The PENON official thread
Jun 10, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #9,766 of 13,807
I just wanted to throw up my first impressions on ISN Audio newest IEM, Neo 5.

Accessories are plentiful. Black and green stem are the recomended ear tips and the ISN S8 Silver cable pairs well.

Comfort wise, I was told it was designed with the Penon Globe in mind and it stands out. Construction is lightweight and easy in the ears for those long listening sessions.

Source:
Samsung Note 20 Ultra
Penon Tail DAC/Dongle
Venture Electronics OHD

Neo 5 has more than 150+ hours of burn in.

As for the sound, it has that ISN DNA but this tuning is new. Penon decided to add more to the mids and treble using 4 Knowles for the mids & highs. As a result there is a more details up top and it doesn't sound as dark.

What surprised me is how slightly forward the vocals are; it sounded similar to the AüR Audio Aure. Is it an Aure? No, due to the way the bass is tuned. But the mids are great especially male vocals as they got weight to them and female vocals sound natural.

And we know ISN loves to tune the subbass to have rumble and punch. And we have it here in droves. Texture, quality, slow decay, its all here with the single 10mm DD.

The only issue I had with this set depending on the tracks, the bass could be overwhelming but then again it's ISN. Thats the way it's tuned. All about that bass. And if one loves a musically warm sounding set with slightly forward vocals, this one be the one to get.

They haven't decided on price yet but these can compete with similar driver configurations.

Up close shots.

I like to use comparisons because its easier to describe how an IEM sounds relative to another one. So I'll compare 2 popular 4+1, Sound Rhyme SR5 & Juzear 41T.

Bass: Neo5 > SR5 > 41T
Mids: Neo5 > SR5 > 41T
Treble: SR5 > Neo5 > 41T
Dark to Bright: 41T > Neo5 > SR5
Technicalities: SR5 > Neo5 > 41T
Comfort: Neo5 > 41T > SR5
Accessories: Neo5 > 41T > SR5
Tonality / Timbre: Neo5 / 41T / SR5

Musical / Neutral / Analytical
Neo 5 / 41T / SR5

Neo 5 = L
41T = flat
SR5 = W

This is a wonderful new option from Penon. The new direction ISN is going with its tuning for the newest line, I think people will enjoy it.

10th AE and now Neo 5. Penon is on a roll...I cannot wait to see what else they have in store.
Great comparisons and descriptions! Really the ISN thread may be another place to copy these descriptions to. :)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #9,767 of 13,807
Speaking of music. What kind of music do you like most to listen to with FAN 2? 🤔
Did anyone find the particular tracks that sound only special on FAN 2? 🤔
I have yet to find anything that sounds bad on Fan 2, absolutely fantastic IEMs. They are probably worst with classical due to slight treble recession, but still sound very nice. I particularly enjoy contemporary jazz on Fan 2, like Brian Bromberg or Pat Metheny.

Jun 10, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #9,768 of 13,807
I have yet to find anything that sounds bad on Fan 2, absolutely fantastic IEMs. They are probably worst with classical due to slight treble recession, but still sound very nice. I particularly enjoy contemporary jazz on Fan 2, like Brian Bromberg or Pat Metheny.

Me either, my friend. :raised_hands:
Fan 2 can handle everything, but still burn in mine, can't judge yet. :sweat_smile:
I like contemporary jazz. However, I like listening to them with even more analog-sounding IEMs like VE SiE.

... So far, enjoying listening to House music with Fan 2. :)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #9,769 of 13,807
Price to be announced........soon.
Screen Shot 2023-06-10 at 7.20.06 PM.png

Jun 10, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #9,770 of 13,807
New toys arrived...
1000040750.jpg

Just give the Tail a run with my Testtracks list
1000040751.jpg

and the first impression is even better than expected.

Use the Tail with my 10th and the new silver palladium cable shown in the picture. This combo produces a neutral and clear sound with a nice, very natural timbre especially with classical and Jazz.

Really great imo considering that this setup can be had for no more than 650 Euro (plus a phone oc....) Ready for summer holiday now :)

Jun 10, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #9,771 of 13,807
Jun 10, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #9,773 of 13,807
An actual discovery (for me)...

Penon sent me this with the 10th AE 2 weeks ago.

HiFi Boy Case.jpg

I looked inside to find a cheap-looking IEM and didn't think about listening to them because I thought it was a crappy free IEM that I didn't order nor pay for. It just arrived in the same box as the 10th AE, which I was very excited to listen to. I picked the IEM case option for the free gift and thought they just added a free IEM with the case. The default cable was cheap-looking and cheap-feeling, so I just put it aside for 2 weeks.

Fast forward to this morning, I decided to try this IEM out. Stock cable, stock tips, it sounded... GOOD! I was surprised by how good they sounded, but it was missing bass and sounded thin. Really good though for a free IEM. So I did a bit of research to find out more about it. Found out this IEM got a bit of hype back around 4-5 years ago. Looked for it on Penon's website. It's $150 and a 1 DD, 2 BA set! WHAT???

Penon gave me a free $150 IEM with the 10th AE purchase? No way! 10th AE was already a bargain for its sound quality and performance, but they also included a $150 IEM too? Wow!

I then decided to switch the crappy cable for a cheap but not crappy cable: the NiceHCK PurpleSE 4.4mm balanced, and slapped on some JVC Spiral Dot tips. I wanted more bass presence and thought maybe this cable would bring it out. OMG it sure did! The PurpleSE unleashed this IEM's potential. Everything opened up, improved, and it now has good bass and slam. I was shocked. Not sure if it's the cable or the switch from 3.5mm to 4.4mm, but what an incredible and drastic change in sound quality.

HiFi Boy OS V3.jpg

I was sad to learn this company HiFi Boy disappeared after releasing a few IEMs. If they had stuck around, maybe they could've been a big player in the booming chi-fi market. They were ahead of their time lol.

Anyway, just wanted to share this incredible discovery. This is such a good IEM that's been forgotten about and never talked about anymore. Penon just included it with an order. Thank you so much @Penon . They sure know how to make their customers happy. I can see why they have a dedicated group of fans. I'm now one of them!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #9,774 of 13,807
ISN has more of it, while the Aure is better balanced with the right amount.

If scaled where 1 is no bass, and 10 is all bass, the Aure would be 5 on the scale & Neo5 is 7.
Very curious to see FR comparison with her big sister 🤭

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #9,775 of 13,807

Funny I sold the Fan2, didnt care for it at all, sounded weired in a strange way... very colored...

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #9,778 of 13,807
PXL_20230610_184335969.jpg

Here is my Penon Family... Pennon Fan 2, Sound Rhyme SR1 and ISN H40... These three have satisfied me so far, but there are new challengers on the horizon. Honestly, I'm in love with the Penon/ISN house sound and I don't think I will stray. (The amp in the back is ifi Go Blu, love the thing too, has really good synergy with these IEMs)

Jun 10, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #9,779 of 13,807

HiFi Boy Case.jpg

I looked inside to find a cheap-looking IEM and didn't think about listening to them because I thought it was a crappy free IEM that I didn't order nor pay for. It just arrived in the same box as the 10th AE, which I was very excited to listen to. I picked the IEM case option for the free gift and thought they just added a free IEM with the case. The default cable was cheap-looking and cheap-feeling, so I just put it aside for 2 weeks.

Fast forward to this morning, I decided to try this IEM out. Stock cable, stock tips, it sounded... GOOD! I was surprised by how good they sounded, but it was missing bass and sounded thin. Really good though for a free IEM. So I did a bit of research to find out more about it. Found out this IEM got a bit of hype back around 4-5 years ago. Looked for it on Penon's website. It's $150 and a 1 DD, 2 BA set! WHAT???

Penon gave me a free $150 IEM with the 10th AE purchase? No way! 10th AE was already a bargain for its sound quality and performance, but they also included a $150 IEM too? Wow!

I then decided to switch the crappy cable for a cheap but not crappy cable: the NiceHCK PurpleSE 4.4mm balanced, and slapped on some JVC Spiral Dot tips. I wanted more bass presence and thought maybe this cable would bring it out. OMG it sure did! The PurpleSE unleashed this IEM's potential. Everything opened up, improved, and it now has good bass and slam. I was shocked. Not sure if it's the cable or the switch from 3.5mm to 4.4mm, but what an incredible and drastic change in sound quality.

HiFi Boy OS V3.jpg

I was sad to learn this company HiFi Boy disappeared after releasing a few IEMs. If they had stuck around, maybe they could've been a big player in the booming chi-fi market. They were ahead of their time lol.

Anyway, just wanted to share this incredible discovery. This is such a good IEM that's been forgotten about and never talked about anymore. Penon just included it with an order. Thank you so much @Penon . They sure know how to make their customers happy. I can see why they have a dedicated group of fans. I'm now one of them!
I agree with you
I was surprised how hifiboy osv3 sound good with an upgrade cable.

Jun 10, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #9,780 of 13,807

I agree with you
I was surprised how hifiboy osv3 sound good with an upgrade cable.

HiFiBoy OSV3 was way head of its time when it was released in late 2017, early 2018. Its funny because it was a free throw in when one purchased a Meaoes Eagles which is the new trademark of HiFiBoy, which is a good set in itself.

DSC_0024.jpeg124231463.jpeg

Photo credit: @Redcarmoose
His Review

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back