The PENON official thread
Jan 13, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #4,216 of 13,617
I love the PAC480, especially for the price. Be warned that he PAC480 is pretty heavy and bulky around the ears.
Thanks. No problem, I've big head and ears! :sweat_smile:
Two very different earphones you are mentioning. I have not tried the G4 with the Solaris. I can tonight for you but for the Serial. I do like the a heavier thicker copper cable variants like the PAC480 but I will give the upper hand to the new ISN G4. Graphene helps with technical details, imaging of the monitor. Your not gonna loose bass definition. You will gain definition using the G4. It is unfortunate that the Solaris is mmcx. I do like the OSG on the Solaris. You can certainly try an mmcx adaptor on the G4 and see how you like it on the Solaris.
Thank you. The Penon mix is the most that I could spend right now on a cable for the Serial if it deserves it. Seeing the sales on the G4 and the PAC480 I could order the PAC480 for the Serial and the G4 for the Solaris in MMCX, or order both in 2pin, test if I like G4 for the Solaris with adapters, and order another in MMCX in a future, or save for the GSO.
I know they are two very different IEMs, I got the Solaris in a B-Stock sale, but with taxes and import, it's something that I would never do again. I love its micro detail and sensitivity for genres like jazz or acoustic, but I have to EQ it because I don't like its original tone. I've been looking for a cable that improves the original, which I have in SE and balanced versions. I return to it from time to time, although since I received the Penon Serial a week ago, I have not disengaged from it!
Thanks a lot.

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #4,217 of 13,617
Mix is a great cable a gateway into higher end cables. This being said the Solaris are very finicky with cable pairings. Just when you think you got the right cable it turns out to be a different one altogether that works better for it. I like the idea of getting two cables for the price of the Mix. You wont know which one works with what until you actually hear them for yourself.

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #4,218 of 13,617
Picture of the Serials, I have been enjoying them so far. The bass is spectacular and treble is well extended. Have about 30 Hours of burn-in on them now and listen with a treble boost applied to pull as much detail out of the music as I can. Compared to day one, the upper midrange and lower treble has been pushed forward about 2dB getting closer to my tuning preference. As for whether these are my end-game IEM to replace the FD3, I still have yet to determine as there is aspects to the FD3 that don't show up on the Serial.

Cheers from Texas!
2022-01-13_15-09-11_977.jpg

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #4,219 of 13,617
Hi everyone, does Penon usually run sales for Chinese New Year? I'm on the cusp of buying a Penon Volt CIEM but with the new year coming up I'm thinking of waiting a little. I also have seen that sometimes there's coupons/discount codes floating around, but where do those tend to come from? Thanks in advance for any help :)

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #4,220 of 13,617
Hi! New member here. I've just introduce myself on the new members forum: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-member-introductions-thread.717134/reply?quote=16761594

I would like to thank you for all that you contribute, and what I have learned from you in the months that I have been reading you.

I was also looking for an upgrade to the Solaris OG stock cable. Since the G4 has similarities to the Penon OSG, would it be a good candidate?

Thanks

An option would be the GS849 . Giving all out full bodiedness on the entire spectrum all the way to the top. The top is retained, without adding any more treble on its own, for me this is a good thing.
Compared to the stock cable, which was thin sounding all over, I hear a sense of warmth-that sub bass has better definition, not TOO warm, just the right amount for my taste. Most welcome in the mids, too. Giving it body to a rather neutral tuning from the stock. The treble is well bodied, no longer thin.
Therefore, we can say there is a very slight tint in sonic colouration,. But I'd accept this compromise - it's more enjoyable this way to my ears...
IMG_20210526_230736.jpg

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #4,221 of 13,617
An option would be the GS849 . Giving all out full bodiedness on the entire spectrum all the way to the top. The top is retained, without adding any more treble on its own, for me this is a good thing.
Compared to the stock cable, which was thin sounding all over, I hear a sense of warmth-that sub bass has better definition, not TOO warm, just the right amount for my taste. Most welcome in the mids, too. Giving it body to a rather neutral tuning from the stock. The treble is well bodied, no longer thin.
Therefore, we can say there is a very slight tint in sonic colouration,. But I'd accept this compromise - it's more enjoyable this way to my ears...
Thank you very much, I will keep it in mind. Reading your description of the sound with the stock cable, I think we totally agree. The fact is that after trying several, although up to now of inferior quality to the GS849, I could never improve it. In the end, through EQ, I have reached a sound that I like, but as you say it lacks body in some frequencies. Taking advantage of the launch offer, yesterday I already ordered an ISN G4, which I will test, but I will take your advice very much into account if the G4 does not convince me. I have other IEMs that it could benefit.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #4,222 of 13,617
Hi everyone, does Penon usually run sales for Chinese New Year? I'm on the cusp of buying a Penon Volt CIEM but with the new year coming up I'm thinking of waiting a little. I also have seen that sometimes there's coupons/discount codes floating around, but where do those tend to come from? Thanks in advance for any help :)

You can contact them directly @ https://penonaudio.com/contact.html
FB DM : https://www.facebook.com/penonofficial
Feed: https://twitter.com/PenonAudio
For the best sonic eog totl experience, I reco. the Totem cable to go with it...
:beerchug:

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #4,223 of 13,617
Jan 14, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #4,224 of 13,617
What cable comes with the Serial? One of my **** cables is failing on me. I love the Serial's cable and would like a few backups. Thanks!

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #4,225 of 13,617
Serial x PAC480

28F2C330-FC87-4757-927C-E517C1EE936E.jpeg

If the Serial’s tuning ever came across as being relatively flat or “reference” in comparison to the rest of the Penon family, the PAC480 tips it over into fun territory. Basically sounds like the stock cable on steroids. Bigger, harder-hitting bass. Lusher mids. Smooth shiny treble.

As I’ve always said, the stock CS819 cable is excellent and the PAC480 is so far the least expensive cable that has managed to improve on it.

Of course, there are cables that are going to be more refined and they are also going to cost a lot more. And for its sale price, it’s a no brainer. I have 2 of them and occasionally wonder why I don’t have 3.

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #4,226 of 13,617
The Serial is so sublime with Anime/JPop. Thank you, Penon! You listened and more than delivered the goods. :)

Confession: The Serial has completely replaced the Globe for me except for EDM. (The 2021 Hana, and to a much lesser extent the Yume, round out my regulars. The FAN still deserves the "guilty pleasure" spot).

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #4,228 of 13,617
Serial vs Timeless final verdict

Revisited my initial impressions, some of which are frankly hilarious with hindsight of burn in.

The Serial just eats the Timeless alive. NO comparison.

Now that the Serial is thoroughly burnt in, its sub bass reaches just as deep and rumbles as viscerally. The key difference is it also hits hard, like the good DD that it is. Yes, the Timeless can rumble, but it doesn’t slam and the softness of its attack is the reason why drums and percussion tend to sound a bit off. The Serial makes this shortcoming clear straightaway.

Handing the treble to the Serial as well. It’s opened up a lot. The Timeless extends very well as we know, but the Serial’s treble is so much more balanced and nuanced.

The mids always belonged to the Serial. That was never going to change.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #4,229 of 13,617
Serial x PAC480

28F2C330-FC87-4757-927C-E517C1EE936E.jpeg

If the Serial’s tuning ever came across as being relatively flat or “reference” in comparison to the rest of the Penon family, the PAC480 tips it over into fun territory. Basically sounds like the stock cable on steroids. Bigger, harder-hitting bass. Lusher mids. Smooth shiny treble.

As I’ve always said, the stock CS819 cable is excellent and the PAC480 is so far the least expensive cable that has managed to improve on it.

Of course, there are cables that are going to be more refined and they are also going to cost a lot more. And for its sale price, it’s a no brainer. I have 2 of them and occasionally wonder why I don’t have 3.
The PAC480 is soooo heavy though. I have 2 PAC480s but I find I prefer lighter cables. Granted, I am moving around when I listen. If I was stationary, I would opt for the PAC480. :)

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #4,230 of 13,617
Serial vs Timeless final verdict

Revisited my initial impressions, some of which are frankly hilarious with hindsight of burn in.

The Serial just eats the Timeless alive. NO comparison.

Now that the Serial is thoroughly burnt in, its sub bass reaches just as deep and rumbles as viscerally. The key difference is it also hits hard, like the good DD that it is. Yes, the Timeless can rumble, but it doesn’t slam and the softness of its attack is the reason why drums and percussion tend to sound a bit off. The Serial makes this shortcoming clear straightaway.

Handing the treble to the Serial as well. It’s opened up a lot. The Timeless extends very well as we know, but the Serial’s treble is so much more balanced and nuanced.

The mids always belonged to the Serial. That was never going to change.
Would the 3DT be a good complement to the Serial?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back