The PENON official thread
Feb 12, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #12,931 of 13,835
You are not alone, been that way all day.
penon site down for anyone else? I really can't wait for my OSS 133 usb-c to 4.4mm adapter arrives.. maybe monday or tuesday

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #12,933 of 13,835
Could someone please provide me with a hint regarding cable comparisons?

I haven't found the desired information yet. In essence, I am looking for something tighter than the CS819 but preferably more musical than the Impact cable. Pure silver is not my cup of tea in terms of sound.

Feb 12, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #12,934 of 13,835
Could someone please provide me with a hint regarding cable comparisons?

I haven't found the desired information yet. In essence, I am looking for something tighter than the CS819 but preferably more musical than the Impact cable. Pure silver is not my cup of tea in terms of sound.

I have the Obsidian cable, where the Obsidian is 18K and OCC and the Impact is 24K and OCC that’s the only difference, they are basically the same cable. And of course I have the CS819 that came with the Serial for one. More musical would lead me to recommend the ASOS cable, and while the Penon Mix has pure silver and pure copper, the results are a tiny more upper energy. Where the ASOS is just wonderfully transparent and offers soundstage girth without the total brightness of the Mix. Also the ASOS has a unique bass stage and separation along with blackness of background. What can I say I really like the ASOS and find it goes with a lot. What IEM do you have in mind.....the Impact? Sorry don’t have that one, so I can’t tell you what it is like, Dsnuts has the Impact though. But tighter than the CS819?

Edit:
Really most cables are tighter than the CS819, as you go up in price.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #12,935 of 13,835
I'm currently looking for a cable for the Thieaudio V16 Divinity. I don't like the sound or feel of the standard cable. I used the CS819 in 4.4mm. It sounds very musical, but the separation suffers. I'm currently using Tripowin Petrichor. Which is pretty close to my preference. but perhaps an increase is possible.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #12,936 of 13,835
I'm currently looking for a cable for the Thieaudio V16 Divinity. I don't like the sound or feel of the standard cable. I used the CS819 in 4.4mm. It sounds very musical, but the separation suffers. I'm currently using Tripowin Petrichor. Which is pretty close to my preference. but perhaps an increase is possible.
Never heard the Divinity or the Tripowin cable? Well, I see the Tripowin is OCC and Silver, OCC and Copper and OCC and Gold, but it’s a $49.99 cable. I’m not saying price totally matters, but at times it does. The CS819 is warm and even going thus maybe you perceive it as musical. But yes, there are limits to what the CS819 is capable of, and absolutely separation is one. What character didn’t you like about the included cable? My problem here is I never heard the Divinity, so it is difficult and normally I never recommend anything I haven’t heard, as it is simply shooting into the wind. But I have used the ASOS on all kinds of IEMs and it is incredibly even and consistent. It would probably maximize your stage into a place you didn’t even know was possible, without still being too bright at the same time, as it is powerful but not strange ever how it works with all the IEMs I have used it with? Another route you could chase would be the new RENADA cable as it is the warmth your talking about with separation, it is darker than the ASOS but wonderful and big sounding. It should be for sale soon. I’m writing a review for it as we speak. It is different than the first beta version of the RENATA (different cable) as it goes with all the Penon/ISN IEMs I have tried it with, some great and some really great! It will end up being priced somewhere around the $250 to $300 price point.

It is like the ISN CS02 in that it offers both stage and warmth, at the same time, is ways just like the CS819, but with extra clarity and separation at hand. It kind of adds intensity but of a darker style of intensity, like muted colors that are still really intense because they are still vibrant and clear, but not mainstream totally and full of brighter energy like the Penon ASOS would have, a smoother and powerful style, still bringing the stage way out.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #12,938 of 13,835
The imaging and timbre of the V16 itself is fantastic. I would like to describe it in musical-analytical terms. However, the original cable makes the sound too analytical. that makes it sound a bit bland. it is also a silver OCC and it opens the stage a bit. But (too much?) silver removes the warmth in the sound for me. the Petrichor is actually a dealbreaker at €49. it suits my preferences pretty well. Good things don't always have to be expensive.

Feb 12, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #12,939 of 13,835
The imaging and timbre of the V16 itself is fantastic. I would like to describe it in musical-analytical terms. However, the original cable makes the sound too analytical. that makes it sound a bit bland. it is also a silver OCC and it opens the stage a bit. But (too much?) silver removes the warmth in the sound for me. the Petrichor is actually a dealbreaker at €49. it suits my preferences pretty well. Good things don't always have to be expensive.
OK, then you should re read my prior post (I added to it) because the RENADA really sounds like what you are after. Still I’m not recommending the RENATA because I haven’t heard the Divinity, but in a way I am. You really are describing the RENATA? Lol.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #12,940 of 13,835
But what about the bass stage, would you accept a thoroughly brought up intensity like more forward and more intense bass than the CS819? Because that is also the fallout of this style of cable, the RENATA goes ahead and maximizes the bass making it totally vivid and forward. It kind of opens the lower stage and adds definition/clarity and blackness of background, showing extra low end details while boosting and bringing the bass up?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #12,941 of 13,835
I have the Obsidian cable, where the Obsidian is 18K and OCC and the Impact is 24K and OCC that’s the only difference, they are basically the same cable. And of course I have the CS819 that came with the Serial for one. More musical would lead me to recommend the ASOS cable, and while the Penon Mix has pure silver and pure copper, the results are a tiny more upper energy. Where the ASOS is just wonderfully transparent and offers soundstage girth without the total brightness of the Mix. Also the ASOS has a unique bass stage and separation along with blackness of background. What can I say I really like the ASOS and find it goes with a lot. What IEM do you have in mind.....the Impact? Sorry don’t have that one, so I can’t tell you what it is like, Dsnuts has the Impact though. But tighter than the CS819?

Edit:
Really most cables are tighter than the CS819, as you go up in price.
I also love the ASOS. My favourite out of 80+ cables. Great separation and clarity without adding brightness. The only downside is that it made my other cables seem worse in comparison.

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #12,942 of 13,835
I also love the ASOS. My favourite out of 80+ cables. Great separation and clarity without adding brightness. The only downside is that it made my other cables seem worse in comparison.
I can’t get over the ASOS? 80 cables....wow! Ya the ASOS is polite and careful, yet still wholesome (transparent) and has that extra midrange tilt/girth that somehow brings out the best in stuff.

Though I think my recommendation (without hearing the combo) in this new RENATA.......is more what he is looking for, only because I started wondering why he likes the CS819 so much? And his additional comments about brighter cables?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #12,943 of 13,835

What’s your budget anyway? I am not familiar with the V16 either, but have at least four CS819s lying around in drawers or packed away as they always seem to come as stock and invariably get switched out for something else so yeah, serviceable as an entry level cable but perhaps not if you’re after something better. Asos is an easy rec and good all-rounder. If you’re focused on musicality (which usually means making the most of the mids) a good cable that comes to mind is ISN GC4 which can help with sub bass weight as well a nice bump to mid bass and lower mids while keeping a good amount of air on top. Or if you’re after something more midcentric and resolving (assuming your source and your budget provides for it), Eletech Raphael.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #12,944 of 13,835
What’s your budget anyway? I am not familiar with the V16 either, but have at least four CS819s lying around in drawers or packed away as they always seem to come as stock and invariably get switched out for something else so yeah, serviceable as an entry level cable but perhaps not if you’re after something better. Asos is an easy rec and good all-rounder. If you’re focused on musicality (which usually means making the most of the mids) a good cable that comes to mind is ISN GC4 which can help with sub bass weight as well a nice bump to mid bass and lower mids while keeping a good amount of air on top. Or if you’re after something more midcentric and resolving (assuming your source and your budget provides for it), Eletech Raphael.
Isn’t the GC4 wild, in that it is one of the thinnest cables, yet offers some of the thickest sound ever. I have been using the GC4 for so much recently, it is great with the Reecho SG-01 Dawn. Where the prior OVA had very little difference with the GC4, the GC4 made the lower midrange have tons of details and added soundstage to the whole Dawn. Of course we are adding the CG4 here to roughly $50 IEM but it makes it priceless! :)

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #12,945 of 13,835
Thank you for the suggestions. I took notes because the Penon site is currently not available.
The V16 has a really good resolution and stage. The 16 stands for 16 BA drivers on each side.
Here is the link to original cable: https://www.thieaudio.com/products/thieaudio-smart-cable-1

The sound shouldn't necessarily become brighter, that's fine so far. Silver is always a bit counterproductive for me. Some warmth in the 200Hz range would be desirable. A little more bass is also acceptable. The bass is really good for a BA, tight, springy and not thin. It is slightly stronger than the Penon Impact, but weaker than the Turbo. Due to the flu epidemic in Germany, I could only hear it with the CS819 in 4.4mm. But I will get it again after the tour and then publish my review here.
Budget-wise, around $250 would probably be the maximum. But that's not set in stone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back