The PENON official thread
Feb 12, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #12,946 of 13,721
Thank you for the suggestions. I took notes because the Penon site is currently not available.
The V16 has a really good resolution and stage. The 16 stands for 16 BA drivers on each side.
Here is the link to original cable: https://www.thieaudio.com/products/thieaudio-smart-cable-1

The sound shouldn't necessarily become brighter, that's fine so far. Silver is always a bit counterproductive for me. Some warmth in the 200Hz range would be desirable. A little more bass is also acceptable. The bass is really good for a BA, tight, springy and not thin. It is slightly stronger than the Penon Impact, but weaker than the Turbo. Due to the flu epidemic in Germany, I could only hear it with the CS819 in 4.4mm. But I will get it again after the tour and then publish my review here.
Budget-wise, around $250 would probably be the maximum. But that's not set in stone.
32 BAs in all? Holly molly!

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #12,948 of 13,721

I somehow remember this cable from some time ago. Not particularly fond of it even back then tbh (plus I dislike fabric sleeves).

The sound shouldn't necessarily become brighter, that's fine so far. Silver is always a bit counterproductive for me. Some warmth in the 200Hz range would be desirable. A little more bass is also acceptable. The bass is really good for a BA, tight, springy and not thin. It is slightly stronger than the Penon Impact, but weaker than the Turbo.

This is very helpful in placing it within the Penon-verse, at least with respect to its bass tuning, and gives me a little more confidence recommending the GC4. It’s very enjoyable with the Impact, and would probably get more time on the Impact if I didn’t also have Raphael, which is hands-down more resolving (but also costs significantly more).

Budget-wise, around $250 would probably be the maximum. But that's not set in stone.

I also enjoy Wagnus Neu-Klein and Rosenkranz Tinned Flex very much with the Impact. Both excellent cables from Japan, one slightly above your budget and the other slightly under. The Wagnus is centred more on the mids with less emphasis on the bass, and the Rosenkranz a bit more even-handed throughout.

None of these 4 cables would make the sound too bright - they all have quite extended but subtle treble handling which makes its presence felt in the imaging and positional detail imo.

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #12,951 of 13,721
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/is...anar-universal-iem.27032/reviews#review-32981
one.jpegtwo.jpeg

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #12,952 of 13,721
So, I have been buring-in my Quattro constantly for the past 3 days, and I just put on a pair of Spinfit CP100. I just had a quick listen, and holy crap this really is my dream pair of iems! I love the Quattro, and with some burn-in and Spinfits it is really coming into it's own, and the staging is opening up quite nicely. I have the Penon B and O tips on the way, but with what I am hearing with the Spinfits I don't know if it can get any better. . .

Penon really knocked it out of the park with this one. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #12,953 of 13,721
More listening time with my Quattro's and a pattern is emerging. . .every song I throw at them no matter the genre, sounds incredible!

There is just the right amount of everything with a little magic sprinkled on top, and I seriously love this iem! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #12,954 of 13,721
More listening time with my Quattro's and a pattern is emerging. . .every song I throw at them no matter the genre, sounds incredible!

There is just the right amount of everything with a little magic sprinkled on top, and I seriously love these iems! :ksc75smile:
In my experience there is no other set of IEMs like them. Cheers!

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #12,955 of 13,721
It seems that this Quattro aims for a tremendously positive, desired and comfortable listening experience. I take good note of it.
And as our colleague @Wes S relates, a pattern is also emerging on my NEO 5 in every song I listen to, regardless of the genre, it sounds incredible and very very balanced.

Thanks for sharing.

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #12,956 of 13,721
Penon site down again?.. really wish they would figure these website issues out.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #12,957 of 13,721
Hey folks,

I am looking for a suggestion for an affordable portable amp, that I can use with my RU7 to get a little more power for my Quattro's. I love my Quattro with my RU7 and Samsung S22+, but I know there is more gains to be had with some more power/grip. Any suggestions would be great, and I am looking to stay around $500 or under.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #12,958 of 13,721
Hello all,

Would some1 please do a compare/contrast between the Quattro and the EA1000 Simgot? Im torn between the TM-X and the Quattro. Also, what I love about the EA1000 is the tonality. I feel it needs a little help with low EQ, and wish it had a little more forward and lush midrange. The highs are good enough IMO.

Cheers

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #12,959 of 13,721
Hey folks,

I am looking for a suggestion for an affordable portable amp, that I can use with my RU7 to get a little more power for my Quattro's. I love my Quattro with my RU7 and Samsung S22+, but I know there is more gains to be had with some more power/grip. Any suggestions would be great, and I am looking to stay around $500 or under.

Thanks!
Can't go wrong with the iFi Gryphon, I use it as both a standalone dac/amp or with a dap/dongle line in. Love it with both the Serial and Quattro. you'd have to wait for a classifieds deal though, I saw one on reddit /AVexchange for $300!

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #12,960 of 13,721
Hey folks,

Thanks!
Quattro needs more power than an RU7 can give?.. seems unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back