The PENON official thread
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #4,172 of 13,885
Thank you Rowan, Rawbine, ehjie, and Dsnuts for all the thoughtful advise regarding my cable tragedy.

A genuine question not at all meant to stir up any cable controversy. I am having trouble wrapping my head around how if I went the route of the Totem Pigtail that will work? If I kept the OG Volt cable wouldn't it essentially be a bottleneck, as the signal still needs to go through that cable which would be of lesser quality?

If I did decide to just take the plunge and get another cable all together what are some reasonably priced options which you guys have found to be a nice pairing with the Volt that would have improved ergonomics? I am already happy with the Volt's sound, so I wouldn't want to change much about it. I also think I like the ear guides on the Globe cable, but I might only think they are desirable when compared to the OG Volt cable, because that cable is just so much stiffer. But other than it's stiffness Volt cable is very impressive.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #4,173 of 13,885
Thank you Rowan, Rawbine, ehjie, and Dsnuts for all the thoughtful advise regarding my cable tragedy.

A genuine question not at all meant to stir up any cable controversy. I am having trouble wrapping my head around how if I went the route of the Totem Pigtail that will work? If I kept the OG Volt cable wouldn't it essentially be a bottleneck, as the signal still needs to go through that cable which would be of lesser quality?

If I did decide to just take the plunge and get another cable all together what are some reasonably priced options which you guys have found to be a nice pairing with the Volt that would have improved ergonomics? I am already happy with the Volt's sound, so I wouldn't want to change much about it. I also think I like the ear guides on the Globe cable, but I might only think they are desirable when compared to the OG Volt cable, because that cable is just so much stiffer. But other than it's stiffness Volt cable is very impressive.
The @Penon Totem is the best pairing I’ve come across for the Volt by far. And, as you can see from my signature, I have a lot of cables to try.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #4,174 of 13,885
Hi guys, is there any public info about sending impressions to Penon from the US? I'm planning on getting a custom Volt but I see no real information about how to make that happen in the checkout screen. I need an address to send them to at a minimum...

If anyone could walk me thru what they did to order their own custom pair I would be very grateful. Preferably from someone that had to send their impressions in. Sadly I don't have STL files available, otherwise this would be much easier!

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #4,175 of 13,885
Trying the sedna vivids on the Volts atm. They're way softer than regular sednas, i feel they darken the sound a little bit (not a bad thing for me tho)
20220108_002121.jpg

Jan 8, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #4,176 of 13,885
Hi guys, is there any public info about sending impressions to Penon from the US? I'm planning on getting a custom Volt but I see no real information about how to make that happen in the checkout screen. I need an address to send them to at a minimum... If anyone could walk me thru what they did to order their own custom pair I would be very grateful. Preferably from someone that had to send their impressions in. Sadly I don't have STL files available, otherwise this would be much easier!
You need to contact Penon directly (email is at the bottom of the website page), I sent in STLs but I don't think it changes the price it was a while back but custom was 85$ back when I did it. If you get your prints done, try to get them scanned and you can have digital prints made as well.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #4,177 of 13,885
You need to contact Penon directly (email is at the bottom of the website page), I sent in STLs but I don't think it changes the price it was a while back but custom was 85$ back when I did it. If you get your prints done, try to get them scanned and you can have digital prints made as well.
So when you "get them scanned" is it a scan of the molds themselves? Or is it a scan of my ear? I have been able to find places that use this device and provide you with a scan of your ears, but I'm not sure if it's the same as a scan of my impressions, or if one would be preferable over the other. Thanks for your help!

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #4,178 of 13,885
I’ve decided to get Legend.
Two questions, please—
How’s the fit compared to Volt?
When do Chinese New Year celebrations begin? I’d like to order before then.
Cheers!
01 Feb. but you can start counting the holiday from 29-Jan. this is a Saturday. Mostly all will be travelling on this day and off from work Friday night...

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #4,179 of 13,885

I’ve been getting to know my Totem pigtail so let me try to explain what I think is happening.

What I’m generally hearing - across the cables I’ve tried it on, using the Volt - is that it tends to “sculpt” the sound and refine it. The lower end is cleaned up and tightened, the space in between notes becomes blacker and the contours of the sound are refined rather than sharpened.

So, like sculpture, it’s a subtractive process - taking away the bits that distract from the work rather than adding anything to it, which may be why the Totem adaptor has an effect on lesser cables.

What’s your definition of “reasonably priced”? :) Asking only because you’re otherwise only going to get 20 votes for the Totem…

I personally don’t find OG Volt cable stiff and many of my other cables are as thick or thicker, so not sure if my recs are going to be of any help. If you go for the thicker cables, you could perhaps try asking Penon if you could have them made with ear guides.

At the very least, I’d go for the OS849 (probably closest to OG Volt cable but better). My Penon gateway drug. It was a slippery slope from there.

Currently digging the pairing with CEMA Au+Ag which really plays to the Volt’s vocal strengths, but that one is slightly thicker and stiffer than OG Volt although a little easier to handle imo. I like the PS as well.

The CS819 is thinner; it’s really very good as the Serial stock cable but might still be a bit of a step down for the Volt.

The Fiery also is a thinner, lighter cable (pure copper) - should be a good pairing but I haven’t explored it in detail.

Also, CEMA sells 4-core versions of some of their cables. Perhaps you could explore those if you really want something thinner?

But if you’re really into ergonomics, I have to talk about the Leo (probably superseded in the lineup by the Leo Plus now). Even after 3+ years of constant use, it remains beautifully soft and flexible, with neither mind nor memory of its own. Sonically, it’s excellent and still one of my favourite cables. It extends both ends, doesn’t thin out the sound and adds a load of air in between. BUT it is a pure silver cable and I use it on everything but the Volt. I am a big silver fiend, but even I personally think the Volt needs at least a bit of copper to really shine.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #4,180 of 13,885
I’ve been getting to know my Totem pigtail so let me try to explain what I think is happening.

What I’m generally hearing - across the cables I’ve tried it on, using the Volt - is that it tends to “sculpt” the sound and refine it. The lower end is cleaned up and tightened, the space in between notes becomes blacker and the contours of the sound are refined rather than sharpened.

So, like sculpture, it’s a subtractive process - taking away the bits that distract from the work rather than adding anything to it, which may be why the Totem adaptor has an effect on lesser cables.

What’s your definition of “reasonably priced”? :) Asking only because you’re otherwise only going to get 20 votes for the Totem…

I personally don’t find OG Volt cable stiff and many of my other cables are as thick or thicker, so not sure if my recs are going to be of any help. If you go for the thicker cables, you could perhaps try asking Penon if you could have them made with ear guides.

At the very least, I’d go for the OS849 (probably closest to OG Volt cable but better). My Penon gateway drug. It was a slippery slope from there.

Currently digging the pairing with CEMA Au+Ag which really plays to the Volt’s vocal strengths, but that one is slightly thicker and stiffer than OG Volt although a little easier to handle imo. I like the PS as well.

The CS819 is thinner; it’s really very good as the Serial stock cable but might still be a bit of a step down for the Volt.

The Fiery also is a thinner, lighter cable (pure copper) - should be a good pairing but I haven’t explored it in detail.

Also, CEMA sells 4-core versions of some of their cables. Perhaps you could explore those if you really want something thinner?

But if you’re really into ergonomics, I have to talk about the Leo (probably superseded in the lineup by the Leo Plus now). Even after 3+ years of constant use, it remains beautifully soft and flexible, with neither mind nor memory of its own. Sonically, it’s excellent and still one of my favourite cables. It extends both ends, doesn’t thin out the sound and adds a load of air in between. BUT it is a pure silver cable and I use it on everything but the Volt. I am a big silver fiend, but even I personally think the Volt needs at least a bit of copper to really shine.
Do you have a link for that Au+Ag cable?

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #4,181 of 13,885
Jan 8, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #4,182 of 13,885
Let the serial burn in for about 4 hours on a hard rock playlist, then another 6.5 hours on a heavy bass playlist.

2nd Day: I have been using +5dB treble on TA-100 tone controls, otherwise it sounds really closed in, I'm missing a lot of treble on these. Back to back with the FD3, it is like having a music enter your ear and with the Serial its like someone put a thin cloth over your ear while listening to music. I'm not sure if this is the intended sound with these, if anyone else has a FD3 to compare to it would be really helpful, something seems off. Maybe this is a more relaxed sound, which some people seem to really enjoy. I also do not mind sending them to someone to A/B with their pair of Serials. Maybe I'm using the wrong burn-in tracks? These remind of a much better KZ AST so far.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #4,183 of 13,885
Trying the sedna vivids on the Volts atm. They're way softer than regular sednas, i feel they darken the sound a little bit (not a bad thing for me tho)
20220108_002121.jpg

How about the Bass? Increased ?

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #4,184 of 13,885
Actually @BearWant, the Totem pigtail is the
1641711046691.png
, de-congesting the signal path. With a count of (2 shares x 334 cores per share) 668 strands, that should be enough to manage any incoming signal to great effect.
After all, each Volt side have (7) drivers...
The Totem cable is a lot stiffer, true. They're like Kensington laptop cable stiff, but I do use them during travel, it's in the go bag @ all times.
I sometimes want that desktop sound whenever, wherever I want...

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #4,185 of 13,885

Actually @BearWant, the Totem pigtail is the 1641711046691.png , de-congesting the signal path. With a count of (2 shares x 334 cores per share) 668 strands, that should be enough to manage any incoming signal to great effect.
After all, each Volt side have (7) drivers...

The Totem cable is a lot stiffer, true. They're like Kensington laptop cable stiff, but I do use them during travel, it's in the go bag @ all times.
I sometimes want that desktop sound whenever, wherever I want...

We all hear things differently, so here’s my version on how I view the pigtail as part of an audio chain. In essence the Totem is a 2/3 copper and 1/3 silver cable plated with precious metals such as silver, gold and platinum in a coaxial configuration. The copper portion subjectively speaking tightens the low end whereas silver highlights the other end of the spectrum. what I believe influences the final output could be the exotic platings. Gold to smoothens, silver that tightens and platinum to give it some shimmers to whichever host cable that it’s connected to.

Ditto on OS849 if you are looking for a more direct upgrade from the OG. There’s also the Orbit and Mix for your consideration. Last check Penon does not have the option to install ear-guides on any of their current cable lineup.

If you are looking for a comfortable, thick but supple with ear-guides silver plated copper replacement, CEMA has one that is a direct upgrade to the OG, it’s fairly affordable too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001398172252.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back