The PENON official thread
Aug 11, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #5,446 of 13,646
Well just the white filter inside the vent port. It's a small little thing that takes almost nothing to take it out.

But do this only if you feel like u want more sub bass. Reason being is when u take it off, it adds a significant amount of sub bass and warmth, but to me, it's perfect. :)
well, I already have the serial and the sub bass is decent on that so maybe I will let the Vortex live in peace.

Aug 11, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #5,447 of 13,646
Well just the white filter inside the vent port. It's a small little thing that takes almost nothing to take it out.

But do this only if you feel like u want more sub bass. Reason being is when u take it off, it adds a significant amount of sub bass and warmth, but to me, it's perfect. :)
I don't notice much warmth added but my interpretation of warmth may be different than yours. I really want to measure them with the mod because my gut says that it reverses the roll-off that happens around 90Hz and results in a nice bass shelf

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #5,448 of 13,646
I don't notice much warmth added but my interpretation of warmth may be different than yours. I really want to measure them with the mod because my gut says that it reverses the roll-off that happens around 90Hz and results in a nice bass shelf
Yea maybe not "warmth", but a much larger presence of bass. I can not only hear it, but feel it. And I think you're right with reversing the roll off. I think Penon was going for a specific sound signature with the Vortex when they slapped the filter on there. But they secretly packed in a wonderfully designed vent that could double as a bassheads dream when tinkered with. Haha 😂

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #5,449 of 13,646
So call me crazy.... But I think I made the Vortex sound even better by changing out the nozzle grill. This is what I switched it with:
7F3E0DC1-B116-4A73-836E-D24E108B8EBC.jpeg

The sound seems punchier and crisper to my ears. Overall an even more enjoyable experience!

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #5,451 of 13,646
Did you take the dampening filter off that was in the nozzle as well?
No I did not. I left the dampening filter in there. Just swapped out the metal grill. :)

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #5,452 of 13,646
Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #5,453 of 13,646
Shameless plug: if someone want to buy a mint pair of Vortex mine are for sale on classifieds.
Thanks all.

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #5,456 of 13,646
Well I’m 100% happy with the Vortex but you all know what curiosity does… so I tried the bass mod.

With filter:

EC38E3F9-5FC3-49D6-B788-C629E509DB5A.jpeg

Vortex filter, with the needle that I used to remove it, for comparison:

84DFC43E-A79A-497D-81CF-709E33348DC6.jpeg

Without filter:

6EF7EB49-8C82-4552-B78C-6AB054F5DDF9.jpeg

Listening to it as I type and it’s almost as though someone threw a new bass DD in there.

What I’m hearing is a nice thicc slab of sub bass. It rolls into a tasteful mid bass hump and warms up the mids a bit. Upper mids onwards are pretty much untouched as far as I can tell.

It’s funny but this mod makes the Vortex sound more like ye olde classic Penon. The bass, that warm tilt. Just that you get to keep the new, improved treble.

Verdict

Try the bass mod if: you want to use your Vortex for the likes of Chemical Brothers and Massive Attack, or if you simply want to feel some sub bass. Or if you miss classic Penon tuning.

Maybe think twice if: you listen mostly to acoustic instruments and love the texture and detail in stock Vortex bass. I will say that this was one of the things that gave Vortex its special sauce.

So I have a foot in both camps but will listen for a few more days and tip- and cable-roll a bit before deciding whether or not to put the filters back.

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #5,457 of 13,646
Good review. I also found a certain similarity in sound between the Penon Globe and the Sony IER-Z1R.
So nice to hear a parallel view on the subject. I just went with the idea after the Globe was insistent.............asking me to pull the IER out.......surprisingly they did share a couple tuning similarities?

Aug 13, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #5,458 of 13,646
Well I’m 100% happy with the Vortex but you all know what curiosity does… so I tried the bass mod.

With filter:

EC38E3F9-5FC3-49D6-B788-C629E509DB5A.jpeg

Vortex filter, with the needle that I used to remove it, for comparison:

84DFC43E-A79A-497D-81CF-709E33348DC6.jpeg

Without filter:

6EF7EB49-8C82-4552-B78C-6AB054F5DDF9.jpeg

Listening to it as I type and it’s almost as though someone threw a new bass DD in there.

What I’m hearing is a nice thicc slab of sub bass. It rolls into a tasteful mid bass hump and warms up the mids a bit. Upper mids onwards are pretty much untouched as far as I can tell.

It’s funny but this mod makes the Vortex sound more like ye olde classic Penon. The bass, that warm tilt. Just that you get to keep the new, improved treble.

Verdict

Try the bass mod if: you want to use your Vortex for the likes of Chemical Brothers and Massive Attack, or if you simply want to feel some sub bass. Or if you miss classic Penon tuning.

Maybe think twice if: you listen mostly to acoustic instruments and love the texture and detail in stock Vortex bass. I will say that this was one of the things that gave Vortex its special sauce.

So I have a foot in both camps but will listen for a few more days and tip- and cable-roll a bit before deciding whether or not to put the filters back.
So glad you liked the mod as much as I did! What I found tho was that you need a pure silver cable to somewhat tame that bass. Even then it's still pretty bassy. But I love it 😃

Also I use Azla lite tips. That's a great combination I feel with this mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back