The PENON official thread
Mar 10, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #2,222 of 13,759
Mar 11, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #2,223 of 13,759
I have received the Penon Fan, and to be honest, I am not impressed. Although, in its defense, I haven't burnt in it yet, but the mids are sounding such that I am not having the heart to put in the effort.
I had the chance to pit it against 2 other iems, Macaw GT600S and See Audio Yume - both have more crisp mids than Fan. While I understand that those are BA mids, I still did not expect that the DD of Fan will fall behind BA so much in terms of details and crispness. Even though I got it for 69.5 USD, The original price is 139 USD, and I expected it to perform, if not better, at least at par with the GT600S. Yume is an incredible iem, which does everything excellent and possible better than its price bracket (first time I am using this term), so I am not taking it into consideration. But even GT600S has a much more crisp mids where the details stand out more than Fan.
Of course, Fan has a better soundstage depth, and even though many reported it, I have no discomfort with the highs with silicone tips. But I did not expect it to have the mids lacking details and crispness, having heard the Orb. There is quite a huge gap between Orb and Fan!

My earnest question: Does it change with burn in significantly? Kindly advise, I am currently quite heart-broken, and only the UM 3DT is saving me from falling into depression. :triportsad:

This is the test track, the snare drum rolls is what I focus on for crispness and detailing:

Battlestar Galactica Season-2 OST - Prelude To War

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #2,224 of 13,759
It’s a funny thing that sometimes it takes a few tracks to find the one that “clicks”. Maybe it’s the saturation point where the brain/ear stops listening and begins to actually hear.
I had an initial reaction to the Volt that wasn’t living up to the expectations I had for it but suddenly I can hear these as very good iems. The ESTs seem to bring that delicacy to the decay of notes and female vocals and strings in the same range have a very natural quality. It also helped to reduce the gain on my Shanling M8. Bass is strong and provides an excellent foundation. Piano tones ring cleanly with overtones. I can get that sense of smooth but very well extended.

These are very enjoyable indeed.

This is the track that won me over

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #2,225 of 13,759
It’s a funny thing that sometimes it takes a few tracks to find the one that “clicks”. Maybe it’s the saturation point where the brain/ear stops listening and begins to actually hear.
I had an initial reaction to the Volt that wasn’t living up to the expectations I had for it but suddenly I can hear these as very good iems. The ESTs seem to bring that delicacy to the decay of notes and female vocals and strings in the same range have a very natural quality. It also helped to reduce the gain on my Shanling M8. Bass is strong and provides an excellent foundation. Piano tones ring cleanly with overtones. I can get that sense of smooth but very well extended.

These are very enjoyable indeed.

This is the track that won me over

I agree, but somehow I cannot find the crisp mids that I was so sure Penon iems are always going to have, with all the tracks. I do not like the hazy sounding snare drum rolls.

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #2,226 of 13,759
Source, details???

PENON Globe

2BA + Dynamic Driver Hybrid Audiophile In-Ear Monitor

• Driver: 2BA + 10mm Dynamic Hybrid
  • Balanced armature: Knowles high frequency,Sonion middle frequency
  • Dynamic driver: 10mm bass
  • Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
  • Impedance: 10ohm@1khz
  • Sensitivity: 116db@1khz@1mw
  • Connector: 2Pin 0.78mm
  • Cable length: 1.2M

source: https://penon-official.com/news/

maybe this is a successor of orb.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #2,228 of 13,759
I got a Totem cable to compliment my Volt. I was somewhat of a cable skeptic but I feel that it has improved the sound, even though I am not sure if I will be able to distinguish it in a blind test.
My main problem is that Totem’s earhooks are very stiff (and so is the cable) to the point that my pinna hurts. Do they become softer with use?

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,229 of 13,759
Actually you are right, Volt has wider staging but the boundaries are not as defined. Volt’s center imaging is bit larger than life leading to more intimate feel (to my ears)

So More Depth on the Volts would be desirable, in order to achieve a Full on Holographic imaging?
If the notes on the Volts are v. large and up close, more depth is most ideal, yes?

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #2,230 of 13,759

PENON Globe

2BA + Dynamic Driver Hybrid Audiophile In-Ear Monitor

• Driver: 2BA + 10mm Dynamic Hybrid
  • Balanced armature: Knowles high frequency,Sonion middle frequency
  • Dynamic driver: 10mm bass
  • Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
  • Impedance: 10ohm@1khz
  • Sensitivity: 116db@1khz@1mw
  • Connector: 2Pin 0.78mm
  • Cable length: 1.2M

source: https://penon-official.com/news/

maybe this is a successor of orb.
1615569606577.png

Hopefully, very hopefully, better Depth on the centre stage.
Some comments, from the beginning of the Orb's release, the mids are not clear, mostly due to close proximity to the head, that most of listeners cannot discern clarity in the mids.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #2,231 of 13,759
Heard many good words about Volt, very intrigued if someone could compare it to CA Atlas: any ideas?

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #2,232 of 13,759
Completely different sound profiles. I only had to hear the Atlas one time to know what they were about. Big bold bass a deep V signature. CA cascades their headphones are tuned very similarly. Volts you get lush forward sounding mids something the Atlas has none of. If your looking for something completely different from you Atlas than volts will be something your probably not used to. Actually having balance. Volts bass end is excellent but compared to the Atlas they will seem bass light. Treble will sound a bit tame in comparison as well. It is the opposite sound profile of the Atlas.

To be fair it has been a while since last I heard the Atlas but volts will be something completely new to you if you end up getting a set. And in a good way.

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #2,235 of 13,759

Users who are viewing this thread

Back