The PENON official thread
Oct 20, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #5,986 of 13,710
I found tiny Final E tips, with a super deep insertion that matches the aardvark-snout design, gave the best sound and fit so far for me.

I also got an interesting assortment of tips from Penon, stashed with the complimentary 9th anniversary 2-pin cable (if you're not picking a free gift at checkout, you're missing out!) It's almost an experimental group of tips... there's a foam tip with a vented side hole, there's one wide bore that extends beyond the stem, effectively coating all the way up the IEM not just the nozzle. That one gave a great seal and sound with the Fan 2, but didn't stick in my ear at all with the Serial.

I've yet to have an experience that confirms cable rolling, each to their own ears, but tip-rolling for certain transforms what reaches the ear in sometimes very dramatic ways.
I'm somewhere in between the cable believers and deniers. I think cables do something. But for me, it's more like putting a touch of salt and pepper on an already completed meal. It will add a little seasoning to what is already there, but won't change the overall taste.

Tips are like taking a steak and dipping it into au jus; it's a fundamental change to the experience. When done wrong it can ruin it, but when done right it can heighten it!

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #5,987 of 13,710
I found tiny Final E tips, with a super deep insertion that matches the aardvark-snout design, gave the best sound and fit so far for me.

I also got an interesting assortment of tips from Penon, stashed with the complimentary 9th anniversary 2-pin cable (if you're not picking a free gift at checkout, you're missing out!) It's almost an experimental group of tips... there's a foam tip with a vented side hole, there's one wide bore that extends beyond the stem, effectively coating all the way up the IEM not just the nozzle. That one gave a great seal and sound with the Fan 2, but didn't stick in my ear at all with the Serial.

I've yet to have an experience that confirms cable rolling, each to their own ears, but tip-rolling for certain transforms what reaches the ear in sometimes very dramatic ways.
Whoops! I didn't think to order any freebies at checkout, so I did miss out. I tried the smallest Final E tips I have, also the smallest Spinfit tips, but for some reason, the Xelastec tips work better for me on the Fan 2... maybe because they're grippier than the others. I use the smallest ePro horn tips on every other IEM I have, as they have consistently been more comfortable, just not with the wider Fan 2 nozzle.

Oct 20, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #5,988 of 13,710
I've only done a bit of minor tip-rolling, but the stock tips are really nice on Fan 2. This is a really energetic version of neutral-warm (It's a little bit colored with mid-bass, so not true neutral, but there is no area of the frequency really overemphasized against the others) with the stock tips. It's very true that these benefit from the mid-bass push, because they would be BRIGHT without it.

This IEM is VERY sensitive to tips though. I can get these to be super-thick in the mid-bass and low-mids, so I'll be curious to try other tips of mine to see how I can tilt the sound. I think that's a testament to the drivers and tuning so far, that it can give you different flavors just on a tip change.

Oct 20, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #5,989 of 13,710
I am wondering how the Fan 2 will benefit from an extended burn in for those two drivers - it seems many have just received their sets and may not have had a proper burn in yet

Oct 20, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #5,990 of 13,710
Asked penon to change out my order on FAN 2 for a Penon Serial, mine was not mailed yet. Just had to pay some more. ISN V30 is probably to similar to FAN 2, and everyone is raving about the Serial.

The bass on ISN V30 is quite impactful, the 10mm compared to the two 6mm is maybe a factor. Would think the FAN 2 has the most detailed low end because of it.
Both Fan 2 and Serials are keepers. Just a matter of preference…

Oct 21, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #5,991 of 13,710
Yeah, probably. Just that I got the H30 from ISN a week ago, they use the same mid and treble drivers. Close enough sounding that a another flavour is better, Serial for now. Wish I had deeper pockets and i would have bought both and maybe even some more Penon or ISN models👍

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #5,993 of 13,710
Both Fan 2 and Serials are keepers.
6xqg5x.jpg

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #5,994 of 13,710
Received my Fan2 yesterday, been impatient and did a quick listen to reference songs before burning. Out of the box the bass is true that it is not visceral, but it has very good quality and I already find differences with the Serial. The transitions are somewhat faster and it shows in the decay of the bass. It's no better or worse than Serial or Vortex. It is different. In the rest, mids and highs, Penon's signature is noticeable. Great mids, and not aggressive highs, but present. We will see how it evolves with the burning

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #5,995 of 13,710
Penon's had my Globes for repair for over a month and no word, starting to get a little pissed off...

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #5,996 of 13,710
I couldn't decide between one or the other so I got em both! 😆 Super excited about both of them but more so the Serial. I already have the Truthears Zero and I like the 2 DD implementation. Curious to see what 3 Dad's sound like.... 🙂

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #5,998 of 13,710
I too have both. Prepare for a revelation, the Serial eats Zeros for breakfast.
Well this is certainly good news.... Lol. I'm actually more impressed with the mid-high DD in the Zero than I am the bass driver. Very natural sounding. Also, with an EQ I created for the Zero, it sounds pretty damn good.... Curious to see how much the Serial can beat the Zero with that EQ. :)

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #5,999 of 13,710
I compared the Fan 2 to the Serial because I have both at the moment and I have to pick between as keepers. I'm surprised to see so many comparisons with the Serial, because I don't expect them to be similar, even since the first graph.

I think a much closer comparison folks would benefit from, if this is their target tuning and they need to pick between options, is the Vortex and the Fan 2. Anyone have both and willing to share?

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #6,000 of 13,710
I compared the Fan 2 to the Serial because I have both at the moment and I have to pick between as keepers. I'm surprised to see so many comparisons with the Serial, because I don't expect them to be similar, even since the first graph.

I think a much closer comparison folks would benefit from, if this is their target tuning and they need to pick between options, is the Vortex and the Fan 2. Anyone have both and willing to share?
I have the Vortex. Should be getting the Fan 2 alongside with the Serial sometime next week. Once I get the Fan 2, I'll post my comparisons here. However, I do have the bass mod on the vortex... I'll try to put the stock filters back on and do a fair comparison. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back