The PENON official thread
Jan 9, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #6,961 of 13,342
Fan 2's efficient, too. Direct from my iphone, is more than good enough. I can't do this on my Fan - it's either a Tradutto or the dx229 on high gain, amp high output then it gets to sing...
Totaly agree.
Fan2 is very efficient with KZ AZ10, too ...

Attachments

• 20230109_202039.jpg
    20230109_202039.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 9, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #6,962 of 13,342
3-in-1%20purple%20copper%20plug-700x700.jpg

Penon Purple plugs. I know many of you guys are thinking. Arent these things what comes with Penons modular cables? Well yes and no. They look identical to the plugs that comes with the new Obsidian cables. I thought they were the same thing actually but I found out these are not exactly the same.

First of all these are given a name. "Purple" Why would Penon give a name for a plug of all things and charge $29 for a set of these? Thats because these are made with a palladium plating. $29 on a random Aliexpress sales page will get you a complete cable. So why the $29 charge?

Just know boutique cable companies will charge anywhere upwards of over a $100 for a palladium plated copper plug by itself.

If you guys frequent this thread you know everything connected to your sound chain has an affect for the end sound. Well these things I was questioning what these were for. Possibly to replace a lost modular plug that came with your cables?. Let me explain what these things do so you can understand why they have a separate sales page for them. These were specifically made for your upgraded cables to be upgraded once again. Thats right, all of Penons modular cables includes copper plugs that are plated in gold. Which is pretty much the industry standard. The difference in a palladium plated copper plug? As I understand it these were much more difficult to make. And something they can't include for their cables due to the sheer cost of making them. So Penon came up with the "Purple."

These will affect single dyanmic IEMs more than BA based IEMs. The more resolving your cables these will affect them more than something like an all copper type. I used the new modular Mix cable as a test bed for these using the new Reecho SG-03s I am writing a review for. These adds a greater note weight with a slight expansion of sound vs the stock gold plated copper plug. It is subtle but defintiley noticeable. Going back and forth from the stock plug to the purple I get a fuller more authoritative note vs the stock cable plugs. Are these plugs necessary when you buy a new Mix modular cable? No not really but these adds maybe 3% more sound performance on the Mix cable and if that is worth it to you then yes. I gotta hand it to Penon. They are the masters of squeezing out as much performance as possible.

Where something like this makes a greater impact would be the Totem adapter. But for your Penon moudular cables. A better sound enhancing plug does exist. Goes by the name of Purple. Now you know.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #6,963 of 13,342
These will affect single dyanmic IEMs more than BA based IEMs

So, like the Vortex? How does it do with the Vortex?

At any rate, this is interesting. I wish Penon mentioned some of it in their listing. It was honestly a bit bewildering when it was announced.

(Tbf I didn’t rate the OG SG-03 at all so not terribly interested in the new one)

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #6,964 of 13,342
SG-03s is greatly improved SG-03 by the way much better balancing and using an LCP 10mm dynamic N52 magnets. Will give it a try with the Vortex and I am sure the Serial will get a nice little uptick in sound as well. What you should be interested in is the new "SPACE" modular cables. Double the OS133 cores. If your a fan of the OS133 cable. These will be a no brainer for you. The cable is literally called. SPACE

11947757.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #6,965 of 13,342
SG-03s is greatly improved SG-03 by the way much better balancing and using an LCP 10mm dynamic N52 magnets. Will give it a try with the Vortex and I am sure the Serial will get a nice little uptick in sound as well. What you should be interested in is the new "SPACE" modular cables. Double the OS133 cores. If your a fan of the OS133 cable. These will be a no brainer for you. The cable is literally called. SPACE

11947757.jpg

Double the OS133 cores is good news and that is a great name for what the OS133 does best. But dang, fabric sleeve.

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #6,966 of 13,342
Any FAN2 owner with DX320/320X?
It deserve AMP14, crazy sound!

Jan 9, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #6,967 of 13,342
3-in-1%20purple%20copper%20plug-700x700.jpg

Penon Purple plugs. I know many of you guys are thinking. Arent these things what comes with Penons modular cables? Well yes and no. They look identical to the plugs that comes with the new Obsidian cables. I thought they were the same thing actually but I found out these are not exactly the same.

First of all these are given a name. "Purple" Why would Penon give a name for a plug of all things and charge $29 for a set of these? Thats because these are made with a palladium plating. $29 on a random Aliexpress sales page will get you a complete cable. So why the $29 charge?

Just know boutique cable companies will charge anywhere upwards of over a $100 for a palladium plated copper plug by itself.

If you guys frequent this thread you know everything connected to your sound chain has an affect for the end sound. Well these things I was questioning what these were for. Possibly to replace a lost modular plug that came with your cables?. Let me explain what these things do so you can understand why they have a separate sales page for them. These were specifically made for your upgraded cables to be upgraded once again. Thats right, all of Penons modular cables includes copper plugs that are plated in gold. Which is pretty much the industry standard. The difference in a palladium plated copper plug? As I understand it these were much more difficult to make. And something they can't include for their cables due to the sheer cost of making them. So Penon came up with the "Purple."

These will affect single dyanmic IEMs more than BA based IEMs. The more resolving your cables these will affect them more than something like an all copper type. I used the new modular Mix cable as a test bed for these using the new Reecho SG-03s I am writing a review for. These adds a greater note weight with a slight expansion of sound vs the stock gold plated copper plug. It is subtle but defintiley noticeable. Going back and forth from the stock plug to the purple I get a fuller more authoritative note vs the stock cable plugs. Are these plugs necessary when you buy a new Mix modular cable? No not really but these adds maybe 3% more sound performance on the Mix cable and if that is worth it to you then yes. I gotta hand it to Penon. They are the masters of squeezing out as much performance as possible.

Where something like this makes a greater impact would be the Totem adapter. But for your Penon moudular cables. A better sound enhancing plug does exist. Goes by the name of Purple. Now you know.
Any plans for a 2.5 balanced version? Only see 4.4 and 3.5 on the website.

Jan 9, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #6,968 of 13,342
Any plans for a 2.5 balanced version? Only see 4.4 and 3.5 on the website.
Thats what the plugs come in but you can certainly ask. Dont know if they plan on ditching the 2.5mm balanced plug.

It seems there is a gradual movement more toward 4.4mm vs 2.5mm for the audio industry nowadays. I use both myself. They are friendly folks I would ask them.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #6,969 of 13,342
received my Shozy B2 "HNY Edition" from Penon.
one question: 1 different SN on both earrphone is okey?

Some pics OOFTB:
IMG_20230109_202828.jpg

IMG_20230109_202820.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #6,971 of 13,342
863956D5-60DF-432B-9829-2695C90B7506.jpeg

1 week from order date to delivered! Not to mention I forgot to include express shipping and penon was so quick in sending me an invoice. This is my first penon order after owning used volt and serial. If you’re thinking about purchasing anything from them definitely don’t forget to add the freebies to the cart. I got a case, a 3.5mm patch, some earbuds and filters!

I heard/read fan2 needs a deep fit so I started my listening today with the smallest moondrop spring tips. Listening to dx313.

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #6,972 of 13,342
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Jan 11, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #6,973 of 13,342
With doable the shares from OS133, how soft and flexible is it around the ear?

OS133 is great quality, looks and sound. Just not the biggest fan of fabric cables. Doable the shares will probably scale well with the more resolving sets.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #6,974 of 13,342
received my Shozy B2 "HNY Edition" from Penon.
one question: 1 different SN on both earrphone is okey?

Some pics OOFTB:
IMG_20230109_202828.jpg
IMG_20230109_202820.jpg
They have different serial numbers, each one does, it’s fine! Enjoy!

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #6,975 of 13,342
Noticed the new Penon is to be called impact, looking at Penon's Facebook post be prepared to sell some organs😅

Screenshot_20230113-083528.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back