The PENON official thread
Nov 18, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #6,451 of 13,727
I needed to correct the part about how the midrange and treble are more forward with the H30 than the Fan 2. I corrected it twice (must be my internet?) but here is it corrected finally. The Fan 2 (to me) is the cats meow. In fact I had a headphone and still actually have this Sony MDR-CD-870 headphone which in a sense represents what Sony did as far as a tune in the late 1990s. In fact I purchased it in 1996, and it was my main headphone from 1996 until 2006.......then I discovered Head-Fi. Obviously once I started reading here I ended making more purchases, that's how it goes.

The point of my rambling is both the Sony MDR-CD-870 headphones, the Sony MDR-R10 headphones and the Fan 2 share many of the same attributes. It is exciting only if you can relate with a fairly neutral response and understand that FR in and of itself gets you a style of enhanced technicalities beyond the price bracket. That is why people here are getting it and wonder what higher priced IEMs even offer. The thing is the Fan 2 may not totally be for the enthusiasts who have purchased the regular Penon sound in the past, because it represents a departure in a way..........as Penon has never made this style of neutral. It has some extra warmth, and it's true that actually a double thing occurs when you try to warm up the Fan 2, where adding a thick amp and thick sounding cable seems to make the Fan 2 better, but it will also smooth out the highs at times. So it's just like anything else..............it is finding a balances or sorts.

My review will be up in a day or two, you are invited to read it, and see just what the Fan 2 is in my eyes. But I don't know, I can get behind what the Fan 2 does and I truly think it is something different in an IEM, as I have not heard exactly what the Fan 2 is doing before, with anything...........except of course what the Sony sound did in the late 1990s.
Wow, great response. I'm actually considering grabbing a set now...

Nov 18, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #6,452 of 13,727
OK, I have ordered the Fan 2, repeat, I have ordered the Fan 2. Please stand by... :smile_cat:

Nov 18, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #6,453 of 13,727
Nov 18, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #6,454 of 13,727
Just receive my first Penon IEM , the SERIAL triplw DDs....
and man, let say im positively surprise. make some time i was curious about those since im a big fan of UM 3DT
these are bassier and warmer than 3DT, more wide open in spatiality and natural-organic in timbre
layering is effortless and chunky, very immersive and addictive, vocal are smooth, clean, wide in presence...very beautifull (i listen female vocal 99% of time)

will share more impression after a bit of proper burn in (i mean, 3dd!) but these are alreadye xtremly musical to my ears...
1668823667006.png

Nov 18, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #6,455 of 13,727
Just receive my first Penon IEM , the SERIAL triplw DDs....
and man, let say im positively surprise. make some time i was curious about those since im a big fan of UM 3DT
these are bassier and warmer than 3DT, more wide open in spatiality and natural-organic in timbre
layering is effortless and chunky, very immersive and addictive, vocal are smooth, clean, wide in presence...very beautifull (i listen female vocal 99% of time)

will share more impression after a bit of proper burn in (i mean, 3dd!) but these are alreadye xtremly musical to my ears...
1668823667006.png
You got a beautiful set!

Nov 18, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #6,456 of 13,727
You got a beautiful set!
indeed...and 2 times smaller than UM 3DT...how do they fit all these DDs in this housing trick my imagination...
and all these wonderfull accessories...im not just surprise by sound but that too..
1668824782070.png

Nov 18, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #6,457 of 13,727
indeed...and 2 times smaller than UM 3DT...how do they fit all these DDs in this housing trick my imagination...
and all these wonderfull accessories...im not just surprise by sound but that too..

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #6,458 of 13,727
I've received the silverplateed cable discounted from 14.99 to 9 euros but it was bad plated in the jack so ,making false contacts, it stops the player. But when it works was nothing special. I regret having ordered. Penon is refunding me cause it is failed.
Same thing happened to me...
I was afraid to plug in the termination because the plug plating & materials kept flaking & eroding away.

After sending pics of the faulty cable (& pics confirming I cut up said cable), Penon refunded my account...

Response time was faster than I anticipated.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #6,459 of 13,727
I always feel like I get more than I paid for from our friends at Penon
well, im not familiar yet with Penon, but let say shipping was freakin fast for Canada...package was so small i was concern its bare minimum, then, like Serial housing fitting 3 dds in small space their come a big case and all these accessories with 2.5mm balanced cable of great quality it seem...the tuning of Serial is easy to enjoy, since both basshead and technical talent lover will be please I think, even if they dont sound technical they are more than competent due to ''fast layering'' permit from triple DD with well done crossover...these arent amateur IEMs, its no **** or Nicehck. in fact it surpass lot of well sitted audio companies...

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #6,460 of 13,727
Value comes into the equation too but barely - I still have my Serial but no longer have Clairvoyance, EJ07M resin, Xenns Up, Oracle, Tea 1 or 2, Moonlight, and heck many more I’m just going for some of the most expensive and tribrid ones to prove a point. In either Jan or Feb I will have been EDCing a Serial for a year, I never got past a few months even with my favorites before these. That’s with open auditioning all the time, not burying my head in the sand. Their sound is among the very top of those mentioned, but the pure DDs mean they have qualities none of the hybrids and tribrids have. They are “same SQ but different character” when up against $600-800 sets. When you get to value as a final point, nothing stands up against them. $200 used quite frequently. Nuts. I am honestly saying that if they were all the same price Serials might come out on top in a couple of areas. Doesn’t feel like “settling”.

I plan to sell everything but these, and keep a damaged R3 Pro as BT receiver/ DAP. Modular cable from XINHS for about $11 means I won’t need to keep 3. Whatever money is left after PayPal debts can go into my family.

I have the medium sized ePro Horns on my Serial right now and seriously, nothing sounds like these do. I’ll be impressed with other sets, sometimes cheaper ones, but after 2 days of listening to others I’ll have complaints about some area of FR or sound quality even if it doesn’t manifest straight away.

And if like me you only want one IEM for financial reasons, then heck what a perfect all rounder. Comfortable too.

I’ll be buried with my Serials most likely.

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #6,461 of 13,727
Value comes into the equation too but barely - I still have my Serial but no longer have Clairvoyance, EJ07M resin, Xenns Up, Oracle, Tea 1 or 2, Moonlight, and heck many more I’m just going for some of the most expensive and tribrid ones to prove a point. In either Jan or Feb I will have been EDCing a Serial for a year, I never got past a few months even with my favorites before these. That’s with open auditioning all the time, not burying my head in the sand. Their sound is among the very top of those mentioned, but the pure DDs mean they have qualities none of the hybrids and tribrids have. They are “same SQ but different character” when up against $600-800 sets. When you get to value as a final point, nothing stands up against them. $200 used quite frequently. Nuts. I am honestly saying that if they were all the same price Serials might come out on top in a couple of areas. Doesn’t feel like “settling”.

I plan to sell everything but these, and keep a damaged R3 Pro as BT receiver/ DAP. Modular cable from XINHS for about $11 means I won’t need to keep 3. Whatever money is left after PayPal debts can go into my family.

I have the medium sized ePro Horns on my Serial right now and seriously, nothing sounds like these do. I’ll be impressed with other sets, sometimes cheaper ones, but after 2 days of listening to others I’ll have complaints about some area of FR or sound quality even if it doesn’t manifest straight away.

And if like me you only want one IEM for financial reasons, then heck what a perfect all rounder. Comfortable too.

I’ll be buried with my Serials most likely.
wow mate...thats a shock to read lol...im trying to calm myself about those, since im the kind to be very critical and grumpy but its hard being grumpy about those...since you nail it with the DD magic that just cant be mimic with hybrid, this cohesion is so organic in fact some can be fool its a single....enormous?....DD...genius supreme DD?
they are kinda supreme all arounder, bit warm, yet its because everything is full bodied, so you lower your guard and enjoy and then, bam, they impress you with bass mids or treble definition. tone is so right...im confuse their no timbral imbalance....
again, what impress me the must for now its the unique layering which im a bit afound of with UM 3DT but not with this cohesion and hazy transparency of timbre.
right now i listen to them with Moondrop Dawn 4.4mm...but even prefer result of SMSL SU9+SH9 since these love clean powerful audio source with low impedance.

with what source do you enjoy those the most mate??

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #6,462 of 13,727
I took a picture for you!
szore

DSC_0015.jpegqwreewry.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #6,463 of 13,727
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #6,464 of 13,727
Hi!

So from what you say, both the H50 and the F2 have a similar profile, right? The only thing that worries me is that the F2 is too bright for genres like punk/post-punk.

An example of what I usually listen to:

Thank you so much for your kindness!

Will report back to you. Don't have the F2 the whole day today - it's Serial's day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back