The PENON official thread
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #6,016 of 13,866
My Serial have now approx. 90 hours mileage… this is the first set I don’t want to EQ with the LPGT (my other sets just got the fine-tuning treatment). Fantastic match it seems, even though the Calyx M is even a better source… musicality/built quality/detail retrieval/balanced sound under the same roof.

Once more thanks to @Redcarmoose and @Dsnuts for recommendation.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Moody dub tech with a nice discrete building-up melody

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #6,018 of 13,866
Hey guys, I'm coming from the Yanyin Aladdin, which were a disappointment. My Arias (with and without EQ to Harman target) literally wipe the floor with them. Aladdins just don't slam and the subbass doesn't reach me. I tried several tip sizes on them and also tried tips from Moondrop. EQ also did not help at all and just makes them more shouty instead. Am I that much of a bass head?

So right now I'm looking at the ISN H50 and EST50. The H50s are supposed to be more balanced and W shaped. Would they disappoint me the same as Aladdins did? Maybe just pull the trigger on EST50 instead?
The graph of the Aladdin seems to present a potent subbass with an ok transition to the mids (matter of tastes and interpretation).

Maybe your set is flawed… anyway, I am quite of a basshead, as long as the mids and treble are not overshadowed by the low-end.

The EST50 present a strong emphasis all across the bass segment and I can tell you that I ❤️ It! Doesn’t know about the H50 (did not listen to it), but the guys around surely will help you in your quest.

Welcome to the Penon/ISN world. There is something for you in their line-up.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #6,019 of 13,866
Aw crap wrong thread LOL
Easy, most head-fiers sharing Penon/ISN love are present on both threads anyway. I myself mixed both up sometimes.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #6,020 of 13,866
At least Penon and ISN seem to be sold under the same roof. Are they the same company? Thanks. According to Crincacle's measurements the bass of the Aladdin should be plenty but it turns out the graphs don't tell everything or maybe my anatomy doesn't match Yanyin? The shape of ISN looks somewhat similar. Could it be GS Audio producing this kind of resin shells?
My sources are Fiio KA3 and Cayin RU6.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #6,021 of 13,866
At least Penon and ISN seem to be sold under the same roof. Are they the same company? Thanks. According to Crincacle's measurements the bass of the Aladdin should be plenty but it turns out the graphs don't tell everything or maybe my anatomy doesn't match Yanyin? The shape of ISN looks somewhat similar. Could it be GS Audio producing this kind of resin shells?
Let’s say that Penon and ISN are closed parents with a well thought-after approach about their sound signature, their line-up, pricing politic and their audience/clients. The community around these two brands and their knowledge/expertise is growing up, I think. Coming from pricey flagships IEMs, I can testimony that I am completely blown away by the EST50 and the Serial lately. No shilling here, just my impressions and enthusiasm.

No idea about the GS Audio being behind the production of the shells, but I am very pleased about the quality of those on the EST50 and Serial.

Most IEMs resin shells have the same form, custom-like or « waterdrop »-like.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #6,023 of 13,866
I think I'll wait until holidays. Dsnuts told us about many new products and maybe there'll be IEMs with nanomachines? :beyersmile: If there aren't any superior products in the same price range, then the EST50 is the way.
Good plan of yours👌

« Test your subbass, texture & reverb » track

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #6,024 of 13,866
It's Official, both female & male voices, The Fan 2 handles very well. After weathering, the tuning wasn't altered, but details opened up.
B-I-T-C-G.png

With a proper seal, (mid) bass is taut...

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #6,025 of 13,866
Well, now I have the Vortex, the Serial, and the Fan 2. I enjoy them all, and was listening with the Vortex most often before the Fan 2 arrived. Now, based upon little more than the Goldilocks principle (I'm not very technically oriented), the Fan 2 seems to be 'just right' to my ears... somehow ticking the most boxes. I will continue to use all three, though, and doubt I'll be purchasing any more IEMs any time soon (or so I tell myself).

IMG_E1551.JPG

Oct 23, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #6,026 of 13,866
So I've had my pair of Fan 2 for several days now, and I've gotten familiar with the sound signature. I've come to the conclusion that its particular sonic flavor doesn't mesh with my listening habits... so I'll be listing my set soon for a very nice price. If anyone is interested before I list it, just PM me and we can discuss the details. Gorgeous shell, and amazing case.

Penon_Fan 2.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #6,027 of 13,866
So I've had my pair of Fan 2 for several days now, and I've gotten familiar with the sound signature. I've come to the conclusion that its particular sonic flavor doesn't mesh with my listening habits... so I'll be listing my set soon for a very nice price. If anyone is interested before I list it, just PM me and we can discuss the details. Gorgeous shell, and amazing case.

Penon_Fan 2.jpg

You try your obsidian cable on them? If not I highly suggest you try it out.

Oct 23, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #6,029 of 13,866
You try your obsidian cable on them? If not I highly suggest you try it out.

Will do... I'll do a bit of cable swapping later this evening. The Mix may be good too... we'll see.

Oct 24, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #6,030 of 13,866
Cable obsidian and Fan received.
Indeed, Obsidian seems to be better with Fan 2, than os133 but I will wait for a few burning hours to confirm it.
Otherwise Fan 2 are nice ... Maybe as nice as the case :wink:
For the sound, again, I want to wait a few hours but it seems different from Vortex : a little fuller and not tiring on a long listening.
For the size, Fan 2 are bigger than Vortex but, for me, the fit is good, even with a longer nozzle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back