The PENON official thread
Jun 8, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #9,736 of 13,769
Hey guys,
anybody can compare Yanyin Moonlight vs Penon 10th?
Looking for some solid tribrids to extend my collection.
Thanks.

Jun 8, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #9,737 of 13,769
Hey guys,
anybody can compare Yanyin Moonlight vs Penon 10th?
Looking for some solid tribrids to extend my collection.
Thanks.
Different in tunings. Moonlight is a safe smooth fluid listen one of its strong suits is just how cohesive the sound is. Its a romantic type of sound with a balanced focused sound more leaning towards its mids character which give it that fluid sound capability. Technicalities, stage, timbre, instrument separation and details is one of the best for its price class but for folks that listen to more bass driven music might not find the tuning on the moonlights to be all that exciting.

The 10th is also balanced well but has more focus on its bass and trebles. So you can say it is almost the opposite of the moonlights. I want to say the 10th due to how it is tuned has a slight edge in stage but moonlights hang in there for stage easily because of its more forward mids focus it will not sound quite as wide as the 10th.

If you take a premium to mids, instruments and vocals that is where the moonlights truly shine. The 10th however has a bit more energy coming from its bass and trebles. Mids sound natural here as well but is not as mids focused as the moonlights.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #9,739 of 13,769
This looks sweet. I'll probably have to snag a shirt at least. During checkout it asks if I have a promo code. Any idea if there are any that work with this site? Thanks!
Sorry no?

Jun 8, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #9,740 of 13,769
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #9,741 of 13,769
Different in tunings. Moonlight is a safe smooth fluid listen one of its strong suits is just how cohesive the sound is. Its a romantic type of sound with a balanced focused sound more leaning towards its mids character which give it that fluid sound capability. Technicalities, stage, timbre, instrument separation and details is one of the best for its price class but for folks that listen to more bass driven music might not find the tuning on the moonlights to be all that exciting.

The 10th is also balanced well but has more focus on its bass and trebles. So you can say it is almost the opposite of the moonlights. I want to say the 10th due to how it is tuned has a slight edge in stage but moonlights hang in there for stage easily because of its more forward mids focus it will not sound quite as wide as the 10th.

If you take a premium to mids, instruments and vocals that is where the moonlights truly shine. The 10th however has a bit more energy coming from its bass and trebles. Mids sound natural here as well but is not as mids focused as the moonlights.

Thanks a lot, exactly what I was looking for !!!

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #9,742 of 13,769
Short answer is Yes, Timbre is 100% on the Volts
But if I may, The 10th is ALSO a direct upgrade on the Globe, portable, direct to phone is more than acceptable.
On most good albums iTunes or Tidal Masters, you Can experience holographic imaging, open boundless sound @ more than a half of the Volts timbre qualities.
No powerful amping required.

Yes, a Dap or a smartphone on a fairly powerful dongle is recommended.
At best when the Volts are played direct to phone will give you Musician Monitor style (Nearfield) sound field

The Globe is a great set, for mobile use.
Neutral Mids, Mid bass emphasis, decent detailed trebles. Monitor style (Nearfield) staging. I use this set everyday

:beerchug:

Penon Globe 2BA + Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm HiFi Audiophile IEM
Description

2BA+Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm Detachable Audiophile IEMS
The use of medical grade resin material, light and beautiful, comfortable to wear, no strange feeling in contact with the skin.
Made by hand, the earphone shell is solid and more durable.

Specification
Driver: 2BA + 10mm dynamic
Balanced armature: Knowles high frequency, Sonion middles frequency
Dynamic driver : 10mm Bass
Frequency reponse:20Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 10ohm@1khz
Sensitivity: 116db@1khz@1mw
Connector: 2Pin 0.78mm
Cable length: 1.2M

Penon VOLT Flagship 4 Electrostatic+ 2BA + Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm HiFi Audiophile In-ear Monitor
Specification

Driver: Sonion 4 electrostatic + Sonion 2 Balanced Armature + 10mm dynamic driver
Impedance: 12ohm@1khz
Sensitivity: 114db@1khz@1mw
Frequency response 15-80Khz
Connector:2pin 0.78mm
Plug:2.5mm balanced
Cable: single crystal copper silver-plated
Length: 1.2m

The Volt has more organic midrange sensibilities being the Volts mids are the overall star of the show. Where the Globe is using the Knowles BA for treble which while clear has a tinge of BA timbre, the focus is there with this single Knowles and maybe for some too forward when combined with the Globe Sonion single BA mids? The Volt 4 EST drivers for highs come-off more refined and polished yet there is a slight lower treble diminishment where (possibly) the ESTs start to fall short of their evenness in lower treble. Where the Volt midrange is comprised of 2 Sonion BAs, there positioning is also almost focused by the rest of the sound elements (think showcased) by bass and treble in the Volt. The Volt has better overall timbre but the Globe is still wonderful, I ended getting better sound results changing to the OSG cable with the Globe…….allowing for a more refined sound. If the OSG is worth the extra $299.00 above the Globe price would maybe only be a personal value if worth it. But the OSG makes the Globe for me?

https://penonaudio.com/penon-osg.html

Where the Volt is simply more forgiving and fully well-mannered going with all styles of music and all audio equipment. The Volt is the most balanced IEM I've ever heard. Also the included Volt cable is also really something! But probably for most the two IEMs are going to boil down to your timbre expectations? Where the Volt is simply more organic and the Globe slightly metallic, but only slightly, and almost perfect with the OSG cable. I don’t know why I view the OSG as affecting timbre but I really do! The OSG cable also clears up the bass focus and adds bass-texture details. But generally the Volt imaging is better separated (and layered) and gives a flagship dose of involvement, really with any source combo, where I was able to get to a great place with the Globe, but it took slightly more work, therefor maybe..........possibly the Globe is more finicky? But I love them both! Haven’t heard the 10th Anniversary?

Where the Globe bass is a little out of focus the OSG trims it, and texturizes it. Where the Volt bass to me is just perfect? Though really bass is going to be a personal value to where for some they could need more bass than the Volt does, yet to me it's tight, fast........and correct? Both fit wonderfully. Both Globe and Volt do well from a phone, but will scale-up with a DAP or desktop IMO.

Part of my perception issues are I only recently got the Volt so it is still the honeymoon phase where I also received the Globe this year but a few months back. So I'm more surprised just how I was able to tailor the Globe's sound with the OSG cable, where the Volt is seemingly more easy going yet still totally entertaining from the stock cable. The Globe has the demeanor to be slightly fussy in replay, that while totally clear, is not as well rounded of a player in the end........just my opinion.

The Volt sound is bigger and holds more detail and romance, so I guess it is (to me) a definite upgrade from the Globe?

The word upgrade can be highly subjective sometimes. But if you are after timbre accuracy, the Volt should be your pick. Both plays well with all levels of equipment you throw at it but scale it will with higher end devices.

Another factor of a decider apart from price would be the size of their respective shells. Globe is wonderfully compact with the benefit of housing just three drivers whereas Volt had to cramp seven all in. Volt is definitely on a larger side scale of things, to me at least.

To my understanding, the pinnings of both DDs are largely similar specifications wise. What separates them both are their state of tuning. Globe can be considered quite visceral as compared to Volt’s more refined approach. Both also has near equal distribution of sub and mid bass but tilt a little more towards the latter.

Now finally in answering your first question :sweat_smile: imho Volt should be a closer upgrade to the Orb - the OG of first generation house sound.

Edit to add:
Basing on trusted information on here (@ehjie experience included) I incline to believe that the 10th would be much closer of an upgrade to Globe.

Maybe if you after the Volt, you need to consider AüR Audio neon pro..

Thank you so much for everyone who helped with this! I managed to get the Volt and it's with me now... it's simply GLORIOUS, the mids are bringing me to tears. I get why everyone is instantly a penon fan now haha. Really surprised that Penon isn't one of the mainstream heavy hitters, they really should be especially with this pricing.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #9,743 of 13,769
Thank you so much for everyone who helped with this! I managed to get the Volt and it's with me now... it's simply GLORIOUS, the mids are bringing me to tears. I get why everyone is instantly a penon fan now haha. Really surprised that Penon isn't one of the mainstream heavy hitters, they really should be especially with this pricing.
Congratulations 🎊 enjoy the music!

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #9,744 of 13,769
BAD6E271-65A1-4B38-BE6E-5ABF51F2B6A1.gif

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #9,745 of 13,769
Penon shirts.
B173E0A2-7F41-41C7-A3C1-F896A09CB2C7.jpeg

Jun 8, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #9,746 of 13,769

The beginning of more to come! There‘s much to explore in the Penon verses. Welcome to the fold @cadences ! On the contrary I’d like Penon to remained boutique. I’m selfish that way 😈

Penon shirts.
B173E0A2-7F41-41C7-A3C1-F896A09CB2C7.jpeg

If it ain’t navy or citrus it ain’t Penon. Lol

3D329DC8-8A77-42E8-BBDF-113EEE775F49.jpeg

Jun 8, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #9,747 of 13,769
This looks sweet. I'll probably have to snag a shirt at least. During checkout it asks if I have a promo code. Any idea if there are any that work with this site? Thanks!
These products are not authorized by us, please be more careful when ordering.

PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Jun 8, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #9,748 of 13,769
Jun 8, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #9,749 of 13,769
These products are not authorized by us, please be more careful when ordering.
I probably won't order it then. Don't want to take a chance and only want to get through official channels to make sure my money is going to Penon.
BTW, you guys should sell items like this because I [WE???] would buy them!

Jun 9, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #9,750 of 13,769
This is a pretty wide range. Factor 2. Definitely below USD 300.- IMO, based on the actual IEM market, tough competition, overall price level and fast growing second-hand market with many IEMs sent to reviewers for free or blind buyers full of remorse.
I guess 255$ for Neo5 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back