The PENON official thread
Nov 23, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #3,676 of 13,744
Each IEM in Penons line up is different with different levels of technicalities but they are all very musical sounding. Which is a house sound trait. The serial adds to the already nice line up of Penon products. It is filling the one niche in earphones that not too many have done with is a triple dynamic and with Penon tuning.

No need to hype what the Serial represents. You guys can guess the proficiency of the tuning and sound quality. The Serial fits in nicely with the stable of nicer in ears they produce. They wouldn't slap the Penon name on there if it wasn't let me put it that way.
Has serial similar dimensions and fit as Reecho insects Awaken?
Shape is most important than dimensions to me, for example SA6 doesn’t fit on my ears instead rechi is almost perfect and Aroma has the best fit ever.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #3,678 of 13,744
These seem to fit my bill. Thanks. Love the transparent design also.
You're welcome.
They're made from imported European raw material resin, the non yellowing (aka not cheap) kind...

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #3,679 of 13,744
You're welcome.
They're made from imported European raw material resin, the non yellowing (aka not cheap) kind...

It says something, my Swiss CIEM are made of 1st class resin…

CBF941FE-B0B0-4B6F-88F2-BE466343BE5E.jpeg

I will dig more infos about the Orb. Thanks once more.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #3,680 of 13,744
Another "treasure" this one..............:kissing_closed_eyes:
Happy to see cocteau getting some love on here, Four-Calendar Café is another favorite of mine. Fraser's voice is truly one of a kind.

I will post a pic against other shells tonight. I took a close up pic last night so they look more bigger than what they really are. They are more compact medium in size vs being too bulky or large. They are not even close to the size of the Blessing 2 for example. They do have a similar size to the orbs. Which was not a big shell.
I'm hoping that the Serial is the smallest of all the Penon sets, the Globe which is already smaller than other Penon's is still slightly too big for my ears. I like Penon's tunings but the shells they use just don't agree with my ears at all lol.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #3,681 of 13,744
DSC09278.JPG
Top Legend, ISN H40, Penon Orb, Shozy SCB2
Bottom Volts and next to the Serial
DSC09280.JPG
Volt orb serial H40 Legend
DSC09279.JPG
Volt and Legend are in the large shell category as they should as they incorporate a lot of drivers. Next to the ISN H40 the Serial is more of a medium sized shell as is the Orb. A smaller shell would be the Shozy SCB2.
DSC09281.JPG
So there is no vent in the front of the nozzle. There is only a larger single vent out back for the bass driver.

The Penon Mix is a clear upgrade from the stock CS819 as it should. Expands the sound, more authority and even a touch more treble emphasis using this cable. It is half pure silver so detail is even better. Half crystal copper for bass and mids to do its thing. It is a nice upgrade for the Serial.

I did a quick A/B for Fiios FH5s pro vs the Serial. Mids do sound airy on the Serial. The differences between the two presentation is that the FH5S has more lower mids especially with mids switch on in emphasis while the Serial has more upper mid emphasis. Female vocals sound better on the Serial while male vocals sound better on the FH5s. Otherwise these two would trade punches for mids definition and technicalities. Serial has a bit better clarity while the FH5s mids sound a touch warmer in tonality. Both have excellent timbre. The treble presentation on the FH5S is a hit or miss depending on what your listening to. Even though I have the LC-RC pro cable on them. The treble in the nozzle with a 8khz treble spike still can get a bit splashy so that is really my only complaint about the FH5s. The new FH9 fixes that problem and is a much more refined experience. The Serial in comparison is much more easier on the ears when it comes to treble emphasis and is seamless in the serial.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #3,682 of 13,744
Based on dsnuts early assessment of the serials I can kind of tell it will not be for me. It is kind of a shame because what I listen to is male vocals dominant and it seems as though these have less lower mids presence and less fullness compared to other iems upto this price range. I will wait for more impressions aswell but I honestly trust what he is saying here. Aside from male vocals it seems as though the serials are one hell of an iem!

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #3,683 of 13,744
Based on dsnuts early assessment of the serials I can kind of tell it will not be for me. It is kind of a shame because what I listen to is male vocals dominant and it seems as though these have less lower mids presence and less fullness compared to other iems upto this price range. I will wait for more impressions aswell but I honestly trust what he is saying here. Aside from male vocals it seems as though the serials are one hell of an iem!
I get the same impression. If you can manage the extra cost, you should look into purchasing a used Volt. They've been going for $500ish, which is excellent value.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #3,684 of 13,744
+1 on @jaker782 re: the Volt on male voices.
The Volt is somewhat the best of Sphere, Orb and Globe and the best holographic imaging out of the (3) mentioned due to more stage depth...

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #3,685 of 13,744
DSC09278.JPG
Top Legend, ISN H40, Penon Orb, Shozy SCB2
Bottom Volts and next to the Serial
DSC09280.JPG
Volt orb serial H40 Legend
DSC09279.JPG
Volt and Legend are in the large shell category as they should as they incorporate a lot of drivers. Next to the ISN H40 the Serial is more of a medium sized shell as is the Orb. A smaller shell would be the Shozy SCB2.
DSC09281.JPG
So there is no vent in the front of the nozzle. There is only a larger single vent out back for the bass driver.

The Penon Mix is a clear upgrade from the stock CS819 as it should. Expands the sound, more authority and even a touch more treble emphasis using this cable. It is half pure silver so detail is even better. Half crystal copper for bass and mids to do its thing. It is a nice upgrade for the Serial.

I did a quick A/B for Fiios FH5s pro vs the Serial. Mids do sound airy on the Serial. The differences between the two presentation is that the FH5S has more lower mids especially with mids switch on in emphasis while the Serial has more upper mid emphasis. Female vocals sound better on the Serial while male vocals sound better on the FH5s. Otherwise these two would trade punches for mids definition and technicalities. Serial has a bit better clarity while the FH5s mids sound a touch warmer in tonality. Both have excellent timbre. The treble presentation on the FH5S is a hit or miss depending on what your listening to. Even though I have the LC-RC pro cable on them. The treble in the nozzle with a 8khz treble spike still can get a bit splashy so that is really my only complaint about the FH5s. The new FH9 fixes that problem and is a much more refined experience. The Serial in comparison is much more easier on the ears when it comes to treble emphasis and is seamless in the serial.
Which among the 2 has a bigger and more expansive stage with better imaging - FH5S or Serial?

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #3,686 of 13,744
FH5s might have a slight edge in stage since it is a semi open design using a larger shell but not by much. Neither earphones are confined sounding.

I am looking forward to hearing them tonight as they would have gotten close to the 50 hour mark. Which is my base for how they are trending. they sounded more expansive than when I heard them on open listen last night so we will see.

For cable pairing I am thinking the Penon OS849 might be a great match up on the Serial. Will report back on that pairing. My thoughts is that since the OS849 is a thick cable it will bring up the lower mids to be more fuller sounding. Serial has a neutral level of lower mids emphasis more than anything too colored so the OS849 should in theory be a great match up for it. Will find out tonight.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #3,688 of 13,744
@Dsnuts Thanks for sharing your views in this forum! Can you please give me some advice? I am using 3 iems now (BL03 + Tripowin C8 + Final clear tips, O2 + KBear copper cable Final clear tips, Tea + Spiral dot tips + NICEHCK copper cable). Listening from Ifi Nano BL. I wish BL03 have a bit more detail, O2 have more bass, Tea have less treble (I'm treble sensitive). I used to have ISN H40, AK T8IE II, ER4XR but H40 was too much bass for me, T8ie ii too warm and vocal a bit recessed, ER4XR bass not satisfying... I prefer the bass amount/impact like BL03. Usually I listen to pop, jazz. Which iem(s) will you recommend me to try?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back