The PENON official thread
Jan 14, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #4,231 of 13,917
Serial for me is the type of sound that initially does not wow you at first but the more you spend time listening to them, they grow on a person more and more. It starts to reveal itself and I think those are the type of IEMs that intrigue me the most. Most earphones that wow me at first loose that initial wow factor and end up not getting as much attention in the end.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #4,232 of 13,917
To my ears and with my library, the Serial is about between Harman and the Penon house sound. For those that want a beefier/warmer but tilting toward Harman-ish IEM, the Serial is probably the IEM for you. The Serial is so coherent with the triple Dynamics.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #4,233 of 13,917
Would the 3DT be a good complement to the Serial?

The short answer is yes - they are two very coherent sides of the same coin, with the 3DT doing for acoustic instruments what the Serial does for vocals.

They don’t sound similar though - for one, the Serial favours bass and lower mids and 3DT tilts towards upper mids and treble. It’s generally leaner throughout but the attack and speed of its drivers make drums and piano such a pleasure.

Apart from vocals, the Serial is an excellent generalist but I would still hand it to the 3DT for classical and jazz. In fact I found that having the 3DT made me listen to more of these genres.

The PAC480 is soooo heavy though. I have 2 PAC480s but I find I prefer lighter cables. Granted, I am moving around when I listen. If I was stationary, I would opt for the PAC480. :)

Yeah, I reckon the CS819 is probably the portable version of PAC480 anyway :)

I love how chonky cables look and sound, not so much wearing them, but I don’t get much listening time these days anyway and most of it is indoors so I reckon my ears just have to deal with the extra weight.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #4,234 of 13,917
The short answer is yes - they are two very coherent sides of the same coin, with the 3DT doing for acoustic instruments what the Serial does for vocals.

They don’t sound similar though - for one, the Serial favours bass and lower mids and 3DT tilts towards upper mids and treble. It’s generally leaner throughout but the attack and speed of its drivers make drums and piano such a pleasure.

Apart from vocals, the Serial is an excellent generalist but I would still hand it to the 3DT for classical and jazz. In fact I found that having the 3DT made me listen to more of these genres.

I love how chonky cables look and sound, not so much wearing them, but I don’t get much listening time these days anyway and most of it is indoors so I reckon my ears just have to deal with the extra weight.

Thanks for the insights. I have heard that the 3DT has a bit of driver flex and applying an Oxygen filter improves the 3DT significantly. Does this jive with your experience with the 3DT?

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #4,235 of 13,917
I have spent some time with my Serial and really happy with natural and immersive sound.

For a while I tested them with Penon Mix for deeper and heavier bass and a bit of treble extension but for me the quantity of bass was too much.

Effect Audio Eros II + ePro was great for making it more opened and focusing on vocals.

Also ISN S8 + red stem eartips packaged with ISN H40 was another good pairing for wider soundstage and balanced sound but I missed the slamming bass.

…And I’m back to the original CS819 + Sedna Short.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #4,236 of 13,917
Just wanted to share a song that demonstrates the Serial's ability to place instruments in a sound field around you. First 10 seconds is what I'm referencing; came across this in a popular hits playlist on Spotify. Also the reverb from the guitar plucks can be heard bouncing off the walls of the stage. Give it a listen on higher end IEMs and share what y'all think. Bailamos - Enrique Iglesias [Spotify]

1642217765299.png

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #4,237 of 13,917
Thanks for the insights. I have heard that the 3DT has a bit of driver flex and applying an Oxygen filter improves the 3DT significantly. Does this jive with your experience with the 3DT?

Nope, I’ve not had any driver flex with the 3DT (or the Serial for the matter) and I haven’t had to try the Oxygen filter as the stock sound works for my music and my tastes.

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #4,238 of 13,917
@Dsnuts can you give a comparison between the ISN G4 and Penon Orbit? I have had my eyes set on for a good SPC, but now the hybrid cable from ISN is also getting my attention, so just wanted to know how do they compare.

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #4,239 of 13,917
What cable comes with the Serial? One of my **** cables is failing on me. I love the Serial's cable and would like a few backups. Thanks!
Serial x PAC480

28F2C330-FC87-4757-927C-E517C1EE936E.jpeg

If the Serial’s tuning ever came across as being relatively flat or “reference” in comparison to the rest of the Penon family, the PAC480 tips it over into fun territory. Basically sounds like the stock cable on steroids. Bigger, harder-hitting bass. Lusher mids. Smooth shiny treble.

As I’ve always said, the stock CS819 cable is excellent and the PAC480 is so far the least expensive cable that has managed to improve on it.

Of course, there are cables that are going to be more refined and they are also going to cost a lot more. And for its sale price, it’s a no brainer. I have 2 of them and occasionally wonder why I don’t have 3.
The PAC480 is soooo heavy though. I have 2 PAC480s but I find I prefer lighter cables. Granted, I am moving around when I listen. If I was stationary, I would opt for the PAC480. :)

To my ears and with my library, the Serial is about between Harman and the Penon house sound. For those that want a beefier/warmer but tilting toward Harman-ish IEM, the Serial is probably the IEM for you. The Serial is so coherent with the triple Dynamics.

Agree with you guys on all fronts, superb synergy with both CS819 and Mix. The Mix is much more refined over CS819 and rightly so with its asking price. @-rowan- That PAC480 sure looks like a CS819 on overdose like you said! :)

I think both thin and thick cables has their places and I tend to gravitate towards the former, much more comfortable.

Back to the Serial, it is such a versatile and capable monitor that punches way above its weight and depending on which cable(s) we throw at it, it caters with ease.

CS819 - Leave it in stock form, sit back and simply enjoy Serial’s intended musical signature.

Neo - Find the sub bass a little overbearing and prefer a more reference type of signature with more treble energy and details? A thin silver cable is the answer.

Mix - Like the synergy of CS819 but craved for all round improvements and refinements? The Mix is it.

Flow - The best pairing at the moment for my taste, I believe @-rowan- ’s too, literally an upgraded Mix, cost as much as the monitor!

I have spent some time with my Serial and really happy with natural and immersive sound.

For a while I tested them with Penon Mix for deeper and heavier bass and a bit of treble extension but for me the quantity of bass was too much.

Effect Audio Eros II + ePro was great for making it more opened and focusing on vocals.

Also ISN S8 + red stem eartips packaged with ISN H40 was another good pairing for wider soundstage and balanced sound but I missed the slamming bass.

…And I’m back to the original CS819 + Sedna Short.

My experience with the Mix is opposite of yours! :) Curious, which source(s) are you pairing the Serial with?

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #4,240 of 13,917
Can someone compare DQ6 vs Serial, not on sound quality, of course, but on sousnd signature ?
Would it be an (big) upgrade ?

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #4,241 of 13,917
Can someone compare DQ6 vs Serial, not on sound quality, of course, but on sousnd signature ?
Would it be an (big) upgrade ?
Never heard DQ6 but Serial punches above its price point, I am in the process of reviewing so you'll soon get my take on it, I can lend it to you since we're local after I am done :)

I doubt DQ6 compares to Serial, Penon has been on the roll in terms of tuning and it probably is a huge update on SQ... the reviews I have read on DQ6 seem to feature a bit of treble peaks and a bit aggressive upper mids the Serial sure doesn't have those.

Jan 15, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #4,243 of 13,917
@Dsnuts can you give a comparison between the ISN G4 and Penon Orbit? I have had my eyes set on for a good SPC, but now the hybrid cable from ISN is also getting my attention, so just wanted to know how do they compare.
There are some similarities from the Orbit and the new ISN G4. The thicker weave of both cables are identical but not only that they both are using OCC copper type for its cores but the main difference the G4 has a graphene core that enhances the copper properties. Half the cores of the G4 is basically similar to the Orbit. They are twisted a bit differently Litz type 6 for the G4 and type 4 for the Orbit. Thickness as you can see are identical however.
DSC09404.JPG
I got word the ISN G4 value is actually in the $200 range even greater if sold by another vendor. Reason for the sale price is to spur on some sales and interest for ISN cable products.

In comparison. Both cables add a touch of fullness and stage the main difference is that the Orbit has more silver in its cores while the G4 only has half the cores plated in silver. G4 sounds just a touch warmer compared the Orbit..

Both cables are excellent for bass and mids performances as both are more copper than anything. But it is the added silver for the Orbit and for the G4 the graphene element that separates them. I would say both are comparable in ability, but it is the G4 that enhances that imaging due to the graphene element. The Orbit brings out just a bit more in the treble which makes earphones sound ever so slightly sweeter in tone. The G4 sounding a touch smoother throwing out a slightly taller sound a bit bolder sounding presentation vs the slightly wider less forward presentation of the Orbit.
DSC09403.JPG

Lol. Its too early in the morning for this. Confusing the Orbit here for the Orb!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #4,244 of 13,917
Never heard DQ6 but Serial punches above its price point, I am in the process of reviewing so you'll soon get my take on it, I can lend it to you since we're local after I am done :)

I doubt DQ6 compares to Serial, Penon has been on the roll in terms of tuning and it probably is a huge update on SQ... the reviews I have read on DQ6 seem to feature a bit of treble peaks and a bit aggressive upper mids the Serial sure doesn't have those.
Thanks for all David.
I noticed your proposition.

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #4,245 of 13,917
There are some similarities from the Orbit and the new ISN G4. The thicker weave of both cables are identical but not only that they both are using OCC copper type for its cores but the main difference the G4 has a graphene core that enhances the copper properties. Half the cores of the G4 is basically similar to the Orbit. They are twisted a bit differently Litz type 6 for the G4 and type 4 for the Orbit. Thickness as you can see are identical however.
DSC09404.JPG
I got word the ISN G4 value is actually in the $200 range even greater if sold by another vendor. Reason for the sale price is to spur on some sales and interest for ISN cable products.

In comparison. Both cables add a touch of fullness and stage the main difference is that the Orbit has more silver in its cores while the G4 only has half the cores plated in silver. G4 sounds just a touch warmer compared the Orbit..

Both cables are excellent for bass and mids performances as both are more copper than anything. But it is the added silver for the Orbit and for the G4 the graphene element that separates them. I would say both are comparable in ability, but it is the G4 that enhances that imaging due to the graphene element. The Orbit brings out just a bit more in the treble which makes earphones sound ever so slightly sweeter in tone. The G4 sounding a touch smoother throwing out a slightly taller sound a bit bolder sounding presentation vs the slightly wider less forward presentation of the Orbit.
DSC09403.JPG

Lol. Its too early in the morning for this. Confusing the Orbit here for the Orb!
Thanks a lot! I might just order it now...if only I had the cash...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back