The PENON official thread
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #4,157 of 14,142
New tail.

ED77FF0A-ED87-4B9F-83F6-891A75B43A33.jpeg

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #4,159 of 14,142
Nice! Is that a custom Totem?

Yep! 4.4 to 4.4, no adapting, just pure listening with a dash of Totem sauce :)

Now what shall I plug in first…

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #4,162 of 14,142
Yep! 4.4 to 4.4, no adapting, just pure listening with a dash of Totem sauce :)

Now what shall I plug in first…

VOLT! Sweet, sweet top end coming.
We can call it whatever we want.
Analogue, organic - as for me very realistic...

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #4,164 of 14,142
They are roughly the same size actually. Fit is idenitcal. I can post a pic of them side to side later tonight.

Good choice on the Legend purchase. No need for a different cable to go with them either. They sound great with included Flow cable.

Though I have to admit the Storm pairing on the Legend is epic.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #4,166 of 14,142
They are roughly the same size actually. Fit is idenitcal. I can post a pic of them side to side later tonight.

Good choice on the Legend purchase. No need for a different cable to go with them either. They sound great with included Flow cable.

Though I have to admit the Storm pairing on the Legend is epic.
No need to post pic thanks. Volt fit was less than ideal for me but I won’t let that stop me?

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #4,167 of 14,142
Received the Penon Serial today, purchased from rattlingblanketwomen! Super smooth buying process, and quick shipping! Giving it few days before sharing my first impressions.

- Out of the box: I noticed the included tips are kind of flat sounding for my taste, so first impressions will be with the Vocal Tips included with the Fiio FD3, which normally open up the treble and upper midrange on every IEM I put them on. These puppies do need a bit of power to slam, so until I receive my atom stack, they will be powered of the head amp from the TA-100.

IMG_6149.JPG

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #4,168 of 14,142
Received the Penon Serial today, purchased from rattlingblanketwomen! Super smooth buying process, and quick shipping! Giving it few days before sharing my first impressions.

- Out of the box: I noticed the included tips are kind of flat sounding for my taste, so first impressions will be with the Vocal Tips included with the Fiio FD3, which normally open up the treble and upper midrange on every IEM I put them on. These puppies do need a bit of power to slam, so until I receive my atom stack, they will be powered of the head amp from the TA-100.

0IMG_6149.JPG
Don't know how much burn in she did before selling them to you but I highly recommend a solid burn in for them. All 3 types of drivers used needs it. Dynamics in general actually. Sound should open up more so.

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #4,169 of 14,142
Don't know how much burn in she did before selling them to you but I highly recommend a solid burn in for them. All 3 types of drivers used needs it. Dynamics in general actually. Sound should open up more so.
*he, probably under 3 hours as far as continuous listening.

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #4,170 of 14,142
Changed my mind on sharing my impressions, I feel it may be better to share as I listen to them. (also I will probably forget things in a summary)

Bass Impressions: I had to share this right away, first I was underwhelmed by the bass until I plugged it into my amplifier. After listening to some rock I decided to put on "The Box" by Roddy Ricch to compare the bass response to the FD3. When the Bass came it I almost fell out of my chair, the one word I would use to describe it is "Ridiculous". It is like sitting in a cargo van filled with subwoofers and you're in the drivers seat. Extremely tight and extends very deep, when the 808 gets near ~20hz it is like a butterfly and your eardrums are fluttering. For some people it may be too much but I think it makes it unique compared to similarly priced IEMs, if you are looking for bass response this likely takes the crown. Many people have described it quite well, sounds like a subwoofer in your ears. One thing I am missing is slam, it sounds like the driver is moving so much the slam gets lost in the reproduction of basslines and long 808s, and I love my kick drum slam. Note changes are on point, instantly snaps to the next frequency in the bass. As I'm writing this "Tip Toe" by RR came on, further supporting my evaluation of the bass, easily the most impressive part of this IEM. (Its magical)

Timbre: Better than FD3, sounds natural. No Metallic shine/sheen present, very smooth. Voices sound like they are being reproduced more accurately, although I wish they could be emphasized slightly.

Treble/Technicalities: I have trouble describing treble in words, but to the best of my ability; It is clear and well extended. Everything sounds natural, as if I'm listening to a high quality stereo system. As mentioned earlier in this thread about the serial being a dark IEM. It is not a dark IEM listening to it in a vacuum, but comparatively speaking the lower/mid treble is recessed/darker than the FD3. If I had never heard the FD3 I would not have realized this, humans only realize an advantage once they have experienced something they perceive superior. Cymbal area of the treble is emphasized compared to FD3, but the treble that carries vocals and instruments right above that area seems absent. I guess it would be considered clarity, which is superior on the FD3 in terms of emphasis, Serial are superior on resolution/detail and soundstage (across the response).

Midrange: Need more time to evaluate.

Only wish is that lower treble and midrange were emphasized to sound more like FD3. Keep in mind I'm powering it off the TA-100 which is a speaker amplifier first, I do not have anything else that can fully drive the Serial at the moment. Maybe with Atom+ Stack this will improve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back