The PENON official thread
Jun 11, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #9,811 of 13,742
Certainly I wasn’t the one who was disappointed.

Anyway here’s a track for everyone to try out bass textures on their IEM of choice. Cheers.

*puts Serial back into ears*

Or different kind of bass:

Jun 11, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #9,814 of 13,742
hey guys after a month i'd become such addicted to serial that i can't enjoy vortex as i was used to do, now they appear to me too much bright, when before serial i was writing on these pages that for me vortex weren't bright at all, so my brain has adjusted\modified earing in another direction, just to say how much the brain has a role in our listening. i'm curious now to buy again the fan2 to see if i could appreciate them in a new way, also pairing it with gryphon that i did not have when i had fan2.

Jun 11, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #9,815 of 13,742

Anyway here’s a track for everyone to try out bass textures on their IEM of choice. Cheers.

Perfect, I use some similar stuff with Jazz genre when checking bass texture. The nuances in double bass with both plucking and bowing is perfect for it. Need to be added into the list of test tracks.

Or different kind of bass:

Also perfect for it, what amazing voice. And yeah Serial does it perfect.

Just having fun with this album from Tzusing with Serial, very different music. That bass at start of track 5 :D

And whole album

1686512680883.png

Jun 11, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #9,817 of 13,742

Love him, I’ve every Nenad’s album.
I’d suggest something different but great too

https://tidal.com/album/63185291

IMG_6320.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #9,818 of 13,742
Jun 11, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #9,819 of 13,742
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #9,820 of 13,742
- My 300th post, and it's a duplicate post :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #9,821 of 13,742
Sweet. And really sweet on the Serial. Digging it. Not many IEMs can traverse electronica and nail instrument timbre like this.
Penon Serial is special, can never see myself selling it. Just nails so much music, if it's instrumental or heavy computer generated.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #9,822 of 13,742
~around 50 hours.
This may not be applicable to all or something you should believe in, but most people here do it.

I don't have Fan2 but I have the Serial, 10th, and Volt. I can at least share my experience with Volt. After 500 hours (yeah, it's very long) of straight burn-in, there's a substantial change on the sound. And of course it's a good one. There are subtle changes from 50 hours to 200 hours and 300 hours. What's funny is, when I heard the changes around 200 hours, it's already good, however, when it reached the 300 hours mark, the highs suddenly sounded dull and muted (which never happened to others I guess). I was actually got anxious and surprised but I keep on going. After hitting 500 hours, I'm very happy that it changed again and now my Volt sounds beautiful.

I'm not good at technical stuff or science about burn in, but a good friend of mine tried to explain it to me (I didn't understand the whole thing of course, lol). But from what I understand, if an IEM has a dynamic driver, you need at least 200 hours to hear the final sound. And 500 hours for EST and Planars.

The only reason why I believe in burn in is because I used to buy a lot of earbuds and budget level IEMs (which most of the time are Dynamic Drivers) when I was starting and I developed a habit of listening to those units for 30 mins to 1 hour to memorize its sound and I will leave it to my burner DAP for 200 hours straight. And I always here changes afterwards, some are drastic and some are subtle, but it's always better.

So take your time and burn Fan2 further, probably 150 hours more. Hopefully it'll be acceptable to your preference.

Happy listening!

Jun 11, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #9,823 of 13,742
Penon Serial is special, can never see myself selling it. Just nails so much music, if it's instrumental or heavy computer generated.
There's just nothing wrong with serial, especially on the right cable (still working on that)!!! Serial, at such a great price point, can go anywhere with me, even the beach, possibly. It's nice to not worry so much...i read another poor dude lost an Xe6 hiking. While I would be pretty upset, it would hurt a lot less with serial.

Jun 11, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #9,824 of 13,742
It’s also much harder to distinguish the true sound profile of a $2000 to $4000 IEM out and about, making their value walking or better yet hiking questionable. Were a moderately priced IEM goes and provides adequate sound quality (better and noticeable than a $20 IEM) outside, making an IEM like the Serial really the choice, IMO. Also the sound profile (being thicker) helps down-out the exterior ambiance sonically, much better than say a treble centric player!
There's just nothing wrong with serial, especially on the right cable (still working on that)!!! Serial, at such a great price point, can go anywhere with me, even the beach, possibly. It's nice to not worry so much...i read another poor dude lost an Xe6 hiking. While I would be pretty upset, it would hurt a lot less with serial.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #9,825 of 13,742
This may not be applicable to all or something you should believe in, but most people here do it.

I don't have Fan2 but I have the Serial, 10th, and Volt. I can at least share my experience with Volt. After 500 hours (yeah, it's very long) of straight burn-in, there's a substantial change on the sound. And of course it's a good one. There are subtle changes from 50 hours to 200 hours and 300 hours. What's funny is, when I heard the changes around 200 hours, it's already good, however, when it reached the 300 hours mark, the highs suddenly sounded dull and muted (which never happened to others I guess). I was actually got anxious and surprised but I keep on going. After hitting 500 hours, I'm very happy that it changed again and now my Volt sounds beautiful.

I'm not good at technical stuff or science about burn in, but a good friend of mine tried to explain it to me (I didn't understand the whole thing of course, lol). But from what I understand, if an IEM has a dynamic driver, you need at least 200 hours to hear the final sound. And 500 hours for EST and Planars.

The only reason why I believe in burn in is because I used to buy a lot of earbuds and budget level IEMs (which most of the time are Dynamic Drivers) when I was starting and I developed a habit of listening to those units for 30 mins to 1 hour to memorize its sound and I will leave it to my burner DAP for 200 hours straight. And I always here changes afterwards, some are drastic and some are subtle, but it's always better.

So take your time and burn Fan2 further, probably 150 hours more. Hopefully it'll be acceptable to your preference.

Happy listening!

Can I politely ask, how do you remember what the IEM sounded like 500 hours ago to judge if there is any difference.

Running all day and night constantly that is 21 days. I would struggle to remember specific details of sound 21 minutes later let alone 21 days.

This isn't coming from a complete burn in disbeliever, I think I have heard changes with some sets but frankly I am not sure it is IEM burn in, brain burn in or simply different perception on a different day which I know for certain happens.

I don't want to start a burn in argument, but I am interested in how you determine there was substantial change a minimum of 21 days later, possibly longer if the burn in wasn't continuous. Very precise notes, recording the sound and comparing ???

I don't know why somebody with the right gear doesn't record an IEM when new then say 500 hours old and use software to analyses the difference, that can't be hard with the right gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back