web site. It is a USB-C to USB-C cable but with one very important distinction. It is using the Totem material.

For those of you that don't know anything about what the TOTEM is. It so happens to be one of Penons greatest achievements in cable land. Take a look at this.

The cable itself is flagship material which sells for $699 for the IEM cable version

Penon already makes a 4.4mm interconnect to 4.4mm, pigtails, extenders. All sorts of goodness with this marterial.

Sells for $59. But my only issue with this cable was that it is a bit too short. So I asked them if they can make one with double the length. Or about 8 inches. Then the idea came to me they have custom plugs as well. So I asked if they can make an 8 inch one with something like the purple plugs or Rhodium plugs and. Whala. This is the result.

Dont know how much you all believe in what cable material does for a sound but the reason why I had Penon make these for me was I knew as soon as I got the PB5. These had to be a part of the chain. The stock interconnect Ibasso provides is decent but is by no means optimal. These Totem interconnects on the other had. Is optimal. Going back to the Stock interconnect. There is no comparison what these Totem cables do. What makes these customized was that I am now able to connect any of the 3 plug materials on the shorter interconnect as it is modular on both sides. So what does that do for the PB5 you ask? Hows about supercharging that sound. Greater note weight, fullness, better textures, even a greater expansion of sound.-- And this is exactly what the Totem IEM cables does for your IEM sound as well.. I know a lot of you might think a small portion of the TOTEM material can't make much of a difference... OH it does. There is no going back to the stock included interconnect. For folks that invested in the IBasso PB5.. Get yourself at least the stock Totem interconnect. Or if your interested in getting one with modular plugs that will cost a lot more but being able to change out plug material does make a slight shift. I prefer the purple or palladium plated plug the most out of the 3. Believe me if you never though you would hear a change using a simple interconnect. Thats because you have never used a TOTEM interconnect. These make a very noticeable difference. When you get one thank me later. It will make what is already ground breaking in the PB5. That much better.
Thanks for your first impressions, I already like that is somewhat "similar" to the 10AE, as I love it!

I've got a USB-C to USB-C from DD ddHiFi that changes the character and depth of the sound.

I wasn't a believer, as per USB-C what travel is data, even that is affected by the material. Is incredible.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #13,559 of 13,723
DSC01780.JPG
DSC01778.JPG
DSC01779.JPG
DSC01782.JPG
1713657604897.png

1713657723344.png
1713657874099.png

1713657916176.png
DSC01781.JPG
DSC01777.JPG
Dont know how much you all believe in what cable material does for a sound but the reason why I had Penon make these for me was I knew as soon as I got the PB5. These had to be a part of the chain. The stock interconnect Ibasso provides is decent but is by no means optimal. These Totem interconnects on the other had. Is optimal. Going back to the Stock interconnect. There is no comparison what these Totem cables do. What makes these customized was that I am now able to connect any of the 3 plug materials on the shorter interconnect as it is modular on both sides. So what does that do for the PB5 you ask? Hows about supercharging that sound. Greater note weight, fullness, better textures, even a greater expansion of sound.-- And this is exactly what the Totem IEM cables does for your IEM sound as well.. I know a lot of you might think a small portion of the TOTEM material can't make much of a difference... OH it does. There is no going back to the stock included interconnect. For folks that invested in the IBasso PB5.. Get yourself at least the stock Totem interconnect. Or if your interested in getting one with modular plugs that will cost a lot more but being able to change out plug material does make a slight shift. I prefer the purple or palladium plated plug the most out of the 3. Believe me if you never thought you would hear a change using a simple interconnect. Thats because you have never used a TOTEM interconnect. These make a very noticeable difference. When you get one thank me later. It will make what is already ground breaking in the PB5. That much better.

You know upon looking at the Standard 4.4mm interconnect. That cable is too short. If you do order one you might want to ask Penon if they can make a longer one or mention my name and my version of the interconnect and they might be able to accommodate. Might set you back a few more bucks but it will be worth it.
Thanks for the first impressions. I assume the Totem cable will also have good synergy with VOLTAGE. I know they will announce a new TOTL cable soon.

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #13,560 of 13,723
Don't know. It does come with a nicely matching Obsidian modular cable. Much like how it was used for the Impacts to bring a richer flavor to the sonics. It does the same with the Voltage. Obsidian cable is excellent for what it does but there is room for experimentation with other cables but that is for later. Been listening to them on and off on my PB5 amp. It sounds damn good. There is no other way to describe what I am hearing from this combo. AS with all Penon IEMs the stage on these IEMs are so nicely proportioned. Wide deep full bodied. Love this sound. Gonna keep burning them in and will write up more of what I am hearing on them and report here. It is so far exactly what I thought a proper successor to the volt should be and it will appeal to a lot of folks as it can go from neutralish to a mild V with excellent dynamics to all of its sound.

I have seen a steady progress of Penon IEMs through the years and I have to say. These guys are clearly learning from what they have made in the past. What works and what doesn't. The Voltage is a clear indicator that they are utilizing everything they are good at. The tuning is fantastic not to mention these are just stunning to look at. The sheer amount of engineering involved to stuff 4ESTs, 4 Sonion BAs and 2x8mm dynamics for bass.

The shells by the way are roughly compact larger in size, this is to be expected with the amount of drivers they got going on. They are roughly similar in shape thickness to the 10th anniversary. A bit bulkier but fitment is very similar in the ear.
DSC01783.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back