The PENON official thread
Aug 3, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #10,726 of 13,875
It is the materials that make up a cable itself that has the biggest influence on how one hears an effect on a sound profile using a cable but the plug can also have an effect. It is subtle more than the main dish sort to say. But its there. It may seem like snake oil but if you folks have ever ordered a cable from a boutique cable maker they will charge you extra for certain type of accessories and plugs on a cable. Aesthetics usually comes first but functionality overall not really much differnces from the standard gold plated copper plug vs any of the other exotic metal coating offerings.

Just my opinion but the plug has maybe 2-5% overall influence on how the overal performance of a cable might be. Are you going to hear that difference between a standard gold plated cable vs a Rhodium plated one? Maybe, maybe not. But at least its an option for folks that want the absolute best for what a cable can do. I was told from a friend who is an engineer and cable maker that the solder they use can have an affect on the cable as well.

Maybe this is the real differences are between a lower end cable vs the higher end one. I have done some reviews for Effect Audio and they dont have anything on their line up I would consider budget level cable wise and those guys always use the highest end components but for the price, they should.

The plug thing, its like getting a nicer looking hood for your car vs the standard one but also serves a function to inclued better air vents that allows more air to your engine. Same type of idea.

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #10,727 of 13,875
People were also 'hearing' the difference between the JVC HA-FD01 metal inserts. And then someone measured them and they were all exactly the same. If people are permitted to promote something, I believe people should be permitted to challenge the claims. And as stated, I would bet my entire life savings that nobody on earth would truly be able to tell the difference between the two platings.
Measurement isn't the end all, be all when it comes to sound.

Just like how I hear many differences in sound that's different from what graphs show.

To some people, measurements is all that matters. To most knowledgeable audiophiles, their ears are the actual arbiter of opinions.

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #10,728 of 13,875
People were also 'hearing' the difference between the JVC HA-FD01 metal inserts. And then someone measured them and they were all exactly the same. If people are permitted to promote something, I believe people should be permitted to challenge the claims. And as stated, I would bet my entire life savings that nobody on earth would truly be able to tell the difference between the two platings.
I'll get a chance to test this theory soon as I have a CSO2 and a generic version otw.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #10,729 of 13,875
I am hesitant to even ask this because I am sure it will be misconstrued so I will try to be as clear as possible.

Do any of the very active folks in the Penon forum get some sort of financial incentive or assistance from Penon ?

I ask because several seem more involved in this thread and brand than seems typical.

No problem if that is the case but I think disclosure would be appropriate if others are using the information and opinions put forward as a guide on how to spend their own sometimes hard earned money.

To me some level of “sponsored” input becomes a form of advertising that I think others should be aware of.

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #10,730 of 13,875
Na headfi dont allow paid sponsorship or affiliates to post stuff on headfi without proclaiming "Member of the trade."

There are lots of Penon fans on this thread hence this is the Penon thread. It may look like that from a random persons perspective but no one here including myself has gotten a penny from Penon to post a thing here. Penon sends review samples to a lot of the reviewers on headfi to get their input and a written review but that is no different than IFI, Fiio, Shanling, Ibasso, Dunu, Simgot, moondrop, Letshuoer, Effect Audio, NiceHCK, Linsoul, KB EAR ect ect sending their items to reviewers to review.

Unsaid rule about review samples. All of the review samples are the property of the manufacturers or companies that send the items. I have had numerous occasions when said vendor would want me to send back a particular item or compare and item to another. So there is no real incentive for a reviewer monitary wise as the review item should never be sold for monetary purpose. Headfi bans reviewers that get samples and turns those into sold items on another site to make some sort of money. I know a few reviewers that got caught doing this and was banned from headfi immediately. That is very frowned upon.

So in the end. A thread that is very popular with a lot of patrons on headfi is due to numerous folks that are fans of their goods. Penon has built a solid reputation for excellent sounding goods with outstanding business practices. Hence the existence of this thread.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #10,731 of 13,875
I am hesitant to even ask this because I am sure it will be misconstrued so I will try to be as clear as possible.

Do any of the very active folks in the Penon forum get some sort of financial incentive or assistance from Penon ?
I’m fairly active here and have absolutely no incentive beyond enthusiasm. The Penon house sound really matches my taste, and my experience with their customer services has been impressive by any standard.

Dsnuts and the others here have led me to some great products, and their advice has been invaluable in my personal audio journey. Honestly, I hope they get free samples or similar as they are great ambassadors for the brand.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #10,732 of 13,875
Na headfi dont allow paid sponsorship .........

............... Penon sends review samples to a lot of the reviewers on headfi to get their input and a written review but ................

Unsaid rule about review samples. All of the review samples are the property of the manufacturers or companies that send the items. ..................

OK, the saliant point being that Penon do send you and probably several other folks here products to review at no cost that logically on a lot of occasions stay in their possession so they can use them for later comparison reviews for example. It isn't hard to figure out who the others folks are, it is kind of obvious looking at the level of participation and the type of content they provide.

That isn't a monetary incentive of course but it is the "assistance" I mentioned.

That is 100% fine, no problem.

I think it just appropriate that I and other regular Joes understand that as it definitely alters my perception of some of the highly enthusiastic comments about Penon gear, right or wrong that is my position, I obviously can't talk for others.

Like I said, I don't want to stir up any trouble, it just became somewhat apparent that is what was happening and if it was I wanted to be aware of that so that I could weigh that into my judgement as I saw fit.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #10,733 of 13,875
OK, the saliant point being that Penon do send you and probably several other folks here products to review at no cost that logically on a lot of occasions stay in their possession so they can use them for later comparison reviews for example. It isn't hard to figure out who the others folks are, it is kind of obvious looking at the level of participation and the type of content they provide.

That isn't a monetary incentive of course but it is the "assistance" I mentioned.

I think it just appropriate that I and other regular Joes understand that as it definitely alters my perception of some of the highly enthusiastic comments about Penon gear, right or wrong that is my position, I obviously can't talk for others.

Like I said, I don't want to stir up any trouble, it just became somewhat apparent that is what was happening and if it was I wanted to be aware of that so that I could weigh that into my judgement as I saw fit.
If it's so obvious to you, then why ask? Not trying to stir up trouble, eh? Right...

Of course Penon's special promoters get early "samples" so they can review them and give their opinions about them. If you think they're too enthusiastic and implying they're shills, then ignore their first impressions, reviews, and opinions.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #10,734 of 13,875

Let me tell you even if I didnt start this thread. Someone in the discovery thread would have.

We all are here to learn of whats good and bad and this so happens to be based on Penon goods on this thread. No one here is paid to say or post anything rearding Penon items at all. While there might be incentive for a reviewer to say postive stuff about a product. If you look at the actual items and what Penon offers for the enthusiast. Everything they make got direction and a purpose. Reason why you read a lot about the Penon house sound. I review much more than Penon goods on headfi. All the vendors I listed above sends me their good to review and I have no allegence to any of them. I am a normal shmo and work a 9-5 job. Its just that what you get from Penon in todays market is more than fair at the prices they offer these goods at to the enthusiast.

This is coming from someone that has a good idea what to expect at every price levels for IEM sound. To me if your spending $10 or $100 or $1,000. It better be worth that money. Show me an item you guys got from Penon you felt was not worth what you paid. And this is compared to similar items you get from other vendors.

If the value is not there then it is simple no need to read posts from a bunch of fans of the products. If you own a few Penon goods you will know what I am talking about. I have built a reputation on headfi for bringing attention to value items in the market. This is the entire reason for the existence of the discovery thread. And if Penon is not feautred on the threads of headfi than show me a better deserving vendor.

Not to sound like I am defending them as thier goods more than speak for themselves. When you get one or two or three reviewers all claiming something sounds good. Maybe the collective group of folks that listen to a lot of IEMs knows a thing or two about what they are hearing and saying about the IEM. In the end it is up to you to believe in what your reading about a product or not. Don't just read one or two reviews. Read all of it. read what the guys are saying about the sound and how it is compared to the others they frequently compare on their readers. ANY of you guys that read this don't have to be a fan of Penon or anything I personally write. Hear their stuff for yourself if your curious. If you dont like it. Sell it and move on. AS they say onward and upward.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #10,735 of 13,875
If it's so obvious to you, then why ask? Not trying to stir up trouble, eh? Right...

Of course Penon's special promoters get early "samples" so they can review them and give their opinions about them. If you think they're too enthusiastic and implying they're shills, then ignore their first impressions, reviews, and opinions.

I asked because I didn't want to just assume.

I wasn't implying anything, I in fact said I was 100% OK with it, I just thought it was appropriate that there was some transparency.

Your comments are exactly what I was talking about in my first query in terms of being hesitant to ask.

I meant entirely what I said and only that, please don't read anything else into this.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #10,736 of 13,875
I asked because I didn't want to just assume.

I wasn't implying anything, I in fact said I was 100% OK with it, I just thought it was appropriate that there was some transparency.

Your comments are exactly what I was talking about in my first query in terms of being hesitant to ask.

I meant entirely what I said and only that, please don't read anything else into this.
You're hesitant about implying there are Penon shills in here. The "obvious" ones who make "highly enthusiastic" comments and receive "financial incentive or assistance from Penon."

You know what you're doing bro. No need to dance around it and pretend you're not inquiring about or calling out shills.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #10,737 of 13,875
Let me tell you even if I didnt start this thread. Someone in the discovery thread would have.

................ While there might be incentive for a reviewer to say postive stuff about a product..................

That is pretty much the beginning and the end of my point and all I was seeking transparency on.

I am free to use that information in my judgement in a manner that I believe is appropriate as are others.

I do not see any harm in asking for clarity on the matter, if others do that is to bad.

Thank you.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #10,738 of 13,875
You're hesitant about implying there are Penon shills in here. The "obvious" ones who make "highly enthusiastic" comments and receive "financial incentive or assistance from Penon."

You know what you're doing bro. No need to dance around it and pretend you're not inquiring about or calling out shills.

Yeah no, I meant only what I said.

If I am going to read about Penon or any other products on a specific public forum like this one with just a bunch of regular Joes that pay for their own gear chatting about that gear and not having specifically sought out a formal review where I expect that goods have been sent out free of charge then I think it is reasonable for me to understand that the person I am talking to about the item might have, as indicated by Dsnuts above ..... "an incentive for a reviewer to say positive stuff about a product".

If you want to insist that I mean they are shills that is on you. You have no idea of who I am or my personality so your judgement is being based on some frame of reference that you are extending to me without any clue if it is fair or otherwise.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #10,739 of 13,875
I like music. Who's with me??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back