The PENON official thread
Jun 10, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #9,781 of 13,966
... Its funny because it was a free throw in when one purchased a Meaoes Eagles which is the new trademark of HiFiBoy, which is a good set in itself.
Same here :wink:

Jun 10, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #9,782 of 13,966
Funny I sold the Fan2, didnt care for it at all, sounded weired in a strange way... very colored...
Man an iem doesn’t sound alone consider source matching also!
FAN2 sounds different with different sources

Jun 10, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #9,783 of 13,966
HiFiBoy OSV3 was way head of its time when it was released in late 2017, early 2018. Its funny because it was a free throw in when one purchased a Meaoes Eagles which is the new trademark of HiFiBoy, which is a good set in itself.

DSC_0024.jpeg124231463.jpeg
Oh, very interesting. Good to know they rebranded and still exist, hopefully still making good IEMs.

OS V3 is very surprising for how good it is. Can't believe it came out 5-6 years ago at that price. Must've been one of the best sets one could buy at that price range at that time.

Jun 10, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #9,784 of 13,966
HiFiBoy OSV3 was way head of its time when it was released in late 2017, early 2018. Its funny because it was a free throw in when one purchased a Meaoes Eagles which is the new trademark of HiFiBoy, which is a good set in itself.

^^^^^^^^^ If you use my pictures at least give me credit, or link to the review next time. Thank-you.

Amazingly regular DAPs are much larger than the PENON TAIL?

DSC_0002.jpeg12.jpeg

Bass was an unexpected arrival.

DSC_0024.jpeg12.jpeg
DSC_0028.jpegqwe.jpeg
DSC_0029.jpeg12.jpeg

Probably the name asks for some style of ostentatious Bass playback? When so far it's vary clear and slightly warm. I need to spend a few days more as I have been listening to heavy bass IEMs and need to reacclimatize my listening standards. But so far the Bass Cable is wonderfully balanced and clear with a transparent personality and a clean low-end. I have had it less than a few hours, so what do I know?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #9,785 of 13,966
Burn in is real!!!

6 days into listening to my 10th. About 20+ hrs of running.

Bass is tight, fast. Love it! 1st time when i plugged it in, i was overwhelmed by the bass. Mid opens out, vocal is more focus, less mellow. High shines thru and became clearer. Good dynamics, low volume recorded highs can be heard clearly without need to concentrate hard to hear it. My M11+ ess is a tad warm, but i tried it on my workplace AK, forgot which model, the one selling for $2k, it sounded better, more rounded, but heck, that DAP is expensive! 😝

Most important, comfort fit, altho nozzle is kinda big, some of my tips doesnt fit 🤣 And NO driver flex, the suspension system works very well, it pushes/pulled the excess pressure fast!

Jun 10, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #9,786 of 13,966
^^^^^^^^^ If you use my pictures at least give me credit, or link to the review next time. Thank-you.

Amazingly the Tail is dwarfed by the size of regular DAPs!

DSC_0002.jpeg12.jpeg

DSC_0024.jpeg12.jpegDSC_0028.jpegqwe.jpegDSC_0029.jpeg12.jpeg
Probably the name asks for some style of ostentatious Bass playback? When so far it's vary clear and slightly warm. I need to spend a few days more as I have been listening to heavy bass IEMs and need to reacclimatize my listening standards. But so far the Bass Cable is wonderfully balanced and clear with a transparent personality and a clean low-end. I have had it less than a few hours, so what do I know?
Post adjusted. I feel the need to go back to these older releases to see how the hold up and now that I have more IEM experience.

Cannot wait to get my bass cable. If its like a pure copper cable this may end up being my go to for that warmth, full bodied sound

Jun 11, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #9,787 of 13,966

Amazingly the Tail is dwarfed by the size of regular DAPs!

Looking forward to your thoughts on those two ostentatious toys!

On the topic of older releases, this is a must have for serious Penon fans! Their very first and all the way from 2017 if I recalled correctly.

97E397BC-4334-4B37-897A-171C408F6DBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #9,788 of 13,966
Hi guys,
I am looking for a comparison between Penon IEMs. Interested from best to worst: Bass texture and speed, mids quality, upper-mids smoothness.
How big is the price return for Penon IEMs? 10th is at least 50% better than FAN2 in sound quality, or should I expect the exact mids and bass quality but somewhat a different tuning?

Jun 11, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #9,789 of 13,966
Hi guys,
I am looking for a comparison between Penon IEMs. Interested from best to worst: Bass texture and speed, mids quality, upper-mids smoothness.
How big is the price return for Penon IEMs? 10th is at least 50% better than FAN2 in sound quality, or should I expect the exact mids and bass quality but somewhat a different tuning?
Hey. Sound improvement can never be measured, value of sound per $ goes drastically down the higher the cost. Its always about just finding sets that do small parts better than other releases, almost no set is 100% perfect.

I do not own the 10th, decided to skip it.
So for the FAN 2 and 10th, different tuning and most likely higher resolution. If its worth the step up in price is up to you. You can expect more energy in both the bass, mids and treble when you look at the measurements.
graph (21).png

Jun 11, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #9,790 of 13,966
Hey. Sound improvement can never be measured, value of sound per $ goes drastically down the higher the cost. Its always about just finding sets that do small parts better than other releases, almost no set is 100% perfect.

So for the FAN 2 and 10th, different tuning and most likely higher resolution. If its worth the step up in price is up to you. You can expect more energy in both the bass, mids and treble when you look at the measurements.
graph (21).png
Yep, I see that they have slight differences in tuning. I want to know how big is the difference in the sound quality between them in mids and the bass since both use the same driver configuration, except for ultra-high frequency? They definitely may be in the different Knowles and Sonion drivers. Penon did not specify which BA model was used.
While I still burn in my FAN 2, the bass quality is increasing. However, I'm somewhat disappointed in the mids quality.

Jun 11, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #9,792 of 13,966
@shez.
I did do a few tests and yet don’t have any substantial answers, as I have had the TAIL less than 24 hours. But it gets just slightly warm, almost that you can’t tell, at least here in the world it stays just a hair warmer than room temperature, both in 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm single ended. I have used the 7Hz Salnotes Zero, the Noble Audio Kaiser 10 Encore and the Penon Volt. Still I very much believe in burn-in for electrical components, so don’t want to comment on sound just yet. I did notice a slight decline in battery after an hour, but I need to do more definitive tests. Though I will say it’s plug and play, simply hook-up and go.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #9,793 of 13,966
Hi guys,

+100

To me, a discernible improvement in one small area of sound quality can make the difference between a keeper and an iem that I would not even buy. Also, there are aspects that matter a lot to me that maybe aren’t a big deal to other people, for instance, coherency and timbre.

But anyway…

Bass texture: Vortex. 10th isn’t half bad either.

Bass speed: Impact, I guess. Or anything with BA bass. Though if you’re looking for raw speed, keep in mind that all Penon IEMs are tuned with a realistic amount of decay. I know of no Penon IEM that is unnaturally fast and they simply do not do sheer bass speed at the expense of timbre.

Mids: All Penon IEMs are to some extent tuned around the mids. Best mids go to the Volt (lushest and richest) and Impact (best layering).

At the other end, you have the relatively flatter or more neutral ones like Serial and then the Fan 2, which is not really flat by most other people’s standards but the “flattest” that Penon will go.

Upper mids smoothness: Most of the Penon IEMs are tuned to be quite unfatiguing in the upper mids/lower treble - think along the likes of Volt, Serial and Orb.

I want to know how big is the difference in the sound quality between them in mids and the bass since both use the same driver configuration

They can have the same or similar driver configuration yet be tuned very differently. You only have to refer to the part of this thread just before the 10th was released, when people were so sure that the 10th would have similar bass performance to the F2 because they use the same drivers - only for the 10th to turn out to be something of a sub bass monster.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #9,794 of 13,966
+100

To me, a discernible improvement in one small area of sound quality can make the difference between a keeper and an iem that I would not even buy. Also, there are aspects that matter a lot to me that maybe aren’t a big deal to other people, for instance, coherency and timbre.

But anyway…

Bass texture: Vortex. 10th isn’t half bad either.

Bass speed: Impact, I guess. Or anything with BA bass. Though if you’re looking for raw speed, keep in mind that all Penon IEMs are tuned with a realistic amount of decay. I know of no Penon IEM that is unnaturally fast and they simply do not do sheer bass speed at the expense of timbre.

Mids: All Penon IEMs are to some extent tuned around the mids. Best mids go to the Volt (lushest and richest) and Impact (best layering).

At the other end, you have the relatively flatter or more neutral ones like Serial and then the Fan 2, which is not really flat by most other people’s standards but the “flattest” that Penon will go.

Upper mids smoothness: Most of the Penon IEMs are tuned to be quite unfatiguing in the upper mids/lower treble - think along the likes of Volt, Serial and Orb.

They can have the same or similar driver configuration yet be tuned very differently. You only have to refer to the part of this thread just before the 10th was released, when people were so sure that the 10th would have similar bass performance to the F2 because they use the same drivers - only for the 10th to turn out to be something of a sub bass monster.

+1000

You beat me to it.

Very well articulated as always!

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #9,795 of 13,966
Hey guys

You all know that great feeling when you pair your favorite IEM with some great sounding cable or amp, right?
Sometimes the synergy is just so great that it simply exceeds your expectations.

I am just having the same feeling when I pair my Serial with some really great sounding music.
Not sure if you guys into 80s / synth stuff music but I love it.

Same goes for some trully iconic soundtracks from the 80s the sound is very addictive, at least for me.
I guess the era of first electronic sound and synthesizers still sounds amazing these days...
Those tunes, melodies, full of memories perhaps only people living in 80s would fully understand.

If you are not yet into 80s sound already it is the right time to give it a try.

Have a great weekend guys and happy listening :)

1686341130240.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back