The PENON official thread
Sep 18, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #11,176 of 13,734
Since Serial is 3DD with 300$ price tag, imma assume the new 4DD would be at least 499$ (with it being unique and stuff)
Hope more for 399$. Call me in then.

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #11,177 of 13,734
Since Serial is 3DD with 300$ price tag, imma assume the new 4DD would be at least 499$ (with it being unique and stuff)
$499 for a 4DD IEM. I don't think so. I doubt it would be to much more expensive than the fabulous Penon Serial. The 10th Anniversary with 2 BA + 2 EST+ 2 DD is $499, so how could the Penon 4DD cost that much?

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #11,178 of 13,734
$499 for a 4DD IEM. I don't think so. I doubt it would be to much more expensive than the fabulous Penon Serial. The 10th Anniversary with 2 BA + 2 EST+ 2 DD is $499, so how could the Penon 4DD cost that much?
Don't get me wrong, i HOPE with all my heart that it would cost less. 400 would be logical. But like, it's not just about the driver count, considering the Turbo for example, 6BA but priced at 500$, as well as Globe being 1+2 but cost 329$!, higher than the Serial even. Not to mention 4DD is a unique configuration, as well as being an "unimplied" upgrade for Serial, i wouldn't be surprise if it would cost more. Time will tell tho.

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #11,179 of 13,734
Didn’t I hear on here 6 months or so someone saying that Penon were working on flagship hybrid set? So that could the DD, BA, Est touted to be out soon. It could be more along the line of Impact plus DD bass? That would be expensive.

For the 4DD set, I’m hoping it’s going to be a vast improvement on Serial. I love the Serial don’t get me wrong; but imagine more stage and technicalities whilst keeping the coherence and analog nature! I’d probably buy that in an instance.

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #11,180 of 13,734
Didn’t I hear on here 6 months or so someone saying that Penon were working on flagship hybrid set? So that could the DD, BA, Est touted to be out soon. It could be more along the line of Impact plus DD bass? That would be expensive.

For the 4DD set, I’m hoping it’s going to be a vast improvement on Serial. I love the Serial don’t get me wrong; but imagine more stage and technicalities whilst keeping the coherence and analog nature! I’d probably buy that in an instance.
They have been working on 2 prototypes: 1DD/4BA/4EST and 1DD/6BA/EST. Not sure about the final driver configuration and tuning.

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #11,181 of 13,734
Here's a hypothetical for the cable experts...

I'm going to have my Leo Plus terminated with a permanent 4.4 plug. Purple or rhodium?

I have no idea which, but this will be permanent, so any guidance is appreciated.

Of course, I'll also ask Penon!

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #11,182 of 13,734
After ISN H30-H40-D10-Neo5, I've got the chance to review the H50.
With H40 and Neo5, it's another favorite.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-h50.25550/reviews

Bass and mid-licious, when musicality meet potent technicalities, were into what this hobby is all about: enjoying the music in an engaging non displeasant way.

Pros:
-Lush bassy balanced tonality
-full bodied male and female vocal
-beautiful mid range (not thin)
-natural timbre
-wide soundstage
-holographic layering
-round punchy vibrant bass
-smooth fatigue free treble
-not harman tuned
-versatile tonality
-cohesive organic tuning
-generous accessories

Cons:
-lack of sparkle
-not cleanest macro dynamic
-average imaging
-dark definition of instrument presence

1695082465067.png

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #11,183 of 13,734
Well now that my Penon 10th Anniversary are well burned in they are virtually the perfect IEM. Good, particularly detailed bass notes with solid mid-bass impact and enough rumbly sub-bass. Mids and vocals have the Penon genes. Male vocals are full, with great body and completely accurate timbre. Guitars have great note edges with good timbre and tone. Female vocals have beautiful tonality and musicality. EST highs have that liquid quality that good ESTs bring, and define EST IEMs being above all others at this present time. Amazingly musical, a purrfect, perfect IEM.
I received the ISN H40 at the same time as the 10th Anniversary and that is insanely good too.

1695115914038.png

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #11,184 of 13,734
Well now that my Penon 10th Anniversary are well burned in they are virtually the perfect IEM. Good, particularly detailed bass notes with solid mid impact and enough rumbly sub-bass. Mids and vocals have the Penon genes. Male vocals are full, with great body and completely accurate timbre. Guitars have great note edges with good timbre and tone. Female vocals have beautiful tonality and musicality. EST highs have that liquid quality that good ESTs bring, and define EST IEMs being above all others at this present time. Amazingly musical, a purrfect, perfect IEM.
I received the ISN H40 at the same time as the 10th Anniversary and that is insanely good too.

just to add here that i still remember the first time i heard ISN H40..........That was a jaw dropping experience as well..................i was awed from the stage,the note weight and the bombastic bass ............

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #11,185 of 13,734

I might be only penon fan to listen to Waylon on 10th ae 😆 🇭🇰 🇺🇸

I’m using these Dunu silicone tips I can’t find link - came with zen. Great ba timbre. I think with amp 11 mk2 and dx300 the mids are really shining. Also have only ran isn g4 on this one. I find this setup to be really mid centric while listening to this live album by Waylon. I think it’s the imaging that is captivating! The only thing I can think to compare it to is aeon flow 2 closed. I always thought those cans had exceptional imaging. Could just be the mastering and my setup but it’s almost like a fish eyed lens. Real laser focus on mids and bass and treble is easy to track but just behind mids.

Loving penon I can never say “oh I miss my u12t or legend x” over these ~$500 sets

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #11,186 of 13,734
Here's a hypothetical for the cable experts...

I'm going to have my Leo Plus terminated with a permanent 4.4 plug. Purple or rhodium?

I have no idea which, but this will be permanent, so any guidance is appreciated.

Of course, I'll also ask Penon!
The Rhodium plug is already in my country, but not at my door. I can demo both and will make an entire review on the difference from the Rhodium to Purple Plug.

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #11,187 of 13,734
1695177819796.png

Testing the Rhodium plugs on the ISN cables C2, H2, S2... Also tried it on the original black Obsidian Cable. It is pretty unanimous across the board on what these plugs do.

In each of these cables there is greater transparency, better sense of air to the sound of an IEM it is connected to. In my case I used the Butastur as it is a neutrally uncolored tuned balanced IEM and it clearly lets me know what is different in a sound chain. The effects of the Rhodium plug is different than let's say what pure silver does for a copper cable for example. You can perceive better details but more importantly increases the sense of micro details more in your music. More nuances and effects of a recording. It seems the darker tuned a cable is, AKA copper based cables benefit the most. In silver plated cables like the ISN S2 stage is enhanced even more so than the stock plug, even more so than the C2 copper cable. This plug seems to enhance the materials of what makes the cable take on its sound and tonal properties to be even better which ends up becoming a higher quality version of itself.

These plugs don't change the tonal quality of a given cable but it does clean up the sound quality of how your cable helps portray sound on your IEMs. This makes a lot of sense as gold plating on copper has a tendency to darken tonal qualities. Rhodium seems to be much more window like/ transparent in how it helps a sound. Music sounds cleaner due to better transparency is the best way I can describe its effects. Are these plugs worth the $29 Penon is asking for them?

Absolutely. I have spent more on tips to be honest. Once you try these on your existing Penon/ ISN cables there is no going back. What made these cables initially to be a clear upgrade for your IEMs now become even better. There is a reason why boutique cable makers charge up to a $100 or more just for the plug of this quality. If I didn't do an A/B back and forth using the same tracks switching from the Rhodium plug to the stock one, listening intently I would have never guessed a simple plug would make such a difference. Its not just one cable it has an effect on. It is anything it is attached to. Any of you guys own any of the modular cables.

Thumbs up from me. These plugs are a clear upgrade to the modular cables that Penon sells. A clear upgrade.

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #11,188 of 13,734
Funny that you mention this. I’m much easier to convince when there’s a DD or two on bass duties. But the Butastur bass BA gets it right and it comes uncannily close to a DD in the note weight it manages to convey.

All the same, if your bias is overwhelmingly, perfectionistically towards vocals, yeah, skip it. If I were to nitpick, I’d say it’s the upper mids that come across as being a bit more BA-like than the rest of the frequency range. It probably won’t bother most people but I’m a sucker for coherency and already spoilt by the likes of Volt and Aurora mids.
DTE900 sounds right up my alley but I’m pretty happy with what I have at the moment. Still, I’ve been reading the impressions with interest as they come in, so never say never.
It's hard being spoilt by Volt and Aurora. My nit-picking with vocals are now a notch higher. Probably the reason why I'm waiting for further review of DTE900. And now another wait period for the new tribrid and 4 DD.

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #11,189 of 13,734
From the soon to released Rhodium Plug review:

DSC_0184.jpegqq.jpeg

Top to bottom:
Penon Rhodium 3-in-1 Plug $29.00
ISN CS02 with Rhodium Plug $69.90
Penon OSG with Rhodium Plug $299.00

3 in 1 Series:
Penon OBSIDIAN $149.00
Penon Leo Plus $249.00
Penon Mix (with 3-in-1 Palladium "Purple" Plug) $149.00 (Cable by itself)
Penon Space $99.90

Each style of cable produces alternate sonic properties. But what if you could buy a single $29.00 (additive plug) to enhance an IEM/Cable set-up you already have in place?

That's what the $29.00 Penon Rhodium Plug is about.
That's what the $29.00 Penon Palladium "Purple" Plug is about.

Compatible models:

PENON 3-in-1 cables: Penon OBSIDIAN , Penon Mix , Penon Storm , Penon Impact cable , Penon Space , Penon Totem , Penon Leo plus
ISN 3-in-1 cables: ISN Solar , ISN H2 , ISN S2 , ISN C2

DSC_0171.jpegww.jpeg
DSC_0021.jpegf.jpeg

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #11,190 of 13,734
From the soon to released Rhodium Plug review:

DSC_0184.jpegqq.jpeg

Top to bottom:
Penon Rhodium 3-in-1 Plug $29.00
ISN CS02 with Rhodium Plug $69.90
Penon OSG with Rhodium Plug $299.00

3 in 1 Series:
Penon OBSIDIAN $149.00
Penon Leo Plus $249.00
Penon Mix (with 3-in-1 Palladium "Purple" Plug) $149.00 (Cable by itself)
Penon Space $99.90

Each style of cable produces alternate sonic properties. But what if you could buy a single $29.00 (additive plug) to enhance an IEM/Cable set-up you already have in place?

That's what the $29.00 Penon Rhodium Plug is about.
That's what the $29.00 Penon Palladium "Purple" Plug is about.

Compatible models:

PENON 3-in-1 cables: Penon OBSIDIAN , Penon Mix , Penon Storm , Penon Impact cable , Penon Space , Penon Totem , Penon Leo plus
ISN 3-in-1 cables: ISN Solar , ISN H2 , ISN S2 , ISN C2

DSC_0171.jpegww.jpegDSC_0021.jpegf.jpeg
What is the actual difference in sound between these two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back