The PENON official thread
Nov 16, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #6,421 of 13,620
In my opinion the best part of the H50 is its midrange.
OHHH
If I said to you F2 is more fluid, more alive :ksc75smile: ?
I would be especially interested to know how the mids and highs of the H50 would compare with those of the Fan2.....
This has been Penon territory. But I do agree with you '50's Mids are really special!
I'm not afraid of the neutral profiles but I am afraid of the sibilant and cool profiles.
Since '50s got more "balls" in the Treble department - the usual sibilant albums will always remain -> Sibilant. I use Sony EP-EX11. I love the '50's air renditions...
Thank you very much!
You're welcome.
Will share them impressions very soon...

Nov 16, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #6,422 of 13,620
Speaking of which. I think Penon is due for a bass heavy set. Since they got the neutral down with the Fan2.

1668581896374.png

Deep Sub-bass, a la Volt Mids (not forward, NOT recessed), F2 trebles

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #6,423 of 13,620
OHHH
If I said to you F2 is more fluid, more alive :ksc75smile: ?

This has been Penon territory. But I do agree with you '50's Mids are really special!

Since '50s got more "balls" in the Treble department - the usual sibilant albums will always remain -> Sibilant. I use Sony EP-EX11. I love the '50's air renditions...

You're welcome.
Will share them impressions very soon...
Hello,

How nice your way of communicating :wink:

Indeed, I consider the H50's mids as "tender and warm", I love them!

So I understand from what you tell me that the FAN2 is more permissive with bad recordings and less bright than the 50? I listen to a lot of punk/post-punk and they don't usually stand out for the quality of their recordings.

Thanks a lot mate!!!

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #6,424 of 13,620
Can somebody help me?
I come this path: from Moondrop Chu, heartmirror, tin t2pro, ikko ih10, Tri i 3 pro... And i kept only Chu and heartmirror..
Reading here I jump in a single time in the penon world and now
I own both vortex and fan2.

Fan 2 surprised me a lot with their coherence (you can't distinguish the three drivers) and details and separation that vortex doesn't have with the original cable.
If you listen to the fabulous Fabio Concato's last album "musico Ambulante" you can follow both the voice and the guitar that have the same light on them, they are a duet. In the vortex the Concato's voice is little bigger and in you face but the guitar stay quieter on the back ground.( Not too much though but there is this difference)

Vortex is my on the go iem cause they're smaller. But they miss a little punch in every region. And they haven't enough bass and again any bass slam. It's a clear step up over heartmirror but doesn't make me say wow as the fan2, but maybe this is a good thing: neutrality.

I've followed your posts in the cable and I'm curious if any of you tried the fan2 cable on the vortex..

All of you said that original cable isn't good for Vortex.. too smooth

I would like to buy one between isn g4(costs a lot) or isn C2 or s2 (or also the PAC480 adviced in a vortex review?)cable but I don't know to which penon iem give this gift.

Its better only one upgrade choosing between fan2 with s2 And vortex with c2 or g4 (keeping in mind with the cost of a g4 you can take two cable: c2/s2)?
Or you strongly advice me both upgrade vortex/pac480/c2 and fan/s2

How does compare pac480 to Isn C2?

Ooooo gosh too many chances.

P.s. I have to decide now to stop thinking and keep back studying with mind free!!

Originally I was going toward s2/fan2 or either s2/vortex because I love wide soundstage but one of you said that c2 gives more energetic sound to vortex... And for me vortex is slow.. driving it only by phone. So I started thinking to c2 or pac480.

Which upgrade worth more in your opinion?

And can you link me the vortex bass mod topic, I can't find it.

I also am waiting to kbear 30 dollars hazy 6n graphene cable but I don't expect too much from it...

Excuse me if I made some grammar errors.

Good morning 🌄

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #6,425 of 13,620
@Dsnuts and penon Said :
"Here is the rank by Head-Fi Dsnuts:
Bass= C2>H2>S2 None of these lean out any of the bass your hearing though.
Mids=H2=C2=S2 C2 leans a touch warmer, S2 a touch cooler, H2 in the middle.
Technicals=S2>H2>C2. C2 copper cable is resolves better than most type of copper cables,so dont think it is somehow less resolving than the others.
Treble detail= S2>H2>C2 S2 has the most silver content. C2 has the most natural tonal character for trebles.
Natural tone= C2>H2>S2
Verstility=H2>S2=C2 H2 is the middle being half S2 and half C2.Can't decide which to choose,go for a bit of both. "

... So C2 seems to be better with vortex.

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #6,426 of 13,620
Can somebody help me?
I come this path: from Moondrop Chu, heartmirror, tin t2pro, ikko ih10, Tri i 3 pro... And i kept only Chu and heartmirror..
Reading here I jump in a single time in the penon world and now
I own both vortex and fan2.

Fan 2 surprised me a lot with their coherence (you can't distinguish the three drivers) and details and separation that vortex doesn't have with the original cable.
If you listen to the fabulous Fabio Concato's last album "musico Ambulante" you can follow both the voice and the guitar that have the same light on them, they are a duet. In the vortex the Concato's voice is little bigger and in you face but the guitar stay quieter on the back ground.( Not too much though but there is this difference)

Vortex is my on the go iem cause they're smaller. But they miss a little punch in every region. And they haven't enough bass and again any bass slam. It's a clear step up over heartmirror but doesn't make me say wow as the fan2, but maybe this is a good thing: neutrality.

I've followed your posts in the cable and I'm curious if any of you tried the fan2 cable on the vortex..

All of you said that original cable isn't good for Vortex.. too smooth

I would like to buy one between isn g4(costs a lot) or isn C2 or s2 (or also the PAC480 adviced in a vortex review?)cable but I don't know to which penon iem give this gift.

Its better only one upgrade choosing between fan2 with s2 And vortex with c2 or g4 (keeping in mind with the cost of a g4 you can take two cable: c2/s2)?
Or you strongly advice me both upgrade vortex/pac480/c2 and fan/s2

How does compare pac480 to Isn C2?

Ooooo gosh too many chances.

P.s. I have to decide now to stop thinking and keep back studying with mind free!!

Originally I was going toward s2/fan2 or either s2/vortex because I love wide soundstage but one of you said that c2 gives more energetic sound to vortex... And for me vortex is slow.. driving it only by phone. So I started thinking to c2 or pac480.

Which upgrade worth more in your opinion?

And can you link me the vortex bass mod topic, I can't find it.

I also am waiting to kbear 30 dollars hazy 6n graphene cable but I don't expect too much from it...

Excuse me if I made some grammar errors.

Good morning 🌄
IMG_20221116_195158.jpg

Mail call! Today I received cables from isn. AG8, C2 and S2, I also have a G4, so I have all the possible combinations that you indicate to be able to try, but I am afraid that I will not be able to do it with guarantees until the weekend.

For now my Vortex was with a Tri Wolfram with great results, I think silver suits it very well, and the Fan2 with a Penon Mix, but I haven't had time to try other combinations.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #6,427 of 13,620
New Totem cable covering and multiple plug set-up. Even new style of chin-slider and splitter. Less weight than the old way if used with other plugs in addition to the standard 2.5mm termination, and this new Totem will come in at a lesser price! I'm not sure what that price is.....but it will be less! :)

Edit:
It's $100.00 less.
314039898_1744423979271195_2988170982877822913_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #6,428 of 13,620
Hello,

How nice your way of communicating :wink:

Indeed, I consider the H50's mids as "tender and warm", I love them!
Exactly
So I understand from what you tell me that the FAN2 is more permissive with bad recordings
No, not really, upper treble is thick on the F2
and less bright than the 50?
Not quite, actually. both are bright and in a good way, though. Same levels of reach, '50s are Neutral compared to the thicker F2
I listen to a lot of punk/post-punk and they don't usually stand out for the quality of their recordings.
Please check out below.
Thanks a lot mate!!!
You're welcome!

Tracks I played for the comparison include:
So tough - The Slits
Brighter – The Railway Children
…from across the kitchen table – The Pale Fountains
Chamber of Hellos (Extended Version) – Wire Train
Love is time of Year – Sinne Eeg
Talkin bout a revolution – Tracy Chapman
Fast car - Tracy Chapman
I used Azla Sedna Earfit Shorts, for best Mids and treble output, without reducing bass qualities.

From playback going through back and forth, and most often times repeating the same tracks, we can gather:
The Level of clarity on the F2, especially on the Mids, is definitely higher. Please don't get me wrong. '50s' Mids are clear as day, but comparing to the F2 - it is very obvious the latter has the upper hand.
Handling of complex passages - F2 has this in the bag. The 50s being analytical also, is a bit slower in capturing nuances, low level details. Whilst the F2 is very analytical as well, it does keep up with the pace and being more resolving than the former, does a better job.
Layering - F2, having advantages of the above mentioned, this is also going to the F2.
Scale of imaging, the F2 has the larger scale of imaging here. Albeit the '50s having the smaller scale, I can sense the holographic presentation on the latter is always better as opposed to the F2 being a Near Field rendering on the images.
Tuning - this is a matter of preference. Neutral, U shape -> ISN Audio H50, Neutral, warm, W shape -> Penon Fan 2

IMG_E1810.JPG

IMG_E1812.JPG

IMG_E1813.JPG

In the end, they are both keepers for me...

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #6,429 of 13,620
Tried this because of a mix up but loving it - Spring Tips on the OG Fan… hot dang!

Very controlled bass, but still very foreceful, deep, Fan bass.

Sounds excellent over a lightning adapter (ddhifi) no extra amping.

Listening to “Ready to lose” by The Knife atm.

edit: Now intro to “Dang” by Buck 65. Tight, thunderous, timbre on point.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #6,430 of 13,620
Put some Springtips on the Fan 2 and works pretty well to bring the highs up. Springtips really don’t fit for me on most stuff. The presentation is opening up. Listened to some low bass dub and they didn’t really take to that. Vocals sound more natural though. Haven’t listened to anything else in the meantime so could be some mental adaptation. I’ll mix them up with the Kato to get a better sense of the presentation. I’m increasingly tempted to try the Serial but wonder if the thick mids are too similar.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #6,431 of 13,620
Exactly

No, not really, upper treble is thick on the F2

Not quite, actually. both are bright and in a good way, though. Same levels of reach, '50s are Neutral compared to the thicker F2

Please check out below.

You're welcome!

Tracks I played for the comparison include:
So tough - The Slits
Brighter – The Railway Children
…from across the kitchen table – The Pale Fountains
Chamber of Hellos (Extended Version) – Wire Train
Love is time of Year – Sinne Eeg
Talkin bout a revolution – Tracy Chapman
Fast car - Tracy Chapman
I used Azla Sedna Earfit Shorts, for best Mids and treble output, without reducing bass qualities.

From playback going through back and forth, and most often times repeating the same tracks, we can gather:
The Level of clarity on the F2, especially on the Mids, is definitely higher. Please don't get me wrong. '50s' Mids are clear as day, but comparing to the F2 - it is very obvious the latter has the upper hand.
Handling of complex passages - F2 has this in the bag. The 50s being analytical also, is a bit slower in capturing nuances, low level details. Whilst the F2 is very analytical as well, it does keep up with the pace and being more resolving than the former, does a better job.
Layering - F2, having advantages of the above mentioned, this is also going to the F2.
Scale of imaging, the F2 has the larger scale of imaging here. Albeit the '50s having the smaller scale, I can sense the holographic presentation on the latter is always better as opposed to the F2 being a Near Field rendering on the images.
Tuning - this is a matter of preference. Neutral, U shape -> ISN Audio H50, Neutral, warm, W shape -> Penon Fan 2

In the end, they are both keepers for me...
Hi!

So from what you say, both the H50 and the F2 have a similar profile, right? The only thing that worries me is that the F2 is too bright for genres like punk/post-punk.

An example of what I usually listen to:

Thank you so much for your kindness!

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #6,432 of 13,620
Damn... Tempting.
I have to think a lot because my setup is being built around my open-back headphone.
So not much money left lol
That's quite a price jump from Serial.
Gonna do my research about that one.
Thanks for the suggestion, man!
I have the EST 50 and love it! Can't go wrong at all. Also the Globe has decent bass!

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #6,434 of 13,620
Hi!

So from what you say, both the H50 and the F2 have a similar profile, right? The only thing that worries me is that the F2 is too bright for genres like punk/post-punk.

An example of what I usually listen to:

Thank you so much for your kindness!

My experience is that Fan 2 responds to how the songs are mixed, more than they affect the song. If the song is peaky and sharp Fan will give it to you peaky and sharp. If the song is mixed smooth and without sibilance, I’m not getting anything. YMMV, but Fan 2 gives you what’s there, it doesn’t accentuate

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #6,435 of 13,620
So I’m working on my Fan 2 review and I had a revelation. I kept trying (in my mind) to figure out what the Fan 2 response reminded me of. Take this with a huge-grain-of-salt, but I heard the Sony MDR-R10 about thirteen years ago at my second Head-Fi meet....yep. The Fan 2 is very much as neutral as the R10, yet slightly warmer in the midrange. And of course the Fan 2 treble is not quite as refined as the R10, plus it’s laughingly been 13 years since I heard the R10. But when I heard it was with a totally optimal set-up, also it wasn’t a regular meet-up. Meaning everyone was downstairs talking and I was by myself with the R10 totally undisturbed, and could listen just long as I wanted to! Just thought I share this, as I really haven’t heard anything (else) exactly like it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back