The PENON official thread
May 13, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #4,757 of 13,885
UTWS5 from Fiio.
Thanks! I was looking at this. DIdn't know if it would have a enough gusto for Volt. And I am also new to Apple, I have heard it may not handle bluetooth audio in the most desired fashion. I expect some losses in fidelity, but if it's going to be dramatic, I'll just keep doing as I am now. I am carrying my former phone LG G8 (an excellent source for a phone). Would I being doing the Volts a huge disservice with the UTWS5?

May 13, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #4,758 of 13,885
Though they match up better with brigher sounding earphones it should mach up just fine with the Volts. It has its own DAC/ amp AKM chip inside the thing. SQ might be improved from your phone actaully. It is an excellent wireless arm to make any earphone wireless has good driving power for just about any earphone. Look into reviews of them. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-utws5.25657/review/27719/

May 13, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #4,759 of 13,885
And I am also new to Apple, I have heard it may not handle bluetooth audio in the most desired fashion.
Just make sure your wireless devices support AAC and it's close to being audibly transparent (don't shoot me for this statement please!)

May 13, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #4,760 of 13,885
Serial has landed. Burning in these three DDs now. Super excited.

DSC00456.jpg

May 13, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #4,761 of 13,885
So the Serial is easily the most mature tuning I have heard from Penon yet. It's definitely not neutral, it has the characteristic full-bodied musical midrange of Penon's house sound, but it is not as bold as on some other models, rather it is tastefully restrained and extremely well-balanced with the other tonal regions.

I feel like the DD being used for the treble in particular needs to open up some more so I'm gonna let these babies cook for a while. Initial impressions are very very good however.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #4,762 of 13,885
So the Serial is easily the most mature tuning I have heard from Penon yet. It's definitely not neutral, it has the characteristic full-bodied musical midrange of Penon's house sound, but it is not as bold as on some other models, rather it is tastefully restrained and extremely well-balanced with the other tonal regions.

I feel like the DD being used for the treble in particular needs to open up some more so I'm gonna let these babies cook for a while. Initial impressions are very very good however.
Whether mental or physical, burn in does take place for the treble. I regularly used to say the treble was the only concession as cymbals could be tambourine-y or barely there in some cases. I have no such complaints about the treble now.

I got my Aladdins back from Penon/Yanyin today (much respect to them for being trustworthy companies over the loose 2 pin sockets) and my taste or hearing has altered so that there were several things I’d nitpick about them now. However returning to the Serials for the evening… everything is more or less perfect.

These IEMs really are “keys to the kingdom” at their price. But not just at their price. If they went discontinued, I wouldn’t sell these for $500. Maybe even higher. There’s nothing I could get for the money that would do what these are doing. And it’s been quite a few months by now.

May 13, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #4,763 of 13,885
Whether mental or physical, burn in does take place for the treble. I regularly used to say the treble was the only concession as cymbals could be tambourine-y or barely there in some cases. I have no such complaints about the treble now.

I got my Aladdins back from Penon/Yanyin today (much respect to them for being trustworthy companies over the loose 2 pin sockets) and my taste or hearing has altered so that there were several things I’d nitpick about them now. However returning to the Serials for the evening… everything is more or less perfect.

These IEMs really are “keys to the kingdom” at their price. But not just at their price. If they went discontinued, I wouldn’t sell these for $500. Maybe even higher. There’s nothing I could get for the money that would do what these are doing. And it’s been quite a few months by now.
They're definitely one of the IEMs with that "special sauce" that makes them more than the sum of their parts. Musicality could be the right word, though not in the sense in which it is often used i.e. merely as a juxtaposition with "analytical."

May 14, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #4,765 of 13,885
Lotoo PAW S2 --> Penon Serial (w/ stock cable and E Pro Horn tips) = ENDGAME. :ksc75smile:

The synergy is incredible! The S2 has a bit of warmth and good note weight with such a natural tonality and timbre and really brings out the best of the Serial. They literally sound like full sized headphones, and funny thing is yesterday I was ending a listening session and I actually reached to my ears with open hands thinking I was taking off full sized headphones, only to realize I had iem's in my ears. . .:astonished: Quite an amazing iem and experience!

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #4,766 of 13,885
Lotoo PAW S2 --> Penon Serial (w/ stock cable and E Pro Horn tips) = ENDGAME. :ksc75smile:

The synergy is incredible! The S2 has a bit of warmth and good note weight with such a natural tonality and timbre and really brings out the best of the Serial. They literally sound like full sized headphones, and funny thing is yesterday I was ending a listening session and I actually reached to my ears with open hands thinking I was taking off full sized headphones, only to realize I had iem's in my ears. . .:astonished: Quite an amazing iem and experience!
Xduoo Link2 Bal also has very good synergy, opens up the stage well and enhances the analog timbre. ePro are as expected the best tips I’ve tried so far in terms of raw SQ, followed by Spiral Dots. Azla Crystals are pretty good for a more neutral sound but it loses some special sauce.

May 14, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #4,767 of 13,885

By the time you passed 500 hours, they're the In ear Headphone personification of a British made loudspeaker with awesome timbre, extremely high fidelity with tastefully coloured tones that don't divert to too much analytics, and powered by Dutch engineered tube amps.
I sometimes share some pics of full size - to give a hint on how they sound and somehow belong to that tuning family.
It is simply ANOTHER Marvel what Penon created.
Any dac dongle that is reasonably powerful will make your Serials sing - pretty much like a full size premium HP...
IMG_20220514_184626.jpg

May 14, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #4,768 of 13,885
By the time you passed 500 hours, they're the In ear Headphone personification of a British made loudspeaker with awesome timbre, extremely high fidelity with tastefully coloured tones that don't divert to too much analytics, and powered by Dutch engineered tube amps.
I sometimes share some pics of full size - to give a hint on how they sound and somehow belong to that tuning family.
It is simply ANOTHER Marvel what Penon created.
Any dac dongle that is reasonably powerful will make your Serials sing - pretty much like a full size premium HP...
Well said, and I am looking forward to passing the 500 hour mark. Nice pic too, with some great headphones and tube amp!

May 14, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #4,769 of 13,885
May 14, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #4,770 of 13,885
Mine are burning in too, but so far so amazing!

I think Serial will be the first set of IEMs that I stupidly sold, and will buy again soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back