The PENON official thread
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #3,646 of 13,721
Can someone with other Penon sets compare the shells to the Serial? The sound signature of the Serial sounds right up my alley but that shell looks slightly big and clunky.
From what i understand from the photos included looks smaller than the ORBs anyway....
BTW......"Heaven or Las Vegas" is an absolute all time classic,nice choice........

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #3,647 of 13,721
From what i understand from the photos included looks smaller than the ORBs anyway....
BTW......"Heaven or Las Vegas" is an absolute all time classic,nice choice........
I might add a track
1637677668105.png

Building it up for the Serial.
This is going to be a "tough crowd" list

Including this, very easy to disern, the level of mid fluidity.
This is a very personal track for me. We will soon find out if it moves...

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #3,649 of 13,721
Waiting for more impressions before I decide to pull the trigger. I'm also interested if the Serial sounds good with prog/rock/metal. You mentioned it comes with a hybrid cable. Would the Penon Mix be a good match?
The CS819 is a very good intro level cable for Penon. It is equivalent to cables that cost double in price but. It is no Penon Mix. I will try this pairing out tonight for you. I bet it will elevate the sound of the Serial. I have no doubts about that.

Can someone with other Penon sets compare the shells to the Serial? The sound signature of the Serial sounds right up my alley but that shell looks slightly big and clunky.

I will post a pic against other shells tonight. I took a close up pic last night so they look more bigger than what they really are. They are more compact medium in size vs being too bulky or large. They are not even close to the size of the Blessing 2 for example. They do have a similar size to the orbs. Which was not a big shell.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #3,650 of 13,721
Tempted by the Serial, but already have the Volt so it appears it may be redundant. Does the Serial do anything better than Volt?
Not better but has a different sound and dynamic timbre which makes them have a different tonal character vs the Sonion BAs used for the Volt.
Will be interesting to hear them tonight after a day of full burn in. I do think the sound will expand and have greater presence than what I heard last night. I am a firm believer in burn in, especially for dynamic earphones so it will be interesting to hear how they turn out.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #3,652 of 13,721
Very beautiful these serial but I have the Globe.
Do you think they are superior to the Globe?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #3,653 of 13,721
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #3,654 of 13,721
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #3,655 of 13,721

This will have a different flavour, that's for sure.
I have a Globe, too. But I love Penon Dynamic driver Bass and the Fans. I need to hear how they render the mids and treble using dynamic drivers in a separate format as well...

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #3,656 of 13,721

This will have a different flavour, that's for sure.
I have a Globe, too. But I love Penon Dynamic driver Bass and the Fans. I need to hear how they render the mids and treble using dynamic drivers in a separate format as well...
If I may chime in.

Penon’s unique approach to their lineup follow a theme where each and every of their IEMs/earbuds houses different driver’s configuration. None of their models are identical in that respect. A homage if you will.

As with different driver’s configuration come different flavors though the higher up the price goes, so does performances.

My humble observation as a Fan. :beyersmile:

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #3,657 of 13,721
It is here folks, get your wallet ready!

https://penonaudio.com/penon-serial.html
Oh yeah! My order has been placed. :)

Building it up for the Serial.
This is going to be a "tough crowd" list

Including this, very easy to disern, the level of mid fluidity.
This is a very personal track for me. We will soon find out if it moves...

Here is my playlist but I think I will tweak it some for more EDM.

FWIW, here is my tentative Serial playlist:

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #3,658 of 13,721
I just got these so let me burn them in real good and see how they turn out first. I just got the FH9 too and been burning those in. All in due time.

Fiios tunings and Penon tunings are different. Fiios new tunings seems to be going for more balanced approach this year so the new Fiios are all well balanced.

The cost of the FD7 and FH9 are double in price of the new Serial. But those are not double in sound quality I can tell you that much.

The Serial has more in common with Fiios dynamic line up more than the FA7S or the FH9. Obviously. But something about the Serial that is very cool while cohesion is tops you can tell each driver is playing a role in the sound and each part of the sound has its presence in the tuning but so very much cohesive.

Bass is outstanding on the new Serial. It reminds me of the bass quality that is on the FH9. The mids of the Serial is on a similar level of the FH5S with the clarity of the FA7S. treble emphasis is more closer to how the FD7 treble sounds like. Serial ultimately sounds different more mids and bass focused with treble playing a supporting role in the tuning like I mentioned before. Unless burn in opens up the treble a bit more so. But overall, it has a great sound tuning and I doubt folks will be disappointed.

Not too many 3 dynamics and one where Penon is at the tuning. These sound fantastic at the price Penon will be asking for a set.
Does the Serial has airy mids and highs like FH5S, or is it superior on FH5S? I found the FH5S to be pretty open and airy sounding with a healthy bass.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #3,659 of 13,721
Not better but has a different sound and dynamic timbre which makes them have a different tonal character vs the Sonion BAs used for the Volt.
Will be interesting to hear them tonight after a day of full burn in. I do think the sound will expand and have greater presence than what I heard last night. I am a firm believer in burn in, especially for dynamic earphones so it will be interesting to hear how they turn out.
Is Serial less analogue and brighter than Volt?

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #3,660 of 13,721
Does the Serial has airy mids and highs like FH5S, or is it superior on FH5S? I found the FH5S to be pretty open and airy sounding with a healthy bass.
I will take another listen tonight. I want to give them at least a 50 hour burn in cycle before posting any real comparisons.

Is Serial less analogue and brighter than Volt?
Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back