The PENON official thread
Aug 3, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #10,741 of 13,875
There is no incentive to actually spend your time and write a review unless you have a passion for the hobbie and want to share both the great finds and the duds. To bring awareness to people to help make a decision to spend our hard earned $$$. I got caught a few times and still to this day get caught up in some hyped up IEM only to find out its not for me- AFÛL P8 for example.

That's why I started to help , most times 90% I buy my own gear and sometimes I get a freebie.

I just posted my review of the TURBO and gave it 5* Why because I think its terrific and my favorite Penon, even over the 10th.
My reviews all state whether I paid for mine or was loaded to me or given a sample.
Not that I think that makes a difference but yes for the sake of transparency I have no issues with that.

I have been giving out high marks lately for IEM's I have chosen. Because well they deserved it and were worthy. SR5, Neo5, 10th anniversary and the TURBO,

At the same time I also had the U12t and FîR Audio Xe6 both amazing so was the FATFreq Grand Maestro and gave them glowing reviews.

Guilty of not posting the bad ones or doing a review well because not worth my time , I think alot of people who write or are content creators get caught up in that trap and makes you look like a shill only posting the good stuff.

My $0.02 TDM

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #10,742 of 13,875
If it matters to anybody I was not talking about formal reviews where one specifically goes to read an opinion from a known reviewer. In those instances the source of the reviewed item is usually stated and if not it is a reasonable expectation that it has been provided for the review at no cost and may or may not be sent back after the review.

I was referring to direct involvement with normal Joes like myself in a public forum situation where there is direct banter back and forth and the assumption is (unless you have been advised otherwise) that you are talking with somebody essentially like you only who is far more involved in the hobby and is happy to spend a pile of money to try every new item.

To my mind those are entirely different situations and I was seeking clarity on the latter.

No criticism intended, I don't care if that is what is happening and I am in no way calling anybody a shill despite some stern comment to the contrary.

However, I do think I am perfectly entitled to be made aware that the guy talking up a $1,000 cable has been given the cable for nothing to play with and talk about here with schmucks like me.

If you don't agree that is absolutely fine, we all have opinions and the above is mine.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #10,743 of 13,875
Aug 3, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #10,744 of 13,875
If it matters to anybody I was not talking about formal reviews where one specifically goes to read an opinion from a known reviewer. In those instances the source of the reviewed item is usually stated and if not it is a reasonable expectation that it has been provided for the review at no cost and may or may not be sent back after the review.

I was referring to direct involvement with normal Joes like myself in a public forum situation where there is direct banter back and forth and the assumption is (unless you have been advised otherwise) that you are talking with somebody essentially like you only who is far more involved in the hobby and is happy to spend a pile of money to try every new item.

To my mind those are entirely different situations and I was seeking clarity on the latter.

No criticism intended, I don't care if that is what is happening and I am in no way calling anybody a shill despite some stern comment to the contrary.

However, I do think I am perfectly entitled to be made aware that the guy talking up a $1,000 cable has been given the cable for nothing to play with and talk about here with schmucks like me.

If you don't agree that is absolutely fine, we all have opinions and the above is mine.
I think most everyone who gets anything for free in exchange for a review, or banter, admits this upfront. At least, I see lots of admissions to this from those guys.

The rest of us, I think, are happy to receive the release discounts and hope we'll be happy with what we purchase. When we are, we banter about it, when we're not, I at least, sell it on classifieds knowing someone else probably does like it.

Thus far, I've not sold any Penon item, all of which I bought with discounts obtained by giving them my email address, but discounts largely reported about and taken advantage of by many/most on this thread. Putting that all together, my banter is based solely on my experience for something I paid for.

I think that's most of us Penon enthusiasts in this thread except where they say otherwise (and some do).

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #10,745 of 13,875
I think most everyone who gets anything for free in exchange for a review, or banter, admits this upfront. At least, I see lots of admissions to this from those guys.

I think that's most of us Penon enthusiasts in this thread except where they say otherwise (and some do).

I absolutely get what you are saying in principle but before I hesitantly made my initial comment on this matter I had a look back over a bunch of photos and comments from the several notable folks here that I am querying.

Maybe I overlooked something but I did not see a single comment indicating that they got this item for free to chat about here and help drive sales.

Anyway, I am obviously bashing my head against a brick wall here, I have asked the question, stated my reasons why, time to leave you all to it.

Aug 4, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #10,746 of 13,875
My thoughts on reviewers and promotion.

So far, due to the commitment of other Hi friends of my "Heimat" forum in Germany, I have been able to listen to many, including top-class, IE and headphones. Of course I also benefited from the many reviews there and here on Headfi.
Now I myself have organized a round trip together with Penon. Simply because I like their products and I wanted to hear this flagship IE and give others the same opportunity.

So this is my advantage: I can test this excellent IE at home in peace and in return I can share my thoughts with other HiFi friends.

Aug 4, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #10,747 of 13,875
Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #10,749 of 13,875
Aug 4, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #10,750 of 13,875
In the light of the heated discussion, I am curious if there are Penon products that would not get a recommendation from the regulars here?

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #10,751 of 13,875
Always a bummer to see these UK deals... Would've jumped for sure

That green looks gorgeous
I could potentially ship to Norway, but you’d have to cover the additional postage cost. I have no idea how much I t would cost to be honest. I’m happy to cover the cost of special delivery in the UK which is just over £7.

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #10,753 of 13,875
My thoughts on reviewers and promotion.

So far, due to the commitment of other Hi friends of my "Heimat" forum in Germany, I have been able to listen to many, including top-class, IE and headphones. Of course I also benefited from the many reviews there and here on Headfi.
Now I myself have organized a round trip together with Penon. Simply because I like their products and I wanted to hear this flagship IE and give others the same opportunity.

So this is my advantage: I can test this excellent IE at home in peace and in return I can share my thoughts with other HiFi friends.

I think this is great, as well as all the information available on this thread. My take is that all @BS5711 was asking for was disclosure. This seems reasonable to me.

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #10,754 of 13,875
I could potentially ship to Norway, but you’d have to cover the additional postage cost. I have no idea how much I t would cost to be honest. I’m happy to cover the cost of special delivery in the UK which is just over £7.
I promised myself I'd wait till I get the 10th before taking the dive. I'll let you know if it's still available!

Meanwhile... 10th is still in transit limbo and the post office has no explanation for why it's taking so long :sweat:

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #10,755 of 13,875
I promised myself I'd wait till I get the 10th before taking the dive. I'll let you know if it's still available!

Meanwhile... 10th is still in transit limbo and the post office has no explanation for why it's taking so long :sweat:
Already sold anyway buddy. Nightmare for your 10AE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back