The PENON official thread
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #5,461 of 13,798
So glad you liked the mod as much as I did! What I found tho was that you need a pure silver cable to somewhat tame that bass. Even then it's still pretty bassy. But I love it 😃

Also I use Azla lite tips. That's a great combination I feel with this mod.

Azla Sedna tips are great with the Vortex. I’m using long-stemmed regular Sednas (and before that, the lite ones, until I located the regular ones) and I think they will stay on the Vortex, mod or not.

So I just tried a bunch of silver cables including the Leo and Flow, but my conclusion so far is that silver sacrifices too much bass/sub bass impact (which is after all the raison d’être for the mod) and the Vortex needs a bit of copper for that visceral thump.

The good news is that the stock cable - CS819 - doesn’t do too badly at all. With the OS849 (my preferred pairing with stock Vortex), the bass can be almost too much of a good thing at times; the CS819 actually does a better job of keeping some of the texture and detail of stock Vortex.

I really am not a fan of tuning switches in general - once I settle on a setting I like, I tend to leave it on that and never use the switches again - but I have to say that a switch or some sort of bass tuning dial would have been real sweet here.

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #5,462 of 13,798
Which penon iem is Vortex without the filters most similar to?

Short answer: Serial for bass/sub bass, Globe for mids/treble.

Not-so-short answer:

Modded Vortex has more bass and sub bass than the Serial in terms of sheer quantity and impact but less detail, texture and general refinement.

From the mids upwards, modded Vortex resembles the Globe more, but the Globe is warmer and lusher and you will hear this especially in most female and higher male vocals.

It’s interesting, but this little modding exercise has made clearer to me that all three have their place in the Penon lineup and none of them supersedes the others.

Aug 14, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #5,463 of 13,798
Azla Sedna tips are great with the Vortex. I’m using long-stemmed regular Sednas (and before that, the lite ones, until I located the regular ones) and I think they will stay on the Vortex, mod or not.

So I just tried a bunch of silver cables including the Leo and Flow, but my conclusion so far is that silver sacrifices too much bass/sub bass impact (which is after all the raison d’être for the mod) and the Vortex needs a bit of copper for that visceral thump.

The good news is that the stock cable - CS819 - doesn’t do too badly at all. With the OS849 (my preferred pairing with stock Vortex), the bass can be almost too much of a good thing at times; the CS819 actually does a better job of keeping some of the texture and detail of stock Vortex.

I really am not a fan of tuning switches in general - once I settle on a setting I like, I tend to leave it on that and never use the switches again - but I have to say that a switch or some sort of bass tuning dial would have been real sweet here.
Ah I see. Yes I found that SPC adds some more authority to the bass, but I feel that while silver takes away some impact, it makes the bass texture more revealing. Ha, and when I made that statement about taming the bass with a silver cable, I forgot I had xBass turned on with my Gryphon. 😂 So yes, your argument holds water for sure, but xBass plus silver is wonderful. I'll have to try an SPC and see how that sounds again... And +1 for Azla sedna tips for the Vortex! Really good synergy there. :)

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #5,464 of 13,798
DSC00126.JPG

This is some brilliant use of the OS133 cable. I have been testing out Fiios recent BTR7 bluetooth dac/amp. 4.4mm OS133 pigtail adaptor. They are using double the cores from the OS133, more material makes a difference here. Adding the OS133 to a source brings a bit more analogue tonal twist to a source. Especially when the source is more neutral in presentation. Where this pigtail will help a sound is for earphones that are a bit too bright and need more organic tonality, naturalness and space. Using something like a pure silver cable, this adaptor will enhance or add a bit more of a copper property to pure silver cables. Anything transparent will benefit as these will enhance a bit of space and stage as they do for earphones the OS133s are attached to.

I also have a OS133 interconnect and again the interconnect in between a source and a neutral amp, enhances the amplification stage adding more space and stage with a more organic quality. Worth grabbing a set? Absolutely. These are not as enhancing as the Totem adaptors but in the same token they do just enough to smooth out and enhance anything edgy sounding adding a bit of natural warmth. These ended up being a great new product for Penon. Something you would never think would add to your source sound quality but that is exactly what they do.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #5,465 of 13,798
Quick naive question...
I have $350 bongo bucks to burn.

It's down to the B2 Dusk or the Globe.

Which is the more worthwhile set for a bass-leaning lad like myself. This young padawan needs your expertise...

(I'm kinda tilted towards the Globe)

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #5,466 of 13,798
Well I can say the Globes are physically more comfortable, beyond just the sound quality aspect of them. Blessing 2 will feel like you got rocks in your ears. Big large rocks.

1660593813678.png

The Globe size wise is in the middle of these two IEMs. Blessing 2 shown is of course the big boy. Ya and that is without the tip on them.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #5,467 of 13,798
Well I can say the Globes are physically more comfortable, beyond just the sound quality aspect of them. Blessing 2 will feel like you got rocks in your ears. Big large rocks.

1660593813678.png

The Globe size wise is in the middle of these two IEMs. Blessing 2 shown is of course the big boy. Ya and that is without the top on them.
dsnuts I'm curious and nosy; what is your background? Are you the CEO of an audio company? All your comments are most excellent and I have learned to regard all your comments with trust and admiration!

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #5,468 of 13,798
dsnuts I'm curious and nosy; what is your background? Are you the CEO of an audio company? All your comments are most excellent and I have learned to regard all your comments with trust and admiration!
Lol. Na I am an ordinary fella. I used to own and run 4 businesses doors at one time though but not anymore. I do a 9-5 gig nowadays. I did attend a lot of concerts and was a part of a punkcore metal band scene during my younger days. Our band name. ASBESTOSAURUS. Yes those were the days. Reason why I have a soft spot in my heart for anything with an edgy guitar riff.

I was born with a lot of music around me as my father owned the only record shop in all of Suwon S Korea during the late 60s early 70s. So it was natural for me to be into my music. Been collecting music and gear all my life and have been around headfi since 2011.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #5,469 of 13,798
Lol. Na I am an ordinary fella. I used to own and run 4 businesses doors at one time though but not anymore. I do a 9-5 gig nowadays. I did attend a lot of concerts and was a part of a punkcore metal band scene during my younger days. Our band name. ASBESTOSAURUS. Yes those were the days. Reason why I have a soft spot in my heart for anything with an edgy guitar riff.

I was born with a lot of music around me as my father owned the only record shop in all of Suwon S Korea during the late 60s early 70s. So it was natural for me to be into my music. Been collecting music all my life and have been around headfi since 2011.
Awesome. We appreciate you, brother. But I have to disagree on the Moonlight; can't resolve those forwards mids...but that stock cable is better than my 1K$ PWAudio cable, go figure. I'm going to sell the Moonlight (and keep the cable) and try out the Oriolus Szalayi next. Have you heard it? Have you heard the Raptgo Hook?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #5,470 of 13,798
Awesome. We appreciate you, brother. But I have to disagree on the Moonlight; can't resolve those forwards mids...but that stock cable is better than my 1K$ PWAudio cable, go figure. I'm going to sell the Moonlight (and keep the cable) and try out the Oriolus Szalayi next. Have you heard it? Have you heard the Raptgo Hook?

It is vertually impossible for any earphone to have universal love so I can understand. You should have no issues with selling off the Moonlights if thats what you plan on doing. I noticed Penon brought the price down a bit by $5 to $69 for the cable now. Excellent cable for the price I agree.

@drbluenewmexico keep telling me about the Szalayis. Would love to try Raptigo Hooks, all in due time I suppose but there is something new that pops up just about every day. So many IEMs. I wish I had another set of ears to help listen to em all.

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #5,471 of 13,798
It is vertually impossible for any earphone to have universal love so I can understand. You should have no issues with selling off the Moonlights if thats what you plan on doing. I noticed Penon brought the price down a bit by $5 to $69 for the cable now. Excellent cable for the price I agree.

@drbluenewmexico keep telling me about the Szalayis. Would love to try Raptigo Hooks, all in due time I suppose but there is something new that pops up just about every day. So many IEMs. I wish I had another set of ears to help listen to em all.
The Hook is exceptional; it's special. Now I understand people hear things differently, ear canal shape and resonance and all that good stuff...but a lot of people have tried the Hook and have come away saying it is the best at any price, myself included. Someone critiqued the Hook and said it needed more resolution in the mids, and I agree, but I also didn't even notice it until they commented. A friend of a friend sold his Erlongs after hearing the Hook. I listened one time out of the box and immedietly fell out of love with my LCD-X, and sold it, never looking back. I figure I would have to buy a $3,000 headphone to do what the hook does for me (on the Monnlight stock cable, no less), at $239. I'll tell you what. If you want o review the Hook I'll send you mine for review, just keep it for as long as you need then send it back. i would love to hear your opinion. If you are interested send me a PM and give me a shipping address! :smile_cat:

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #5,472 of 13,798
Quick naive question...
I have $350 bongo bucks to burn.

It's down to the B2 Dusk or the Globe.

Which is the more worthwhile set for a bass-leaning lad like myself. This young padawan needs your expertise...

(I'm kinda tilted towards the Globe)
If you like bass the Globes will not let you down!

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #5,473 of 13,798
The Hook is exceptional; it's special. Now I understand people hear things differently, ear canal shape and resonance and all that good stuff...but a lot of people have tried the Hook and have come away saying it is the best at any price, myself included. Someone critiqued the Hook and said it needed more resolution in the mids, and I agree, but I also didn't even notice it until they commented. A friend of a friend sold his Erlongs after hearing the Hook. I listened one time out of the box and immedietly fell out of love with my LCD-X, and sold it, never looking back. I figure I would have to buy a $3,000 headphone to do what the hook does for me (on the Monnlight stock cable, no less), at $239. I'll tell you what. If you want o review the Hook I'll send you mine for review, just keep it for as long as you need then send it back. i would love to hear your opinion. If you are interested send me a PM and give me a shipping address! :smile_cat:
How do you compare the Hook-X to the Vortex? It's the only IEM that has continually piqued my interest

Aug 15, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #5,474 of 13,798
Mighty nice of you. I have 4 items I am reviewing at the moment. Once the dust settles I might have to hit you up to hear those. Will keep you in mind when the time comes.

Aug 15, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #5,475 of 13,798
How do you compare the Hook-X to the Vortex? It's the only IEM that has continually piqued my interest
The Vortex is good. It's 1 and only problem is the sound stage lacks depth. The sound itself is wonderful, tho. More than once while 'criticaly' listening with the Vortex did I just completley forget myself and just get lost in the music...only to shake my head 1/2 hour later to snap out of it. The Vortex has the "classic penon tuning" which generally means a very dynamic, organic, natural DD sound. The Vortex has great PRaT, e.g. very engaging and musical. yes, a little warm, lush in the mids but great layering (despite the shallow stage) and very sophisticated tuning all around. The kind of 'all rounder' set where you can listen to 'ambient' music, then throw on Sabbath's 13, and either way the Vortex comes out to play.

The Hook, however is the Holy Grail of IEMs, I mean, this thing is sublime... At any price, let alone $239. Now I can do without the stock cable, but using my PWAudio Monile MKII or the Yanyin stock cable, the Hook just transcends. First of all the main driver is planar, and I love planar. then you have the "piexoelectric" or "Bone conduction" driver for the highs. I've seen some peopl critisice the bone conduction on the Hook, but I think they misunderstand it. The bone conduction on the Hook is the best implementation I have yet heard. I have owned the MEST, The MEXT. I demoed the EVO, and all of them, the treble is too forward and brash. On the Hook, the treble is invisible, and excellent. By Invisible, I mean, you never notice them, but If I asked you in the middle of a song, "How is the treble?", you would say the treble is perfect.
I think the ultimate success of the Raptgo Hook lies in the fundamental synergy between the planar driver and the bone conduction driver. Also the Hook scales amazing.... I am listening on my desktop now with the Moonlighgt cable and its perfect in every way! the Holy Grail! Maybe I will start an audition tour....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back