The PENON official thread
Apr 22, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #8,536 of 14,008
Good choices you picked. I know what you are talking about as I do love good bass as well. I also listen a lot of techno, dnb and electro like Aphex Twin and similar. I also look for some tri-brids now also looking for full ba set. But still I would strongly recommend FH9.. they are extremely fast plus that bass.... At least do check them out with the EQ they are killer. For EDM you might also check Xenns Up, ISN EST50... Anyway, if you get the Volt do post your outcome here :) ... Im considering the Legend and would EQ it probably as well
Yeah Aphex Twins are dope you should try out some Bicep they are amazing really unique sound. You are so right also i totally forgot to say the EST50 are on my short list also, it’s SO hard to decide when you start going up into the mid & top-tier because blind buying becomes more worrisome, I just got the 7HZ Legato which after 100hrs burn sound really really good but they only cost me £90 so if i didn’t like them i could probably get back £75 selling them so it would only have cost me £15! When you start getting TOTL the losses become MUCH bigger! I bought MEST MK2 brand new for £1299 and yes I liked them but the light bass,scope in upper mids along with fit issues false me to sell them for £995 so lost over £300!
Due to that I’m much more fussy buying big ticket items now!
Just picked up a iFi Go Blu for a really good price and am hoping that xbass will work great on the new Tri-brid?
Yes i will defo let you know how I get on if I get Volt?
On a different note i heard it through the grapevine Penon might have a new Tri-brid coming out soon? I don’t know how true it is and don’t want to name the person who told me but that’s another reason I’ve been holding out!
Anyway, hope your hunt turns out well and would be really interested to know which one you end up buying?

Apr 22, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #8,537 of 14,008
The Impact’s imaging and sub bass is on full display here tonight.

Have you considered the EST50?

Yes they are my short list also? I know after reading so my reviews & impressions they are VERY good in the bass department and wondered how the bass compares to Volt both quality & quantity?

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #8,538 of 14,008
Penon has always been about their ability to give the user the best mids presentation they can reason why all their IEMs are more musical sounding vs being overly technical. Their cables like the "vocal" even the Totem cable adds a richer coloring to sound that enhances how you hear mids performances with greater technical enhancing ability. This being said, I feel the Impacts has hidden potential for sound expansion and its overall sound balancing with better cable pairings. It will be more a matter of what your preference here is. Using a cable with more silver to enhance its stage and technical foundation seems to skew the sound to be more treble and upper mids focused which I personally feel makes the Impacts sound even more higher end and closer to how the RGB was tuned. Visa versa. Adding a higher end copper cable to the RGB adds that richness with greater note weight and a more forward vocal projection of the RGB to make them sound more closer to that musical foundation of the Impacts.

Thanks very much for the helpful comparison. Do you have any specific alternative cable recommendations for the Impact? Would the Storm be a good match, as it has some silver content?

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #8,539 of 14,008
Yeah Aphex Twins are dope you should try out some Bicep they are amazing really unique sound. You are so right also i totally forgot to say the EST50 are on my short list also, it’s SO hard to decide when you start going up into the mid & top-tier because blind buying becomes more worrisome, I just got the 7HZ Legato which after 100hrs burn sound really really good but they only cost me £90 so if i didn’t like them i could probably get back £75 selling them so it would only have cost me £15! When you start getting TOTL the losses become MUCH bigger! I bought MEST MK2 brand new for £1299 and yes I liked them but the light bass,scope in upper mids along with fit issues false me to sell them for £995 so lost over £300!
Due to that I’m much more fussy buying big ticket items now!
Just picked up a iFi Go Blu for a really good price and am hoping that xbass will work great on the new Tri-brid?
Yes i will defo let you know how I get on if I get Volt?
On a different note i heard it through the grapevine Penon might have a new Tri-brid coming out soon? I don’t know how true it is and don’t want to name the person who told me but that’s another reason I’ve been holding out!
Anyway, hope your hunt turns out well and would be really interested to know which one you end up buying?

Thanks, I will check the Bicep... Im sorry about your bad experience with IEMs. Nobody wants to buy somthing that would regret, not like and eventually be forced to sell.
Thats why I spend incredible time mainly reading but also watching some reviews. I am not about TOTL experiecne but more after getting the best sound for my taste and budget. I had my FH9 chosen for some time and I have to confirm I do not regret buying it. I would never sell them. Few other users consider them extremely good but some also do not like their tunning. But as soon as you say proper bass, great details, fast and electronic music and reasonable pricing then its very difficult to recommend something else here. Before I got them I did not like the design.. but after few months time I think this is actually one of the top designs out there.. black with gold vents, no signs, all metal, proper cable... anyway, enough of them if interested find out more in FH9 thread. I would not set my head to tri-brids only...

I had UM MEST mk2 on my list but more users complain about their tonality / timbre.
At the moment I am looking for something with fun / relaxed tuning something that would sound like old good speakers.
I recelntly found that the Penon Serial might do the thing.. it fits many boxes for me:
* 3DD setup - very unique setup, fits my collection nicely... its like old speakers set up plus users say they do sound like those
* somebody wrote its iem replacement for D9200 - this got my attention
* darker sound with great tuning, great for relaxed listening
* cost

I might get the Serial first before I get into some tri-brids. The Volt is tempting but would love to try some proper full ba set like Legends.
Im glad I discovered this Penon brand lately as I was considering Monarch mk2 but not anymore :)

Apr 22, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #8,540 of 14,008
Thanks very much for the helpful comparison. Do you have any specific alternative cable recommendations for the Impact? Would the Storm be a good match, as it has some silver content?

What aspect of the Impacts you would like to enhance or focus on.

The included obsidian cable focuses the sound for mids body, some added warmth, bass impact while providing a smoother treble note.- Its not the best for enhancing technicalities like imaging, sound separation, detail and stage. The best ideal cable for the impacts would be one where it retains the lovely mids and bass while enhancing the technical traits so I am leaning more towards a silver plated copper cable more so than anything like a pure silver. But that will be more a matter of preference.

I know some of the fellas here has done some cable pairings so I ask the folks that have the impacts what they are using on the Impacts. I will do some cable pairings and post when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #8,541 of 14,008
WARNING: The "PENON VOCAL" surely can bite hard in case of incautious behavior, but with some care and an adequate handling, his venom is far from being lethal and actually can cure some diseases... Everything is a poison, nothing is a poison. It is the dose that makes the poison (dixit Paracelsus)
snake_yellow_snake_gad_dangerous-663262.jpg!d

The Penon Vocal cable and the ISN H40 IEMs (1DD/3BA) indeed make a wonderful pairing. @Redcarmoose, I second your astonishment and your enthusiasm about this combo being greater than the sum of its parts.

ISN H40's stock cable (ISN S8) does the job right out of the box, but when I thought I've found the best companion with the Satin Audio Chimera II copper cable, then came the Vocal into play and I don't think I will remove the Vocal from the H40 anytime soon. It just matches. Point.

I did not try other IEMs with the Vocal so far because 1) I specifically bought the Vocal for the H40 2) All my other bassy IEMs are perfectly served with aftermarket cables and 3) the others MMCX-terminated IEMs are collecting a bit of dust (634ears LKTC excluded), so no rush here.

I have been listening to electronics, hip-hop, OST, vocalists and ambient tonight and I don't think I will go to bed soon. No hearing fatigue in sight, just wonderful musical moments with the Vocal and the H40. Worth mentioning, I just had an intense and highly satisfying session listening to the from 1999 Live Album from Underworld (Everything, Everything). Massive goosebumps time via AIFF digital format ripped from the CD version - A perfect mix of pounding grooves, frontal and powerful vocals, high-pitched sounds. The whole thing recorded in the best conditions. Underworld in it's full glory:

What stroke me first is how the Vocal brings the mids a bit more forward while remaining full and even more layered compared to the Chimera II, which already represented a big step up from the S8 in that regard. Moreover, it does that without taking anything away from the H40's Herculian DNA. Crank up the volume? Easy. Distortion? Not any. You get immediate improvement in the mids section, especially in the vocal department with extra matter and presence to the voices and there is no compromise to go through in the upper-mids area. Everything remains sibilance and fatigue-free. Finally, what about the low-end? The H40 see their subbass being tightened up and better controlled, less bloomy. The midbass get the same treatment, reducing the V-shaped sound signature, previously tamed by the slight more forward mids.

Once more, important disclaimer: I haven't listened to any other IEMs with the Vocal attached to them so far. Still, I perfectly can imagine, and as @Redcarmoose already mentioned it, that a stock ISN EST50 will step up with it, once more in the medium department and in the bass section. Is the Vocal the solution for every basshead's IEMs or V-shapes ones? Of course not. The H40 and the Vocal might be a match made in heaven, but I can see the Vocal bringing some sets at the limit or beyond sibilance, ruining the experience. Another scenario is reducing the bass quantity and/or quality too much and simultaneously bringing the mids in an undesired forwardness. As always, the listener remains the only judge.

The Penon Vocal and the H40 retail for respectively USD 69.- and USD 195.-. USD 264.- not only buy you a mini-ISN EST50 or a mini-FatFreq Mini Maestro (it makes a lot of "minis" for maxi sound, don't you think :thinking:), but this combo has no problem to stand up against of the more expensive and, yes, more technically achieved and refined aforementioned IEMs in their stock versions.

If you already own a set of H40, I highly encourage you to try the Vocal with them. On the other hand, if you are on the market for an affordable basshead's set that also plays your music back smoothly and effortlessly, then my above-mentioned encouragement becomes a solid recommendation in investigating the H40/Vocal combo.

Aesthetically speaking, well, it's a matter of taste, but I am not against a bit of fantasy sometimes. The color scheme and pattern make the cable looks a bit "cheap", but don't let you fool by the plastic touch of the braid, Penon seems to have improved the solidity of the connections and the shielding,

https://penonaudio.com/penon-vocal.html

LPGT - Penon Vocal - ISN H40 - Symbio W Peel

So we find the same unique and special place with the Vocal Cable and the H40...............it really is a keeper! I totally understand why the Vocal is not shifting duties. Thank-you for confirmation that it's the best cable (with our uses) for the H40, and takes the H40 to a new and better place while still holding onto the charm that made the H40 ISNs runaway hit. A classic, now even more classical!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #8,542 of 14,008
I know after reading so my reviews & impressions they are VERY good in the bass department and wondered how the bass compares to Volt both quality & quantity?

EST50 easily has more bass than the Volt (and more than any Penon I’ve heard) but Volt bass is much more detailed and textured and natural than EST50.

I don’t usually EQ anymore but tried applying +4db to 60Hz and don’t hear any distortion on my Volt.

That said, are you indeed getting so little bass from the Mest Mk2, or were you unable to get a good fit? I don’t think it is that bass light. Mest Mk2 has more of a sub bass tilt from what I recall when I tried it (and the BC effect is fun, as I managed to get a really good fit) whereas the Volt’s bass is more even-handed.

And since you’re looking for bass, the Fatfreq Maestro Mini may be worth considering. I haven’t heard it (the one opportunity I had to demo it, I couldn’t get a good seal as they were so small and I didn’t have my own tips with me. I still believe that long-stemmed Sednas would have allowed for deeper insertion and solved the problem) but I did manage to try the MSE and liked what I heard.

With that said what cable around $150 would work well with Volt to bring out the bass like the Totem?

Tbh nothing else I’ve tried works quite like the Totem, but your best bet in that price range is probably an SPC with some good copper in it, like the OS849.

I don’t have the Mix but those who do may be able to provide impressions.

I had UM MEST mk2 on my list but more users complain about their tonality / timbre.
At the moment I am looking for something with fun / relaxed tuning something that would sound like old good speakers.
I recelntly found that the Penon Serial might do the thing.. it fits many boxes for me:
* 3DD setup - very unique setup, fits my collection nicely... its like old speakers set up plus users say they do sound like those
* somebody wrote its iem replacement for D9200 - this got my attention
* darker sound with great tuning, great for relaxed listening
* cost

Sounds accurate to me.

I might get the Serial first before I get into some tri-brids. The Volt is tempting but would love to try some proper full ba set like Legends.
Im glad I discovered this Penon brand lately as I was considering Monarch mk2 but not anymore :)

See, when you first asked for recs, the other thing I thought was, why not stretch that budget a bit and shoot for the Legend? Sorry about your wallet (not). :)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #8,543 of 14,008

This is the one thing I always want to know when anyone asks for cable recs. I do believe cables make a difference but I’m also an advocate of getting to know the iem’s strengths and weaknesses first vis-à-vis your own preferences before deciding how you want to shape its sound further.

I ask the folks that have the impacts what they are using on the Impacts. I will do some cable pairings and post when I get a chance.

Fwiw, the pairing that made the most significant improvement for me is in my sig, with impressions in the last link.

I’ve had feedback since then that that particular cable is hard to get now so won’t repeat the recommendation.

But with the Impact, I’d say the biggest priority for the cable is to draw out the low end without compromising the highs (or mids), and that usually calls for a considerable amount of good copper. Right now I’m circling the all-copper Code 23 and awaiting more impressions of those with the Impact.

Apr 23, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #8,544 of 14,008
Tried two Bluetooth setups for the Penon Vocal with The Penon Serial. (Penon Orange tips, LDAC, Amazon HD). With the iFi Go Blu, without X Bass, warmer sound, warm on the warmth of the Serial sounded unnatural and tonally veiled, not an enjoyable sound from the Serial and Penon Vocal.
Second...The Serial and Penon Vocal Cable with the Qudelix 5K. Even without any of the wide variety of EQ the 5k offers, there was way improved synergy compared to the iFi Go Blu. Great clarity, very natural sound retaining that Penon Serial 'Je ne sais quoi' magic. Perfect match for me with the Qudelix 5k. All the goodness of the Serial with the improved mids of the 'Vocal' cable. (compared to the iFi Go Blu, which I usually like). Shows we need to find good source matching to get the right synergy. Totally different sound with Qudelix 5k.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #8,545 of 14,008
This is the one thing I always want to know when anyone asks for cable recs. I do believe cables make a difference but I’m also an advocate of getting to know the iem’s strengths and weaknesses first vis-à-vis your own preferences before deciding how you want to shape its sound further.
I was primarily interested in which cable would give the Impacts a similar treble performance to the RGB. I very much like the mid-forward signature of the Impacts, and I'm not certain whether I would prefer the treble characteristics of the RGB.

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #8,546 of 14,008
Believe me no cable will enhance the impact treble to be at the RGB level. 3 factors goes into play here. 3 nozzle channels for treble on the RGB. 2 on the Impacts. The use of 8ESTs vs 4ESTs. Lastly the treble tuning and extension is more substantial on the RGBs. This being said the Impacts has excellent treble. It is actually tuned ideally for treble response utilizing 2 Sonion BAs for highs and 4ESTs for upper treble. It is a well balanced safe treble tuning. RGB like I mentioned previously was tuned with a bit more focus and emphasis for its treble tuning and that is the main difference between the two IEMs. If you have more of a naturally balanced tuning the focus will be more about the mids is what the Impacts are. RGB highlights the treble but in a good way and not the uncontrolled forced type of way. Which makes them sound stupid high end.

You can put a pure silver cable on the Impacts and no way will it have the same treble emphasis as the RGB. Silver will just focus the sound a bit more towards the treble and its technical aspects which will enhance stage and affect the IEMs body of sound to be a touch leaner. So my thought was ideally using both copper with a silver plating will be the best of both worlds.

Again all of this is preference, if you feel the stock sound is exactly how you like it then I would stick with it, no need to change a thing. If anything, I would try some different sources to pair up with the impacts.

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #8,547 of 14,008
I was primarily interested in which cable would give the Impacts a similar treble performance to the RGB. I very much like the mid-forward signature of the Impacts, and I'm not certain whether I would prefer the treble characteristics of the RGB.

I get where you’re coming from now. I myself very much want to know more about the treble characteristics of the RGB.

As for enhancing the Impact’s treble - my treble benchmark is currently the Ragnar, and the cable I know of that best maximises treble is its graphene and silver stock cable, the Magnus 4, which is highly resolving and shows off the Ragnar’s already very comprehensive treble response to great effect but is a bit light on bass foundations. Within the Penonverse, the OSG does something similar but with more copper heft to the bass.

Still, I wouldn’t pick either cable for the Impact as imo it responds well to a more robust boost to its extreme low end than either will muster.

To me, the Impact was never tuned to have that amount of treble energy but nonetheless conveys most of the micro detail, air and positional cues anyway while supporting the mids, which are the star of the show here.

At any rate, I’m interested to hear more detailed impressions on the RGB’s treble response, to get a better sense how it might offer an improvement on either of these two treble tunings.

Separately, do you already have the Impact and the Storm? If you do, how do they synergize?

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #8,548 of 14,008

The included obsidian cable focuses the sound for mids body, some added warmth, bass impact while providing a smoother treble note.- Its not the best for enhancing technicalities like imaging, sound separation, detail and stage. The best ideal cable for the impacts would be one where it retains the lovely mids and bass while enhancing the technical traits so I am leaning more towards a silver plated copper cable more so than anything like a pure silver. But that will be more a matter of preference.

I know some of the fellas here has done some cable pairings so I ask the folks that have the impacts what they are using on the Impacts. I will do some cable pairings and post when I get a chance.

At first I continued with the stock cable on my Impact, because I tried with the Shirokawa or the ISN Solar, and so much detail made me tired after about 1 hour. After a few days of getting used to it (Impact and brain burning) I am now very happy with either. I'm waiting for an EA Code 23 to try it too.

Right now I’m circling the all-copper Code 23 and awaiting more impressions of those with the Impact.
My Code 23 has landed in my country today, and in theory it comes with the taxes and customs procedures made from origin, so I hope to have it in a few days.

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #8,550 of 14,008
Linking to @Rockwell75 ’s impressions of Serial and RGB here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...n-first-page-all-welcome.957426/post-17527011

I personally found them helpful and informative and his Serial impressions squares with my experience of the Serial as well.

My Code 23 has landed in my country today, and in theory it comes with the taxes and customs procedures made from origin, so I hope to have it in a few days.

Finally! You’ve certainly waited long enough for it.

Yes, I do have both. I'll experiment with them and report what I hear, but I'm certainly not as accomplished at discerning and describing auditory nuances as others on this forum.

We all hear a little differently anyway. I think being able to contribute an additional opinion is in itself valuable, especially when there are relatively few owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back