The PENON official thread
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #661 of 13,933
Very busy with work. Don't think I can finish the review soon. Let me chime in my thoughts for the Volt. Tested out of my DX220 Max. The bass is extended well and there is a natural sub-bass rumble. There is fair mid-bass body and slam is very apt. Each bass note is articulated precisely with weight. Given how most of the existing EST IEMs in the market have unsatisfactory midrange for me, this is where the Volt excels with clear and bodied vocals. There is musical presentation and fowardness gives the right amount of presence. Treble has good extension. It boasts a spot-on balance of body and sparkle to the tee. There is a controlled and open top end. The soundstage has a holographic expansion with good width. The depth is not lacking too. All in all, with its electric display, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Volt. :)

photo_2020-10-01_10-51-13.jpg

thanks for the short review.

still on the fence between this and the Thieaudio Monarch.

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #662 of 13,933
Penon Volt impression here, @flu_fighter
thanks to @audio123 reviews.
Aside from the fantastic tuning, i read the magic word "holographic"...
Really fantastic tuning. They nailed it.
thanks for the short review.

still on the fence between this and the Thieaudio Monarch.
Unfortunately, I have not tried the Monarch. However, I have experience with many TOTL EST IEMs such as Empire Ears Odin/Wraith, Noble Sultan, VE Elysium, Jomo Trinity, AAW Halcyon, Fitear EST, etc. As I have mentioned earlier, given how most of the existing EST IEMs in the market have unsatisfactory midrange for me, the Volt excels with clear and bodied vocals. Emotions are conveyed well. Honestly, the Volt presents fantastic value and it is a winner. Given my track record for IEM recommendations - H40, IT00, Trio, Orb, Luna & Dmagic 3D and how those IEMs that I recommend become very well received by others subsequently, I am extremely confident of the Volt's tuning. It is a winner in my book. Simply phenomenal.

Oct 1, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #663 of 13,933
PENON has a $50 off coupon code for the VOLT, if you're one of their (free) subscribers... Good until Oct 10th... Review(s) before then would be great.

Anyway to get this $50 code through pm? I am a newsletter member but I dont see a $50 code. I want to order the Volt versus risking $700 with linsoul for the monarch.

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #664 of 13,933
Anyway to get this $50 code through pm? I am a newsletter member but I dont see a $50 code. I want to order the Volt versus risking $700 with linsoul for the monarch.
+1, no incoming mail.
most probably affected by the on-going holidays...
1601572899060.png

After these dates, all back to normal....

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #665 of 13,933
Enjoy the holidays everyone who are having them.
1601573192724.png

Stay safe...

Oct 1, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #668 of 13,933
Unfortunately, I have not tried the Monarch. However, I have experience with many TOTL EST IEMs such as Empire Ears Odin/Wraith, Noble Sultan, VE Elysium, Jomo Trinity, AAW Halcyon, Fitear EST, etc. As I have mentioned earlier, given how most of the existing EST IEMs in the market have unsatisfactory midrange for me, the Volt excels with clear and bodied vocals. Emotions are conveyed well. Honestly, the Volt presents fantastic value and it is a winner. Given my track record for IEM recommendations - H40, IT00, Trio, Orb, Luna & Dmagic 3D and how those IEMs that I recommend become very well received by others subsequently, I am extremely confident of the Volt's tuning. It is a winner in my book. Simply phenomenal.
Good stuff man! I would love to know how the Volt compares to the M.Trio?

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #669 of 13,933
IMHO, Trio stands out at least compared to IEMs I have(H40 & Orb) as it has thinner and drier vocals, especially lower vocals. That's not a flaw but rather genre specialty of the Trio. Otherwise, this is very potent recommendation. You're one of the few Head-fi reviewers, whose opinion I value highly, so please forgive me for the question about isolation.
Orb is now my go2 commute IEM. Isolation is 2nd only to Noble M3. Needless to say, however, that M3s tonal accuracy is not in the same league with $1/2 Orb.
If Volt has isolation comparable to Orb, - It can be my endgame for now. Could you please comment on that?
BTW, I searched my email and found that $50 promotion.:)

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #670 of 13,933
IMHO, Trio stands out at least compared to IEMs I have(H40 & Orb) as it has thinner and drier vocals, especially lower vocals. That's not a flaw but rather genre specialty of the Trio. Otherwise, this is very potent recommendation. You're one of the few Head-fi reviewers, whose opinion I value highly, so please forgive me for the question about isolation.
Orb is now my go2 commute IEM. Isolation is 2nd only to Noble M3. Needless to say, however, that M3s tonal accuracy is not in the same league with $1/2 Orb.
If Volt has isolation comparable to Orb, - It can be my endgame for now. Could you please comment on that?
I will get back to you on that. Cheers. :)

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #672 of 13,933
waiting patiently for Volt vs Mest, 🤤

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #673 of 13,933
Value wise VOLT already winning. Sound wise hard to imagine MEST being significantly better. But i hope I will be suprised (and VOLT is actually same level as MEST)!! But with the diminishing returns i doubt it. Its like EE Odin vs SONY IER-Z1R. Different preference, but saying ODIN is way better since it cost twice as much? :L3000::L3000:

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #674 of 13,933
Throw on a good copper cable, and the vocals with the M.Trio are anything but thin. The vocals gain body and come forward with the Impact Audio OCC Type 6 Copper Litz cable, and the newest version of Spinfit CP100 tips, and become more natural and lifelike. I really look forward to hearing how the Volt compare to the M.Trio.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #675 of 13,933
waiting patiently for Volt vs Mest, 🤤
Value wise VOLT already winning. Sound wise hard to imagine MEST being significantly better. But i hope I will be suprised (and VOLT is actually same level as MEST)!! But with the diminishing returns i doubt it. Its like EE Odin vs SONY IER-Z1R. Different preference, but saying ODIN is way better since it cost twice as much? :L3000::L3000:
I have listened to the MEST a few times. As I didn't have them side by side to compare, I cannot go into details, I think @Dsnuts can chime in on that soon. What I can remember is that the MEST's midrange is not as musical as Volt. Didn't get a wow factor from the MEST even though it is a very competent IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back