The PENON official thread
Oct 30, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #6,136 of 13,514
I always give my gear some very good time to burn in and adjust my own impression, I remember getting the Verite and found them a tad to bright. Some burn in and ear time and its one of the best audio experience I have had.
On my EST50 everything sounded great after about 100+ hours of BI but there was still a little thickness to the bass which I felf was unfortunate. But as an experiment I burned it in around 300+ hours and that thickness resolved perfectly. My Szalayi took 400 hours to burn in. The Serial, about 300

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #6,138 of 13,514
I’ve gotten a chance to listen to the fan 2 at work today. Source is still the m3x. The Serial will probably remain my go to for classic rock, rock, and hip hop. I still like the Fan 2 for these genres, and hip hop in particular sounds excellent.

I also have a fair amount of synth-heavy stuff in my library (house, electro, lo-fi, ambient, etc). The Fan 2 does a phenomenal job of giving me a sense of depth and height with instruments like a synthesizer that really need air and space. The 3D effect is wonderful. There’s good sub bass weight when it’s needed. The Fan2 does a good a job of retaining the rough edges without being harsh.

I haven’t found the Fan 2 to be power hungry and sounds best on balanced low gain on m3x.

I’m not really one to write too much about listening sessions on here. I’m not young anymore, and have some hearing loss ( mostly left ear). So I wouldn’t necessarily say my experience is that useful. Generally speaking. I’ve really enjoyed the Fan 2 today though

A few tracks that sounded 😌
DJ Shark - Space Beach
Lake Haze - Love in lux
Redlight - City Jams
Bicep - Vision of love
Brian Eno - An Ending
Vangelis - Love Theme
Assembler Code - Day 1

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #6,139 of 13,514
I’ve gotten a chance to listen to the fan 2 at work today. Source is still the m3x. The Serial will probably remain my go to for classic rock, rock, and hip hop. I still like the Fan 2 for these genres, and hip hop in particular sounds excellent.

I also have a fair amount of synth-heavy stuff in my library (house, electro, lo-fi, ambient, etc). The Fan 2 does a phenomenal job of giving me a sense of depth and height with instruments like a synthesizer that really need air and space. The 3D effect is wonderful. There’s good sub bass weight when it’s needed. The Fan2 does a good a job of retaining the rough edges without being harsh.

I haven’t found the Fan 2 to be power hungry and sounds best on balanced low gain on m3x.

I’m not really one to write too much about listening sessions on here. I’m not young anymore, and have some hearing loss ( mostly left ear). So I wouldn’t necessarily say my experience is that useful. Generally speaking. I’ve really enjoyed the Fan 2 today though

Tracks that sounded 😌
DJ Shark - Space Beach
Lake Haze - Love in lux
Redlight - City Jams
Bicep - Vision of love
Brian Eno - An Ending
Vangelis - Love Theme
Assembler Code - Day 1

Nice write up. I’m increasingly excited to get a set. They’re taking their time in the shipping network. I’m hopeful they’ll get here next week.

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #6,140 of 13,514
The Fan 2 is really something special. I'm currently burning in my Serials so I'm spending a lot of time with the Fan 2. The sound signature is probably the most enjoyable neutral sound I've ever heard. 3D presentation is simply stunning! Can't believe only 2 BA's are handling all the mids and highs. All in all, a wonderful offering! And for anyone who got it on the VIP deal really got a steal.

But that's all praise for stock tuning. Now for those that know me on here know that I love to EQ my IEMs. All of them. In this case, the Fan 2 responds immaculately well to EQ! I'm using my Mojo 2 in series with the Gryphon and I feel like I've dialed into these things quite perfectly. The sound that comes out of these little things are something to behold! And anyone that says these things don't have solid quality bass is sorely mistaken. The stock sound has good punch sure, but with EQ, these dual 6mm drivers come to life! Great rumble and even punchier! They can handle a good amount of EQ. I'd say about 3-5dB boost in the bass region. EQ'ed, I prefer them to the stock Serial. But then again, I haven't spent much time with theSerial or done any tip/cable rolling or EQ of any kind. But man... The Fan 2 is nice :)

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #6,141 of 13,514
Tried the FAN 2 the other day, they are a upgrade to the ISN H30. Still very similar, low end is the most different. I decided to not order it due to economic reason since im about to change out main dac and amp. If not I would have liked to have FAN 2 also.

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #6,142 of 13,514
Tried the FAN 2 the other day, they are a upgrade to the ISN H30. Still very similar, low end is the most different. I decided to not order it due to economic reason since im about to change out main dac and amp. If not I would have liked to have FAN 2 also.
What are you changing to?

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #6,143 of 13,514
Plugged in the Fan 2 during a weekend where I haven't really done much listening to anything. Without having recent ear memory of my sets that have notable sub-bass (Serial and Fan), it's hard to notice much missing in the bass area. Imaging and stage are definitely strengths. So far mids timbre is the slightest bit uncanny, almost like staccato delivery. Maybe a fast attack is simply more accurate than the musical approach I'm used to. Drums sound very true.

Here's a hot take. These are tuned like super good earbuds.

If you've every tried good earbuds you'll often find fantastic stage, usually forward mids, but often a sacrifice in full sub-bass extension / punchiness. Having said that the mid bass has decent punch. Definitely a foot-tappable set.

Anyway I've had a good last 20 minutes, I'll probably keep them in for the remainder of this listening opportunity.

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #6,144 of 13,514
What are you changing to?
A little unsure, my setup is kinda complex. Few dac amps that does everything I want, I want a cleaner output for IEM's for one. The CMA400i is great, but its a little noisy, also the output impedance isn't really low.
The Topping DX7 Pro + looks like it ticks all my boxes. I have never listened to such a neutral sounding piece of gear before, I have gone after what sounds good over measurement.

I will still keep both the A 20 and the Echo as they are so perfect for high impedance headphones.

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #6,145 of 13,514
A little unsure, my setup is kinda complex. Few dac amps that does everything I want, I want a cleaner output for IEM's for one. The CMA400i is great, but its a little noisy, also the output impedance isn't really low.
The Topping DX7 Pro + looks like it ticks all my boxes. I have never listened to such a neutral sounding piece of gear before, I have gone after what sounds good over measurement.

I will still keep both the A 20 and the Echo as they are so perfect for high impedance headphones.
Here is a bit of newness for you. Take a read of the specs on the new Fiio K7. I recently got a review unit I am testing out. Thing is marvelous. SQ is insanely good. Thing cost $200 and the SQ is equivalent to one of my all-time favorite dac amps in the IFI Signature. The signature cost almost 4X the cost of this thing and pound for pound It pushes sonics equally. Not to mention drives anything you own with aplomb. I have tested it with IEMs on low gain. Has a black background with a clean noise floor and sound stupidly great for everything used it with including the Fan2. It drives my 280 ohm Amiron Homes and DT1990 Pros without breaking a sweat. This thing has two powerful THX amps working in unison that provides a stupid amount of power if need be but more importantly for IEM users this thing is excellent. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...3s-dacs-officially-released-in-oct-26.964866/
1667159056285.png

Worth checking out for anyone that needs a serious desktop unit for not that much. The sound quality value on this one is through the roof.

The Fan2 is the type of IEM that grows on a person. It is usually the more colored IEMs that initially Wows but it is the neutral tuned IEM that you have to listen to for longer derations to really understand their finer points. Fan2 for me has been that way. I am glad it is not ruler neutral flat as that would make for boring IEM sound or too analytical.

Its got a strange nozzle shape however and that is unfortunately one of the negative aspects of the Fan2. I already have a good friend that is not fond of its shape. I hope Penon reevaluates the recent nozzle shape in both the H30 and the Fan2 and go back to a more traditional nozzle. The benefit of the longer nozzle however is it does force you to have a deeper insertion. You guys notice how well the Fan2 isolates? It is right up there with the Orbs for passive isolation.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #6,146 of 13,514
The K7 looks nice, but I need XLR and RCA outs that is not variable. Tbh there is so much good gear lately. What I can do is having a K5 besides everything else:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #6,148 of 13,514
Its got a strange nozzle shape however and that is unfortunately one of the negative aspects of the Fan2. I already have a good friend that is not fond of its shape. I hope Penon reevaluates the recent nozzle shape in both the H30 and the Fan2 and go back to a more traditional nozzle. The benefit of the longer nozzle however is it does force you to have a deeper insertion. You guys notice how well the Fan2 isolates? It is right up there with the Orbs for passive isolation.
Hi! For me, the longest nozze is an advantage. In the Vortex for example, it is too short. Being longer, it allows a deeper insertion, and therefore less peaks of internal resonance of the treble. They also stay better in the ear. For me they are the ones that have the best fit of all the penons that I have, but of course it is also a risk that they do not suit all types of inner ears.

Oct 30, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #6,149 of 13,514

Users who are viewing this thread

Back