The PENON official thread
Jan 15, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #4,246 of 13,726
I doubt DQ6 compares to Serial, Penon has been on the roll in terms of tuning and it probably is a huge update on SQ... the reviews I have read on DQ6 seem to feature a bit of treble peaks and a bit aggressive upper mids the Serial sure doesn't have those.

Accurate. No comparison with the Serial at all, apart from having the same driver count. My main impression of the DQ6 is its hamfisted upper mids and treble tuning that can fry my eardrums from afar (and that’s saying something considering I mentioned just a few posts ago that I’m perfectly happy with the 3DT’s upper mids and treble).

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #4,247 of 13,726
Accurate. No comparison with the Serial at all, apart from having the same driver count. My main impression of the DQ6 is its hamfisted upper mids and treble tuning that can fry my eardrums from afar (and that’s saying something considering I mentioned just a few posts ago that I’m perfectly happy with the 3DT’s upper mids and treble).

Ouch they must be pretty bad then...3DT was just too much for me for long listening, female vocalists and poorly recorded tracks.

HBB is releasing a retuned DQ6, the DQ6S that should be better but I've no doubt Penon can tune better than he can and that the Serial would represent a more refined product.

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #4,248 of 13,726
Ouch they must be pretty bad then...3DT was just too much for me for long listening, female vocalists and poorly recorded tracks.

HBB is releasing a retuned DQ6, the DQ6S that should be better but I've no doubt Penon can tune better than he can and that the Serial would represent a more refined product.

Yeah 3DT doesn’t suffer fools when it comes to poorly recorded tracks. But when fed well, they’ve also surprised me time and time again with how long I can keep them in my ears even though their shells aren’t the most comfortable for me.

Oh that reminds me - DQ6 is more comfortable. There, I’ve said one good thing about it.

I’d been wondering when they’d retune the DQ6 after ZEX got the Pro so quick. Not expecting it to be any competition for the Serial either.

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #4,249 of 13,726
“its hamfisted upper mids”
Love that description

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #4,250 of 13,726
Agree with you guys on all fronts, superb synergy with both CS819 and Mix. The Mix is much more refined over CS819 and rightly so with its asking price. @-rowan- That PAC480 sure looks like a CS819 on overdose like you said! :)

I think both thin and thick cables has their places and I tend to gravitate towards the former, much more comfortable.

Back to the Serial, it is such a versatile and capable monitor that punches way above its weight and depending on which cable(s) we throw at it, it caters with ease.

CS819 - Leave it in stock form, sit back and simply enjoy Serial’s intended musical signature.

Neo - Find the sub bass a little overbearing and prefer a more reference type of signature with more treble energy and details? A thin silver cable is the answer.

Mix - Like the synergy of CS819 but craved for all round improvements and refinements? The Mix is it.

Flow - The best pairing at the moment for my taste, I believe @-rowan- ’s too, literally an upgraded Mix, cost as much as the monitor!

My experience with the Mix is opposite of yours! :) Curious, which source(s) are you pairing the Serial with?
My sources are FiiO M11 Pro / A&K sp1000m (w/CEMA Pigtail) .
I felt some improvements with the Mix and also thought it doesn't change the sound balance much. But I just like how the CS819 sounds and prefer its balance to those improvements. Just a preference:)

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #4,251 of 13,726
Never heard DQ6 but Serial punches above its price point, I am in the process of reviewing so you'll soon get my take on it, I can lend it to you since we're local after I am done :)

I doubt DQ6 compares to Serial, Penon has been on the roll in terms of tuning and it probably is a huge update on SQ... the reviews I have read on DQ6 seem to feature a bit of treble peaks and a bit aggressive upper mids the Serial sure doesn't have those.
Please make a comparison with EST50 and H50 in your review , thanks ,

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #4,253 of 13,726
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #4,256 of 13,726
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #4,257 of 13,726
Hello everyone,

Due to market demand, we received many emails requesting to make 4.4mm male to 4.4mm female Totem adapter, we made some :wink:

TotemAudio44F-44M.jpg

https://penonaudio.com/penon-totem-adapter-cable.html

:)

Last edited:
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Jan 17, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #4,258 of 13,726
Jan 17, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #4,259 of 13,726
Serial + Mix + Radius Deep Mount + Fiio M11+ really hits the spot for me. The bass has an added mid bass boost, the bore is relatively narrow but not as small as Final Type E, treble and soundstage take less of a hit and remain prominent. Briefly tried Azla Vivid, less bass more mid centric, great isolation. Will need more time with them.

Amazon Jp and DHL shipping were ridiculously quick. Ordered on Saturday (dispatched Monday) and arrived Wednesday in UK. I didn’t realise it was this easy. Another dangerous gateway for audio equipment opened lol.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #4,260 of 13,726
Serial + Mix + Radius Deep Mount + Fiio M11+ really hits the spot for me. The bass has an added mid bass boost, the bore is relatively narrow but not as small as Final Type E, treble and soundstage take less of a hit and remain prominent. Briefly tried Azla Vivid, less bass more mid centric, great isolation. Will need more time with them.

Amazon Jp and DHL shipping were ridiculously quick. Ordered on Saturday (dispatched Monday) and arrived Wednesday in UK. I didn’t realise it was this easy. Another dangerous gateway for audio equipment opened lol.

This is good news! Which Radius? the black or clear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back