The PENON official thread
Nov 23, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #3,632 of 13,596
299$. Curious if anyone can make a comparison with the 3DT.

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #3,633 of 13,596
It seems to me you're looking for a more colored lower mid full-bodied sound. that would be the Shozy SCB2. The new serial is not lacking in body for lower mids but you're looking for a thick sound it seems that is what the Shozy & ISN SCB2 sound like and those might be what you're ultimately looking for.

For you I would actually recommend the SCB2

Man, wish there was some more chatter about these. Your and Ian's impressions sound exactly what I want (thicker, smoother, bigger and more intimate sound, especially with lower mids like male vocals) but it's still a 300 dollar pair of IEMs. Not an easy purchase to make based on a couple opinions online, haha.

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #3,634 of 13,596
It's December next month, folks. World wide shipping will be in chaotic haywire.
Avoid the hassles, it's practical to express ship it.
For me, it's not worth saving if this set arrives in January - super bummer before end of year...
1637655557421.png

(just my 2 ¢)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #3,635 of 13,596
It's December next month, folks. World wide shipping will be in chaotic haywire.
Avoid the hassles, it's practical to express ship it.
For me, it's not worth saving if this set arrives in January - super bummer before end of year...
1637655557421.png
(just my 2 ¢)
444E88EC-CBFD-4849-A6F4-43CD5D815C6A.jpeg

Absolutely.

Or get the 2.5mm option if you have the Totem adapter!

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #3,636 of 13,596
444E88EC-CBFD-4849-A6F4-43CD5D815C6A.jpeg
Absolutely.

Or get the 2.5mm option if you have the Totem adapter!

Actually this is my option, lol.
And, yes use the Totem pig tail =
1637657930111.png
:gs1000smile:

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #3,637 of 13,596
Oh damn! These just came in today. SO all I can say is get your money ready folks. These are gonna fly off the shelves for Penon. Spectacular imaging and detail. Balancing is superb. Listening to them for the first time. There is no way you can tell the sound is separated by 3 drivers. It sounds like one big dynamic doing the sound. Absolutely top notch cohesion. Trebles mids and bass. Timbre is fantastic as it should be. Shells are more compact than you would imagine. Don't know why I thought the housing was gonna be bigger than they are. But the housing is more medium in size than a large. Shells are fairly light for what it is. The dynamics are encased in all resin. Superb fit and comfort
(...)
Damn. vocals sound stunning on these.
These remind me of a 3 dynamic version of the Globes. And who is not gonna like that.
Very nice shells and pics :)

And thanks for the first impressions, I loved the Globe and I am a sucker for DD count me in !

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #3,638 of 13,596
DSC09277.JPG
Oh damn! These just came in today. SO all I can say is get your money ready folks. These are gonna fly off the shelves for Penon. Spectacular imaging and detail. Balancing is superb. Listening to them for the first time. There is no way you can tell the sound is separated by 3 drivers. It sounds like one big dynamic doing the sound. Absolutely top notch cohesion. Trebles mids and bass. Timbre is fantastic as it should be. Shells are more compact than you would imagine. Don't know why I thought the housing was gonna be bigger than they are. But the housing is more medium in size than a large. Shells are fairly light for what it is. The dynamics are encased in all resin. Superb fit and comfort.

They don't have the stage of something like the Legend or the volt but is moderate in stage but has very good height and even better depth of sound. Could be due to being fresh n clean out of the package. Will report back once they get some hours in the burn. So far so good. New Serial out of the box sound stunning. Can't get over the quality the bass is with these.

It is like a punchier/ beefier bass end of the Aladdin quality wise I can clearly tell they are bio dynamnics doing the bass. Mids sound organic, fluid and imaging pops. Treble is clean, smooth and refined a touch relaxed, don't sound like it has any grating spikes. Treble plays a supporting role of the outstanding mids and bass end of the Serial ultimately balancing out the sound to be enjoyed for hours. What can I say folks Penon has done it again. So, they included an excellent CS819 cable on them. Matches perfectly with the sonics. A hybrid cable for a 3 dynamic.

Vocal test, Listening to this track now.

Damn. vocals sound stunning on these.
These remind me of a 3 dynamic version of the Globes. And who is not gonna like that.

Waiting for more impressions before I decide to pull the trigger. I'm also interested if the Serial sounds good with prog/rock/metal. You mentioned it comes with a hybrid cable. Would the Penon Mix be a good match?

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #3,639 of 13,596
Building it up for the Serial.
This is going to be a "tough crowd" list
1637669284809.png

Including this, very easy to disern, the level of mid fluidity.
This is a very personal track for me. We will soon find out if it moves...

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #3,640 of 13,596
Building it up for the Serial.
This is going to be a "tough crowd" list
1637669284809.png
Including this, very easy to disern, the level of mid fluidity.
This is a very personal track for me. We will soon find out if it moves...

Please add some classical & instrumental music to your test playlist!

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #3,641 of 13,596
Is Serial front-vented? Fan isn't.

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #3,642 of 13,596
299$. Curious if anyone can make a compari

I just got these so let me burn them in real good and see how they turn out first. I just got the FH9 too and been burning those in. All in due time.

Fiios tunings and Penon tunings are different. Fiios new tunings seems to be going for more balanced approach this year so the new Fiios are all well balanced.

The cost of the FD7 and FH9 are double in price of the new Serial. But those are not double in sound quality I can tell you that much.

The Serial has more in common with Fiios dynamic line up more than the FA7S or the FH9. Obviously. But something about the Serial that is very cool while cohesion is tops you can tell each driver is playing a role in the sound and each part of the sound has its presence in the tuning but so very much cohesive.

Bass is outstanding on the new Serial. It reminds me of the bass quality that is on the FH9. The mids of the Serial is on a similar level of the FH5S with the clarity of the FA7S. treble emphasis is more closer to how the FD7 treble sounds like. Serial ultimately sounds different more mids and bass focused with treble playing a supporting role in the tuning like I mentioned before. Unless burn in opens up the treble a bit more so. But overall, it has a great sound tuning and I doubt folks will be disappointed.

Not too many 3 dynamics and one where Penon is at the tuning. These sound fantastic at the price Penon will be asking for a set.
why all that mentioned above brings in mind the ORBs ? (which by the way i absolutely and totally A D O R E :kissing_smiling_eyes::kissing_smiling_eyes::kissing_smiling_eyes:.....)(*best bass reproduction ever*)
Serial is on their way too....
........just hoping it ll be here before Christmas................................

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #3,644 of 13,596
Please add some classical & instrumental music to your test playlist!
I plan to add this
1637671652033.png

auditioning right now with the Volts. I prefer this presentation, non forward

and this. My late grand pappy played me this when I was a teenager...
1637671912567.png

detailed, sweet rendering, very moving from this set...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back