The PENON official thread
Sep 15, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #3,286 of 13,702
Legends have such a big large sound I went with my Azla Sendafit wide bored tips which opens up the sound nicely but I also like the inversed starline tips on them too for best bass response. Wider the better.

If you don't know what inversed starline tips are about.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #3,287 of 13,702
Legends have such a big large sound I went with my Azla Sendafit wide bored tips which opens up the sound nicely but I also like the inversed starline tips on them too for best bass response. Wider the better.

If you don't know what inversed starline tips are about.

Nice! Already have Sedna tips. Which variant works best for legend, the short or regular? What about the inverted Epro horn tips recommended on this thread?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #3,288 of 13,702
Ok, those of you with the Legend, what tips do you find sound the best, and I assume larger tips would seal better? Thanks!
Large bore size is definitely required. I'm liking my JVC spirals. Short length seems to increase clarity (at the cost of some bass),.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #3,289 of 13,702
Nice! Already have Sedna tips. Which variant works best for legend, the short or regular? What about the inverted Epro horn tips recommended on this thread?
You can try either one as well all have different shaped ears. Whichever works better for you.

Never tried inverting epro horns. Might be a bit too wide. Starlines inversed are a lot like epro horns but better as they are more grippy inversed.

Sep 15, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #3,290 of 13,702
I have about 20 hours on my Legends thus far. Listening through my Cayin N6ii R01 on Medium. Using AZLA SednaEarFitLight 2 tips. I can't tell you how happy I am!
These are resolution kings, micro detail monsters. Better than any headphone, IEM I've ever heard. I hear cues, details I've never heard before. NOT sibilant, smooth treble.
They are mid focused as everyone has been saying. Not in a weird way but you can just tell. Great for acoustic guitar (Micheal Hedges) and vocals (Diana Krall "Live in Paris"). You get completely sucked in on tracks like those, it's so much fun.
Bass is VERY good. On synth bass I'm hearing subtle variations way low! On standup bass (Brian Bromberg "Come Together") the woodiness, the percussiveness, everything is best I've heard.
Air, venue clues, everything like that is better because of the resolution. Soundstage is a bit skewed I think because of the mid forwardness but not in a bad way. Here I think the MEST MK2 trumps these. The Legend is a perfect compliment to the MEST, both having their strong points. But I'm almost ready to say the Legend has more strong points than the MEST. Both are exceptional bang for buck. We just need KickAssChewGum to give us a comparison to the megabuck sets like the Trailii, etc. to see how much of a deal these are. I personally am tickled pink. I am really impressed. BTW, I've been an audiophile since about 1979. I've heard a lot of stuff!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #3,292 of 13,702
No, sorry. Everything of substance I've listened to in portable audio is in my sig below. When I said a lot of stuff, I meant audio equipment in general, not just head-fi. I've only been into head-fi stuff seriously for about 4 years.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #3,293 of 13,702
Would be an interesting comparation between Legend (13ba) and VX(10ba)

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #3,294 of 13,702
KickAssChewGum to give us a comparison to the megabuck sets like the Trailii, etc.

With Traillii in recent memory, I prefer the presentation of the midrange and the note weight on the Legend. It was this, and a few other reasons, that I never fully gelled with Traillii and sold it.

The Legend excels with its midrange presentation, as already mentioned, for vocals, strings, woodwind etc. The Legend has an aim and it does what it sets out to do exceptionally well - lush, romantic midrange where you can bask in detail with a level of intimacy.

The Traillii goes a different route, is arguably more balanced and with slightly better technicalities, atleast in soundstage from what I recall, and does very well at being a jack of all trades.

I don't miss the Traillii, but if you took the Legend away from me, I would definitely miss it.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #3,295 of 13,702
As much as I love the intimate vocals on 000, the way that 020 opens up the staging is very addicting. Sounds like there is a sub-bass boost too. Great for longer sessions. 100 and 003 aren't too special for me. 123 is engaging and fun for the electronic I've tried, but not the most balanced. I initially thought the switches would be gimmicky, but I'm finding I like having all these options. Can just switch it up with my mood. Still just as impressed as when I first put these on.

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #3,296 of 13,702
the way that 020 opens up the staging is very addicting

Switch 3 and 2 are very versatile. Having said that I tend to stick to 020 most of the time! Plays all of my library great really. 023 is just for short 'party-in-my-head' moments where I need the bass presence.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #3,297 of 13,702
With Traillii in recent memory, I prefer the presentation of the midrange and the note weight on the Legend. It was this, and a few other reasons, that I never fully gelled with Traillii and sold it.

The Legend excels with its midrange presentation, as already mentioned, for vocals, strings, woodwind etc. The Legend has an aim and it does what it sets out to do exceptionally well - lush, romantic midrange where you can bask in detail with a level of intimacy.

The Traillii goes a different route, is arguably more balanced and with slightly better technicalities, atleast in soundstage from what I recall, and does very well at being a jack of all trades.

I don't miss the Traillii, but if you took the Legend away from me, I would definitely miss it.
Hey Ian, I've seen your posts on how you generally lean towards single dynamic iem's in the past. So I think you are the right person to answer this:

I am not sure if I am using the right term here, but do you hear that "BA Timbre" when listening to the legends?

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #3,298 of 13,702
I think I might try some Epro tips (normal and inverted) and noticed there are two different variants, EP00 and EP01. Which one would be best for Volt and Legend? I suppose I could order both from Amazon, but thought I'd ask here first. Thanks!

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #3,299 of 13,702
Hey Ian, I've seen your posts on how you generally lean towards single dynamic iem's in the past. So I think you are the right person to answer this:

I am not sure if I am using the right term here, but do you hear that "BA Timbre" when listening to the legends?

Hey. Yes, I definitely prefer DD IEMs so the transition to a full BA setup was quite a daunting prospect. The most noticable change in timbre (i.e. resonance and tonal quality) was within the bass frequencies where I am used to DDs. The bass has a softer impact and a more transparent body than DD bass but at no loss to my enjoyment in my experience. The bass is done well, but is not DD. There is a particular tonal quality to the mids and treble that I associate with BAs but again is absolutely no issue either.

These are largely non-issues because of how well the underlying tuning presents the mids and treble regions i.e. not over emphasising treble and giving plenty of stage presence to the mids. They've also offset it by using Sonion BAs for mids that tend to a more warm/wet presentation to give added perceived body.

Penon have managed a full BA IEM that a DD lover like me can enjoy, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #3,300 of 13,702

Reading your post i think you would love Aroma Thunder in "Harmony" mode on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back