The PENON official thread
Aug 4, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #10,786 of 13,875
IMG_E4339.JPG

You're welcome
for this comparison, damn, both 10th and Moonlight seem so appealing but it's hard to tell which more. I'd like to ask two more questions:
1. Which one is more comfortable to you? Fan 2 has this terribly long nozzle, strong seal and deep fit, but on the other hand 10th looks so big, probably even bigger than Blessing 2 which I had but appreciated its comfort a lot.
You're in Luck. I auditioned the B2 a while back. I know the fit. The 10th's technique for wearing comfortably is to use a size smaller than the tip you're normally using, otherwise, will always get out of its nice fit sitting on the concha. The same technique I used for the Fan 2, a size smaller...
2. What do you think about 10th's timbre in classical music?
It is not the Volt, but you do get a healthy dose of Volt dna. In the "summer" alegro non molto, the 10th is more hi-fi than the Fan 2, more realistic compared to the Fan 2. It's the prefect tone between bright and dark and is neutral in the Mids overall. It's flowing...
It uses a higher end Sonion ba receiver for the Mids. Albeit hamonic, each instrument can be distinctive and displays some of the best reproduction in music.

What I dislike about Fan 2 is that they are overly sweet sounding and too smoothed to really show natural tone texture. Everything sounds the same on them, everything is always sweet, bass always has the same polite kind of attack and decay.
The 10th has a fantastic ADSR Prat (attack, decay, sustain, release Pace, Rhythm and timing)
Having the properties of a Detail head in ear monitor I had in the past, monotonous is the opposite of the 10th. You'll get all low level and macro details with thunderous performance.
You'll get loads of crescendo and decrescendo without struggling to discern. Not too shabby for a 22 piece, fills the massive, virtual stage, each with a space of their own...

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #10,787 of 13,875
How's the bass between the Legend and the Impact? I found the BA bass on the Impact to be pretty good, obviously not as good as DD but it was good quality.

The stage on the Impact was decent but if there was one complaint it would be the stage wasn't as big as some lower priced IEM's like the UM Mext or SoundRhyme SR8.
I own the original MEST and I would put the stage right up there with the OG Mest, it is impressively wide. As per bass, I think Penon found out a bit of a technique to get the best out of them Sonion vented BAs in the Impacts as I dont see a clear vent from the vent holes on the Bass BAs on the Impacts. The Impacts has the more weighty bass note in comparison but the actual differences for quanitity is similar. The Legends looks like it is clearly vented but the impacts seems to have no obvious venting going on. Which is probably the reason why it has a bit more in the way of mid bass punch and bass extension.

Closed vs open? The Legends again sound a bit more open including its bass end if that makes sense. Its got a slightly softer impact for bass but has mostly simialr ability, tonality as the impact bass. Very adequate for the Legends sound tuning but that could be the only real differences between the two IEMs for bass as I am fairly certian they both are using similar drivers for bass if not the exact same.

On a sidenote. You can get the stage to open up nicely with the right cable on the Impacts. Cadmus FE does just that. But thats a $1K level cable.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #10,788 of 13,875
Or just contact him to get something custom, the Astra Rame was my custom order.
Just put in a custom order. It's so custom, it's going to take about 1 month to ship, since he has to order hardware from Taiwan. :beyersmile:

Antonio is a nice guy, very easy to chat with. Thanks for the recommendation/referral.

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #10,789 of 13,875
On a sidenote. You can get the stage to open up nicely with the right cable on the Impacts. Cadmus FE does just that. But thats a $1K level cable.
Reading previous comments, I was going to say the same thing. The cable that comes with the Impact is not the best for wide soundstage. In my case the EA code 23 has done the job, and now I have a wider soundstage, and better instrumental separation, sacrificing a bit of the intimate and "in your face" vocals that you get with the stock cable. But in my case it was just what I wanted.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #10,790 of 13,875
Can someone recommend a cable that's similar to the Penon CS819 that comes with the 10th? It's the only cable that I've come across that has no kinks or memory at all. Yup, I'm looking for a limp noodle of a cable that looks good and isn't detrimental to sound quality.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #10,791 of 13,875
Can someone recommend a cable that's similar to the Penon CS819 that comes with the 10th? It's the only cable that I've come across that has no kinks or memory at all. Yup, I'm looking for a limp noodle of a cable that looks good and isn't detrimental to sound quality.

First limp noodle cable that comes to mind - Penon Leo, the softest most supple cable I’ve had for years with still no memory of its own after all this time. Now superseded by the Leo Plus (which I’ve not heard yet). Depending on your budget, the Neo is available as well with half the cores.

Not really similar to CS819 as it’s a pure silver cable (Leo Plus has gold and palladium as well) but it’s known as the “unsilver silver” around here in that it doesn’t thin the sound out like silver cables can.

Definitely not detrimental to sound quality. Adds air and extension and opens up the stage. But if you’re specifically looking to add more heft to the sound then you may want something with copper.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #10,792 of 13,875

1691253341721.png

The new ISN SCO2 is just as pliable as the CS819 and matches extremely well with the 10th. If you want a clear upgrade to your cables, the Mix cable is what I would suggest for a softer cable as well.

As you can see with this pic you can't tightly wind a cable if it is a stiff cable like shown here.

The limpest cable they got is the Penon Neo pure silver cables as it is a thinner pure silver cable but pure silver is more of a niche type cable than enhances more of a technical ability for a sound vs being a well rounder.

ISN SCO2 is just a bit stiffer vs the CS819 due to using PVC for its outer sheathing but its nowhere near stiff.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #10,793 of 13,875
First limp noodle cable that comes to mind - Penon Leo, the softest most supple cable I’ve had for years with still no memory of its own after all this time. Now superseded by the Leo Plus (which I’ve not heard yet). Depending on your budget, the Neo is available as well with half the cores.

Not really similar to CS819 as it’s a pure silver cable (Leo Plus has gold and palladium as well) but it’s known as the “unsilver silver” around here in that it doesn’t thin the sound out like silver cables can.

Definitely not detrimental to sound quality. Adds air and extension and opens up the stage. But if you’re specifically looking to add more heft to the sound then you may want something with copper.

1691253341721.png
The new ISN SCO2 is just as pliable as the CS819 and matches extremely well with the 10th. If you want a clear upgrade to your cables, the Mix cable is what I would suggest for a softer cable as well.

The limpest cable they got is the Penon Neo pure silver cables as it is a thinner pure silver cable but pure silver is more of a niche type cable than enhances more of a technical ability for a sound vs being a well rounder.

ISN SCO2 is just a bit stiffer vs the CS819 due to using PVC for its outer sheathing but its nowhere near stiff.
Thanks for the recommendations! I'm a bit hesitant on spending too much on cables since I'm new to the hobby and I'm not sure if my ears will be able to tell the differences. I might just pick up the CS02 based off of looks and price for now.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #10,795 of 13,875
Night Oblivion Butastur has just released on Penon. 10BA, balanced, 'unenhanced', QDC-like tuning inspired by the VX, prioritising micro over macro and tuned for instrumental lovers. Trusting in the ear of the tuner on this one, while hoping to see more grass roots projects in the future offering value in the midfi market. Order placed.

Batasturfr.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #10,796 of 13,875

Hadn’t realised the SCO2 was that soft. Just going by looks I thought it might handle like the Nicehck Blacksoul.

Night Oblivion Butastur has just released on Penon. 10BA, balanced, 'unenhanced', QDC-like tuning inspired by the VX, prioritising micro over macro and tuned for instrumental lovers. Trusting in the ear of the tuner on this one while hoping to see more grass roots projects in the future offering value in the midfi market. Order placed.

Batasturfr.jpg

Any sound impressions anywhere?

Aug 5, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #10,797 of 13,875
Hadn’t realised the SCO2 was that soft. Just going by looks I thought it might handle like the Nicehck Blacksoul.

Any sound impressions anywhere?

None thus far. Expect a sound much like the graph suggests, well extended, airy, largely uncoloured. I'm hoping technically the imaging is up to par and sound stage is decent (doesn't have to be huge). Comfort looks very good utilising a custom pressure relief system and a shell that's smaller than many 10BA competitors. I'll post my impressions towards the end of next week.

Aug 5, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #10,799 of 13,875
Back to basics here. Penon Tail + Final E500 = compact budget soundstage goodness under $100 for the whole thing. Tail throws out good width and depth and the E500 has crazy good imaging and soundstage as well as natural timbre. Thought I was done with dongles but apparently not after all.

IMG_7852.jpeg

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #10,800 of 13,875
Can someone describe in more detail the fit of the Fan 2?
How deep does it need to go for a good fit? I'm used to KZ earphones & Tin HiFi T3 Plus.

My favorite earphones usually have a wing at the top and clip into my ears & never budge.
This Fan 2 looks like it may not fit flush with the ear which would prevent any hope of it clipping in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back