The PENON official thread
Jul 12, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #10,366 of 14,143
DSC01281.JPG

This is something for you guys to read. The Turbo is whats next. I initially had a few paragraphs written down which turned out to be something like 6 pages worth of script. I ended up just posting it on the review section. Happy reading. You are looking at Penons 1st ever BASSHEAD IEMS! https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-turbo.26608/reviews#review-31233
82FA72D4-A105-444F-9A1C-E57127FFAEB6.gif

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #10,367 of 14,143
Gosh, i wonder how the Turbo would be priced. Also, why on earth does Penon/ISN keeps releasing many bangers when i'm so broke 😂

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #10,368 of 14,143
Great review as always @Dsnuts . Sounding more and more like it’s taking on the Diva.

How does the quality of its BA bass (with switch off) compare with something like the Impact’s?
Its pretty shocking as it can go from a moderate bass emphasis at around 8dbs of bass all the way to 20 dbs of total bass. At its moderate base levels the bass performance is at a similar level to the impacts. It wouldn't surprise me if the Turbo is using the same bass BAs. I think the advantage of using 2 sets vs 1 on the Turbo for the impacts is it gets you a touch more physicality and rumble at the same db level as the turbo. It is kinda like the idea behind using two micro dynamics for the 10th anniversary bass. Of course when you pump an additional 10 dbs worth of bass emphasis that easily makes up for not having another dual Sonion BA.

I am astonished these BAs can pump out so much bass with a flick of a switch. By the way I am fairly certain Penon has the new record for how much bass the new Turbo pumps out via switch. I think previous In ear Prophile 8 had around 5dbs.

The turbo is not just one level bass either. With the regular tuning switches you get varying degrees of bass. 1 bass swtich you get around 4 dbs over the base tuning. 2 switch you get about 2 dbs and treble switch you get a least amount of bass which enhances the balance toward trebles. It is when you turn on that turbo switch you get a big boost for all of it. Adding 5 plus dbs of bass on top of the turning switches or if turned on by itself adds a crazy 8 -10 dbs of bass over the base tuning.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #10,369 of 14,143
A bit too many options for the Turbo in my opinion. I am sure it will find its audience. I prefer to stick to one setting / the best setting for me if there are switches available.

Looks like the next model will have the whole frequency range presented in switches on the actual iem. I would still prefer EQ my sets but understand users who dont like it or not bother to even try. The EQ is still more precise tool and perhaps even easier to use if you have the right soft for it. In my case the switches are not needed at all.

Would like to see in future companies actually tuning your new iem exactly according your taste plus of course custom design and custom cable. Lets hope somebody will figure this out soon :)

Jul 12, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #10,370 of 14,143
A bit too many options for the Turbo in my opinion. I am sure it will find its audience. I prefer to stick to one setting / the best setting for me if there are switches available.

Looks like the next model will have the whole frequency range presented in switches on the actual iem. I would still prefer EQ my sets but understand users who dont like it or not bother to even try. The EQ is still more precise tool and perhaps even easier to use if you have the right soft for it. In my case the switches are not needed at all.

Would like to see in future companies actually tuning your new iem exactly according your taste plus of course custom design and custom cable. Lets hope somebody will figure this out soon :)
For me I’m only into the use of switches 1/2 way. The bad 1/2........set-ups are when moving buttons seem to flounder in different levels of mediocrity. Seemingly wrong and in-effective, to never to hit gold, no matter what the setting. But this set-up looks to actually work here?

Also it’s because amounts of bass (wanted) are subjective.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #10,372 of 14,143
bss.png

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #10,374 of 14,143
Penon Turbo is now up on the website, 499usd.
https://penonaudio.com/penon-turbo.html

While I find it interesting I have saved up for something else and have to skip this one, would have loved to try it and also write a review for it.

1689319392201.png

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #10,375 of 14,143
I avoided commenting on the Bass cable’s sound earlier because I was struggling a bit to find synergy I liked. None of it was actually bad but sonically nothing felt like a particularly good match at first, at least not enough to override the obvious ergonomic challenges. 10th, Impact, Volt, F2 all went by… and then BAM, I landed on it.

IMG_6955.jpeg

GLOBE.

Penon at its unapologetically musical best. This is what they mean when they say something is built for pleasure, not for speed.

The Bass cable keeps the Globe’s sub bass intact, seamlessly leading to that lush mid bass which in turn rises into those rich, rich liquid mids. If you loved the Globe for its emotive vocals and mids in general, this cranks it up to 11. If anything, it makes the Globe more Globe.

The Bass cable doesn’t let you forget that you’re wearing it, but even so I had to check, because it sure seems like it’s doing Vocal duties as well.

A few words about my relationship with Globe. It still has a lot of fans here and it is still my daily bass monitor, but for those who don’t know, I struggled to like it at the very beginning. The DD bass that seemed half a step behind, the niggling coherency issues. The more obvious and conventional approach would be to pair it with a more “technical” cable to tighten it up.

The Bass cable takes the opposite tack and lets it loose. Seems counter-intuitive but it works. The Globe’s tuning is led by its lower mids and mid bass and the Bass leans hard into that, building up the supporting frequencies rather than trying to subtract anything.

It’s like the meeting of two friends with the same propensity for getting into trouble. You know they’re not going to do the “right” thing, but it sure is going to be fun 🤘

Happy weekend, everyone.

Fight Bass with BASS as a fellow member once said! MOAR bass!

BASS along with VOCAL I found are not your typical jack of all trades cable but when it matches, it matches real good.

Paired superbly with the 10th and now Globe!

TURBO with BASS will be MEGA!

70A96C59-5B0A-4EFE-8FEE-431BD3D92B35.jpeg

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #10,376 of 14,143
Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #10,377 of 14,143
Penon Turbo is now up on the website, 499usd.

While I find it interesting I have saved up for something else and have to skip this one, would have loved to try it and also write a review for it.

1689319392201.png
Not one, not two..............but three switch tools included!
4jZv.gif
Toothpick is my pick! :smile:

Anyways… check out Mr. Hui’s favorite switch combo!

p.s. I got the bass all wrong… it’s SUPER BASS

D6853EC0-CF6C-4A79-96BE-F4F09BAA23A1.jpeg

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #10,378 of 14,143
Toothpick is my pick! :smile:

Anyways… check out Mr. Hui’s favorite switch combo!

p.s. I got the bass all wrong… it’s SUPER BASS

D6853EC0-CF6C-4A79-96BE-F4F09BAA23A1.jpeg
Read about Mr. Hui’s preference already on Facebook.

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #10,379 of 14,143
Just received the Penon 10th Anniversary Special Editions in. They look way different in the hand than in photos. In person they are darker and look more expensive? Room light makes them appear slightly understated yet still offering a festive flair. Funny I knew that they would look different than in photos, though I didn’t know exactly how they would look? They look to be way more than $499 IEMs. The sound, not as V-shaped as expected, but very good technicality and full-sounding. Your mind always exaggerates what is read prior. Time to put them on the burn-in rig!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #10,380 of 14,143
Did anyone try Penon Tail with Macbooks with Apple Silicons?
For some unknown reason, my stopped working correctly with Macbook Air M1. Whenever I connect it to the Macbook, the left or right side of the earphone randomly has no sound. I tried different cables and rebooted my Mac and got the same result. I was disappointed with a Penon QC. :slight_frown:
Also, with some cables, when the iPhone battery lowers to 20% or less, the 3.5mm jack output starts muting randomly left or right channel. Not sure, is it my only unit or the firmware bug.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back