The PENON official thread
Apr 20, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #8,506 of 13,835
The Penon Serial is like rich dark chocolate. Very addictive and delicious sound. Just needs a cable change and tips.
ISN EST50 🤭

0C23F52B-7228-498D-94CE-47C53CD2FF05.jpeg

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #8,507 of 13,835
The Penon Serial is like rich dark chocolate. Very addictive and delicious sound. Just needs a cable change and tips.
Exactly 🥰😎👍

Musical, bold, beautiful 😍

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #8,508 of 13,835
Latest Fan 2 set up.

KBear 07 tips and XINHS four wire cable with 4.4mm termination. The white of the tips and the silvery white of the cable compliment the Fan 2 nicely.

Running off ifI Diablo today and they sound excellent.

The Fan 2 took a bit of figuring out with tips but I am very happy with them now, excellent value.

IMG_3756.jpeg

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #8,509 of 13,835
For me no question it is the Impacts. It is the summit fi of Penon tuning and sound. I can argue Penon Legends is the better value IEM over the Impacts. But Impacts mids presentation is something special that no other Penon IEM can match.
I would say Serial with Mix cable for now but have an Impact with Totem cable on the way so that may change my answer shortly :)

I imagine Serial will still hold its own in some respects with all DD analogue timbre and the Mix adds just enough chili pepper into the dark chocolate. Brilliant IEM.

Apr 21, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #8,510 of 13,835
If you could just choose just one Penon IEM set, which one would it be and why?

This question takes into account the fact that very few people had the opportunity to listen to every set Penon has released so far.

Still, what’s your dope within the Penon’s catalog?

Mine are the Serial 🥷. This signature is challenging be replicate in the IEM world, I think. Maybe the CA Trifecta at 10x the price. Fine-tuning the Serial with cable & tips is pretty easy as long as you have a bit of experience and you know what final signature you are looking for.

ps: I owned the Impact and these are true totl sounding earphones with masterful tuning, especially in the mids. For some reason they had to go, but Penon showed their real savoir-faire with them.

78BEE264-51A8-4134-8885-768D293CAA49.jpeg

Impact without doubt. We all know where it stands within the Penon family and I need not rehash everything I’ve already said about it here.

But more crucially, in the bigger headfi-verse, it has also somewhat taken the edge off my wanting the Ronin and other similarly tuned sets considerably above its price point. Not to say the Impact is outright better. But this is the level it’s playing at.

Penon needs to make a new Volt with a silicone dynamic for bass like the EST50s, 4 Sonion BAs for mids and 1BA for trebles with 8ESTs . That is what I want for Christmas.

I second this.

Why only 4BA🤭
I’d sacrifice 2EST for 2BA more 🤭
Large DD + 6BA +6EST but it would cost a lot, maybe around Impact price 🤯

@Dsnuts has heard what the RGB can do with 8ESTs. It’s the one thing that makes me possibly wish I didn’t already have the Impact. In my weaker moments.

I would say Serial with Mix cable for now but have an Impact with Totem cable on the way so that may change my answer shortly :)

I imagine Serial will still hold its own in some respects with all DD analogue timbre and the Mix adds just enough chili pepper into the dark chocolate. Brilliant IEM.

That’s some upgrade!! Enjoy.

Apr 21, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #8,511 of 13,835
Spent some time listening to the Penon Vocal and comparing it to the NiceHCK Black Cat, using Simgot EA500, XL Penon Orange tips. No doubt that the vocals appear further forward than on the Black Cat, but with concentrated listening I think I know why. The Vocal has better defined bass note edges and they are a minutia further back than the Black Cat which has a very small amount of a fuller bass, with the mids slightly further back. So the Penon Vocals, mids are slightly further forwards than the Black Cat. The difference is enough to make vocals sparkle and shine that little extra. The Vocal is the most bling cable I've ever seen....but it is a good cable. Probably around the right price. It does send vocals further forward in the mix, compared to the allegedly 'Oil Soaked' Black Cat copper cable, which has a tad fuller/bigger bass..

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #8,512 of 13,835
@Dsnuts has heard what the RGB can do with 8ESTs. It’s the one thing that makes me possibly wish I didn’t already have the Impact. In my weaker moments.
I know what you mean. I'd love to hear the RGBs and compare them directly to the Impacts.

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #8,515 of 13,835
The Penon 'Bling' Vocal.
Under its snazzy exterior lies a good cable, that does its job, cleverly, by bringing forwards, vocals, guitar, and mids. Pictured with the Penon Serial, Qudelix 5k, 14mm Penon Orange on the left earpiece and a 15mm Penon Orange on the right (There are so many with different size ears). At last we can get true XL tips. The 'Orange' are a good silicone that do have some friction. Soft but keep their shape in ear. Good bass. Notice no ear Guides.....suits my Sony XBA-N3 perfectly.

1682151705019.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #8,516 of 13,835
Looking forward to try Penon Vocal, should arrive start next week.

I have a feel it will be joining EST50 or Serial. I can hope for Serial so I can use my Mix cable on my Aure instead 😁

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #8,517 of 13,835

I have a feel it will be joining EST50 or Serial. I can hope for Serial so I can use my Mix cable on my Aure instead 😁
Do not use the Vocal while walking in the 'Dark Side' of town, especially worse while wearing a 'ROLEX'. The ultimate extroverted bit of 'BLING'. Stay Safe :grinning:

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #8,519 of 13,835
The Penon 'Bling' Vocal.
Under its snazzy exterior lies a good cable, that does its job, cleverly, by bringing forwards, vocals, guitar, and mids. Pictured with the Penon Serial, Qudelix 5k, 14mm Penon Orange on the left earpiece and a 15mm Penon Orange on the right (There are so many with different size ears). At last we can get true XL tips. The 'Orange' are a good silicone that do have some friction. Soft but keep their shape in ear. Good bass. Notice no ear Guides.....suits my Sony XBA-N3 perfectly.

If you have h50 please try on them for me, thanks
Vocal and H50?

It started out good but didn’t end well! The Vocal 100X better with the ISN EST50!

Put the ISN H50 and Penon Vocal Cable together for a bit? Though I have to warn you it was slightly energetic with the Sony 1A, the cure you ask? The deeper and more V Sony WM1Z, but not thick enough?

Not the best I have heard the H50, but there was a funny way you could slowly (maybe) acclimate to it all? Super fast, slightly drawn-in.........that speedy bass becoming lighter. Big glowing soundstage of lights and textures. Big imaging and vibrant.......taking me away. Slight brightness and thinner than I probably want? Slightly thin.....probably! :frowning2:

I have adapters on the way to maybe use the Space, that I would guess would be better?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #8,520 of 13,835
Do not use the Vocal while walking in the 'Dark Side' of town, especially worse while wearing a 'ROLEX'. The ultimate extroverted bit of 'BLING'. Stay Safe :grinning:
Even knowing it will be blingy beforehand, finally holding it in my hands it actually defines 'bling' in a new way, being even blingier than expected, but in a funny way imo :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back