The PENON official thread
Jun 5, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #9,631 of 14,142
My turn!

Using it with the free anniversary gift cable, seems to sound better than stock cable to me

What cable is that? Are there any markings on the hardware to identify it?

After more than 80 hours of burning, with cs819 cable and tips JVC spiral dots, treble became more detailled.
It's my first iem with EST and I must admit I like it.

It’s addictive. After hearing well implemented EST treble, I have serious difficulty going back now - any lack of upper treble air and overtones have become so easy to nitpick.

In other news, I’m appallingly late to this party but I finally tried the Obsidian on the 10th. I believe this was one of @Dsnuts recommendation if I’m not mistaken.

IMG_6454.jpeg

All I can say to Impact owners is, don’t sleep on that stock Obsidian. It may not be the best for showing off the Impact’s considerable abilities but it doesn’t mean it isn’t good for other monitors. Coming from the PW10, which I’d been using a while, vocals are richer which balances out the top and bottom ends, the background is noticably darker and notes are less bloomy. I like.

Such a looker too. Love the subtle flecks of gold on off-white.

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #9,632 of 14,142
Cross posting from Watercooler thread my joy at combining Indigo with Leo Plus:

Today, having listened to the new Penon 10th AE for a week straight, I felt like switching it up. TLDR there is that for $500 you have a real competitor to Z1R, CA F5, even Indigo. It's a steal and I can't recommend it enough. I'm sure it'll be back in my ears shortly.

So decided to take the Indigo out and off the PW FT (which is all too easy, unfortunately, with all my PW cables, including the stock, and my Indigo) to see how it worked with the more exotic but far less expensive Penon Leo Plus, with gold, silver and palladium alloy in a small, supple 8w braid.

And thankfully, the pins fit snug and won't fall out like they do with the FT. The same cannot be said for the multi plug that comes with Leo Plus...these things are convenient but the pins are really shallow and can disconnect with a slight pull. But the sound itself is at the very best I've heard from my Indigo!!! I would love to try out a Cleo Octa, but at $1600, that's not happening anytime soon, and for $250, the Leo Plus is blowing my socks off!

Also, wanted to try out UMs new silicone tips!
20230530_182410.jpg

There are 2 different flavors. The flowered edge tip gave maximum insertion and isolation, deeper than AZLA tips which may boost the BCD effects. To my ears, these are now staying in my Indigo, wonderful, perfect tips for it from UM themselves.

In the meantime, Indigo has also found its new cable in my collection with Leo Plus. The sound and ergonomics certainly outdo my FT for this IEM. The cable itself is softer and more pliable, though being an 8w compared to FT 4w. It's a huge sound with satisfying bass and soundstage. I might send it back to @Penon to get a permanent 4.4mm plug or figure out a way to more securely keep the multi plug from disconnecting.
20230604_143720.jpg

For now, my Indigo is beautiful, secure and well paired with its new tips and cable for the foreseeable future!!! And it remains my top choice of my collection at least for now, and truth be told, this is good enough, endgame performance for me, YMMVAAT.

Happy weekend all!!!

Edit: Leo Plus less microphonics than FT (non shielding)

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #9,633 of 14,142
It's one of many Tips included w/ the Volt.

If so, it would be truly amazing, that after cycling through so many tips in the course of Volt ownership - including ePros, Spirals, various Azlas including regular Sednas, Xelastec, Crystal and Max, and many others I’ve forgotten about - I inadvertently ended back up with one of the stock tips that happened to be lying in the right place at the right time.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #9,634 of 14,142
Cross posting from Watercooler thread my joy at combining Indigo with Leo Plus:

Today, having listened to the new Penon 10th AE for a week straight, I felt like switching it up. TLDR there is that for $500 you have a real competitor to Z1R, CA F5, even Indigo. It's a steal and I can't recommend it enough. I'm sure it'll be back in my ears shortly.

So decided to take the Indigo out and off the PW FT (which is all too easy, unfortunately, with all my PW cables, including the stock, and my Indigo) to see how it worked with the more exotic but far less expensive Penon Leo Plus, with gold, silver and palladium alloy in a small, supple 8w braid.

And thankfully, the pins fit snug and won't fall out like they do with the FT. The same cannot be said for the multi plug that comes with Leo Plus...these things are convenient but the pins are really shallow and can disconnect with a slight pull. But the sound itself is at the very best I've heard from my Indigo!!! I would love to try out a Cleo Octa, but at $1600, that's not happening anytime soon, and for $250, the Leo Plus is blowing my socks off!

Also, wanted to try out UMs new silicone tips!
20230530_182410.jpg

There are 2 different flavors. The flowered edge tip gave maximum insertion and isolation, deeper than AZLA tips which may boost the BCD effects. To my ears, these are now staying in my Indigo, wonderful, perfect tips for it from UM themselves.

In the meantime, Indigo has also found its new cable in my collection with Leo Plus. The sound and ergonomics certainly outdo my FT for this IEM. The cable itself is softer and more pliable, though being an 8w compared to FT 4w. It's a huge sound with satisfying bass and soundstage. I might send it back to @Penon to get a permanent 4.4mm plug or figure out a way to more securely keep the multi plug from disconnecting.
20230604_143720.jpg

For now, my Indigo is beautiful, secure and well paired with its new tips and cable for the foreseeable future!!! And it remains my top choice of my collection at least for now, and truth be told, this is good enough, endgame performance for me, YMMVAAT.

Happy weekend all!!!

Edit: Leo Plus less microphonics than FT (non shielding)
Good idea to go for the purple plug on the Leo Plus, I guess. I liked the fixed termination (which I had chosen thanks to @s2kphile btw.).

Thanks to Penons CS my broken Leo Plus has meanwhile been exchanged and is already on its way back home... :)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #9,635 of 14,142
So, everybody is praising the 10ths these days but I need to post this... the Serial, what a magical set they really are.

Out of box they sounded very good, definitely the old speaker like / vintage feel. But in the same time I thought well its not that special, is it?

Well, have kept listening to them daily for longer time now and I need to say this. They are really growing and improving on daily basis.

Their timbre is improving and more and more details are being revealed. I am about 30 hours in of burning process but already have to say their sound have improved significantly. I have also tried few different cables I have but the stock one is very good pick for them indeed.

I did some EQ on them to raise their highs just slightly and also slightly added a bit of rumble in sub-bass region. This improved their clarity, airness and also authority. Next thing I noticed is that adding more power improves them a lot. Unlike other iems I am using the Serial on middle gain where the rest is fine just on low one (except PR1 Pro these need high gain). Power adds more life into them and they really sound incredible with these two mini upgrades. I cannot really imagine how these are gonig to sound after 200 hours of burning and with some solid cable upgrade (considering ISN G4). Although I do enjoy the other sets I have I am defintely going to use these quite often.

By the way, if somebody like Denon D7200/D9200 these are really the iem version of those.

The only thing I do not like about them is their weight. Its like an empty shell, they are super light.

Would be interesting to see Penon to come up with another multi DD settings in future.
Do you think its possible to create wooden shell for iems?
If yes, then Serial should be the first one to get them to complete the vintage nirvana these are.

Happy Listening :)

magic_serial.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #9,636 of 14,142
So, everybody is praising the 10ths these days but I need to post this... the Serial, what a magical set they really are.

Out of box they sounded very good, definitely the old speaker like / vintage feel. But in the same time I thought well its not that special, is it?

Well, have kept listening to them daily for longer time now and I need to say this. They are really growing and improving on daily basis.

Their timbre is improving and more and more details are being revealed. I am about 30 hours in of burning process but already have to say their sound have improved significantly. I have also tried few different cables I have but the stock one is very good pick for them indeed.

I did some EQ on them to raise their highs just slightly and also slightly added a bit of rumble in sub-bass region. This improved their clarity, airness and also authority. Next thing I noticed is that adding more power improves them a lot. Unlike other iems I am using the Serial on middle gain where the rest is fine just on low one (except PR1 Pro these need high gain). Power adds more life into them and they really sound incredible with these two mini upgrades. I cannot really imagine how these are gonig to sound after 200 hours of burning and with some solid cable upgrade (considering ISN G4). Although I do enjoy the other sets I have I am defintely going to use these quite often.

By the way, if somebody like Denon D7200/D9200 these are really the iem version of those.

The only thing I do not like about them is their weight. Its like an empty shell, they are super light.

Would be interesting to see Penon to come up with another multi DD settings in future.
If yes, then Serial should be the first one to get them to complete the vintage nirvana these are.

If you're into the DENON AH-D 7000, no wonder!

Jun 5, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #9,637 of 14,142

It’s addictive. After hearing well implemented EST treble, I have serious difficulty going back now - any lack of upper treble air and overtones have become so easy to nitpick.

In other news, I’m appallingly late to this party but I finally tried the Obsidian on the 10th. I believe this was one of @Dsnuts recommendation if I’m not mistaken.

IMG_6454.jpeg

All I can say to Impact owners is, don’t sleep on that stock Obsidian. It may not be the best for showing off the Impact’s considerable abilities but it doesn’t mean it isn’t good for other monitors. Coming from the PW10, which I’d been using a while, vocals are richer which balances out the top and bottom ends, the background is noticably darker and notes are less bloomy. I like.

Its to my thought well, EST's provide more details in the treble frequency as opposed to BA's in the treble frequency which is more air and not detailed? I'm talking about the ultra-high frequencies and not the whole spectrum.

Jun 6, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #9,638 of 14,142

IMG_6454.jpeg

Hi, found, it is GD849, model is engraved on the Y splitter. Wow, they gave away a $119 cable for anniversary gift!

I am gonna tip roll later when i have time. Gonna try Spiral Dot on them

Jun 6, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #9,639 of 14,142

magic_serial.jpg
You're the first person that complain about light weight! I had ikko oh10 and every time I tilt or spin the head they came out! Are you sure you want more weight! Besides for the big nozzle I can't push them a lot inside so they are always a little outer for my ears than vortex for example,so if they weight more they four sure would fall often.

I waited 200 hours of burn in before listen serial after I bought it, but the big change in their sound was when I tried ifi gryphon, I immediately sent back fiio btr7 to Amazon ( listened for it just 1 minute to decide. I had found the sound I was looking! Now, my beloved vortex seems.. not so neutral, and I used them only in mobility,at home serial/gryphon is a guilty pleasure, everything sound correct, informative, natural, with natural details never underlined, never forced, your brain make a click and wow you just fall listening and you can't stop and it costs half 10th and 1/3 neon pro, and they are beautiful looking. Orange(or coral? Time is passing and the coral color is becoming... orange is it possible?) tips will help with highs.

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #9,641 of 14,142
Jun 6, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #9,642 of 14,142
Maybe they will make a treble cable next? Of course they don't need to, as there have already been many!

Next comes LIGHT!

Could be Floor filing Bass for the 10th

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #9,643 of 14,142
Bass

Penon-Bass-Cable-700x700.jpg

Penon BASS 2 Shares Copper Silver Alloy + OFC Mixed Braided Audiophile IEM Cable

https://penonaudio.com/penon-bass.html

$79.00

Description

• Red and blue mixed cloth skin
  • Copper silver alloy + oxygen free copper mixed braided IEM cable
  • 2 shares, single share is 20 cores, a total of 2 × 20
  • Single core copper silver alloy diameter is 0.08mm
  • Single core oxygen free copper diameter is 0.06mm
  • Copper and silver alloy contains 75% copper and 25% silver
  • Antioxidant shield is 2.6mm
  • Carbon fiber material plug and splitter
  • MMCX/2Pin 0.78mm connector
  • 3.5mm audio/2.5mm/4.4mm balanced Gold-plated plug
  • Cable length: 1.2M

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #9,644 of 14,142
1686040554086.png

Could be Floor filing Bass for the 10th
Bass

Penon-Bass-Cable-700x700.jpg

Penon BASS 2 Shares Copper Silver Alloy + OFC Mixed Braided Audiophile IEM Cable

https://penonaudio.com/penon-bass.html

$79.00

Description

• Red and blue mixed cloth skin
  • Copper silver alloy + oxygen free copper mixed braided IEM cable
  • 2 shares, single share is 20 cores, a total of 2 × 20
  • Single core copper silver alloy diameter is 0.08mm
  • Single core oxygen free copper diameter is 0.06mm
  • Copper and silver alloy contains 75% copper and 25% silver
  • Antioxidant shield is 2.6mm
  • Carbon fiber material plug and splitter
  • MMCX/2Pin 0.78mm connector
  • 3.5mm audio/2.5mm/4.4mm balanced Gold-plated plug
  • Cable length: 1.2M
Ohh… I love this eccentric looking cable already! Interesting composition too - with 75% copper + 25% silver alloy / OFC shielding that strangely/coincidentally matches (aesthetically speaking) the 10th to a tee!

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #9,645 of 14,142
Ohh… I love this eccentric looking cable already! Interesting composition too - with 75% copper + 25% silver alloy / OFC shielding that strangely/coincidentally matches (aesthetically speaking) the 10th to a tee!
Well, never have we seen such colors? That is a cable that you could recognize 20 feet away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back